• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kalispell City (S27) Needs Your Help

mountainmatt

CO
For those of you not aware the Kalispell City airport is in the middle of some controversy. The FAA, among others, has recommended that the city upgrade the airport to meet existing standards. There is a small but vocal group in the city that would like to ultimately shut the airport down. Those of us that have been there know how great this little airport is. The local MPA president asked myself as the state MPA president to do what we can to support the airport.
Our webmaster Willie Stene and I have put together some info and are looking for your help. Please take the time to write a letter to the editor at the link provided. The points to hit are that you prefer this airport over GPI as it is convenient to town and that you are from out of town and use this airport and go to the nearby businesses.

Scott Newpower
MPA President

MPA is an organization committed to assisting communities in promoting and securing aviation resources for the use of pilots around the state. Currently the city of Kalispell is actively engaged in a local ballot initiative to upgrade their airport facilities and the local pilot community along with the Kalispell Chamber of Commerce have been diligently working on educating voters on the value of this aviation asset.

The time to vote is coming near and the local supporting airport group, "Save Our Airport", can use our support to assist in getting the word out to voters on the value of such an asset to the community. To assist in their efforts we can provide financial support to assist with mailing flyers, newspaper advertising, or even personally writing a letter to the editor in support of the Kalispell City Airport.

To donate financially to the "Save Our Airport" organization follow the attached link:
http://www.kalispellcityairport.org/#!donate/c1vud

Or submit a letter to the editor to the local newspaper by following the attached instructions:
"LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: The Daily Inter Lake welcomes letters to the editor from its readers on subjects of general interest. Letters may be submitted for consideration to the Daily Inter Lake by email at edit@dailyinterlake.com, by mail at PO BOX 7610, Kalispell, MT 59901 or by clicking here. Letters should be kept to 300 words or less, and must include the author's name, address and telephone number for verification purposes. Only the name and hometown will be published. Not all letters will be printed. Letters that engage in profanity, name-calling or address narrow personal interests will be rejected. The Daily Inter Lake reserves the right to edit letters for brevity and clarity."

MPA with the assistance of "Save Our Airport" has assembled a webpage to provide our members and others a location to easily read up on the facts of this campaign and what it means to the Kalispell City airport facilities and pilots. You can view this page here:http://www.montanapilots.org/kalispell.asp

Please do as I did, give a few bucks and write a email/letter to support a great airport!
-Matt

It's a very cool little airport, I was just there in 2012.

sj

Sent an email off. Will be through there today. Coming from Missoula to Kalispell is going to blow if we have to use Glacier int.

Yeah - I remember a beautiful grass strip. Why on earth would the FAA want to mess it up - to further reduce GA activity?

It's asphalt, but it's a xc pilot's dream: bar, motel (with pilot rates), several restaurants, a mo gas station, a big full service grocery store......ALL within walking distance! Friendly and helpful FBO also. If I was President, all airports would be set up like Kalispel. The bar is close also. Even a near by river with gravel bars, just saying.

Contrast that to the sterile and remote Glacier International, ( with a control tower no less) and the choice is clear, land "in town", and keep it real.

It's asphalt, but it's a xc pilot's dream: bar, motel (with pilot rates), several restaurants, a mo gas station, a big full service grocery store......ALL within walking distance! Friendly and helpful FBO also. If I was President, all airports would be set up like Kalispel. The bar is close also. Even a near by river with gravel bars, just saying.

Contrast that to the sterile and remote Glacier International, ( with a control tower no less) and the choice is clear, land "in town", and keep it real.

Well said! I hope all org members will consider helping with this cause. I couldn't imagine Kalispel without this tremendous attribute!

This is another timely post.

I'm planning a trip to Kalispell to see son over Thanksgiving. I'll be glad to have a first hand account of S27 and write a letter.

Also looking for recommendation for where to park so as to plug in night before departure. Also want to look at Ferndale (53U) as it
is closer to his house.

Kem

Check with the Aero Inn - located on the field. I think they have plug-in's or are at least close enough to run a cord.
http://www.hotels.com/ho225228/aero-inn-kalispell-united-states/?gclid=CI361ebrsroCFbFxQgodnQ0Avg

Thanks spinner2, Looks like we'll try to tie up at ferndale 53u, as it's much closer to his house. I will call the # thats on file in foreflight "contact" for Ferndale. If that doesn't work out will go to Aero Inn.
I may go in to s27 for gas for trip home, or go south to Polson or Ronan.

Thanks.. Kem

Thanks spinner2, Looks like we'll try to tie up at ferndale 53u, as it's much closer to his house. I will call the # thats on file in foreflight "contact" for Ferndale. If that doesn't work out will go to Aero Inn.
I may go in to s27 for gas for trip home, or go south to Polson or Ronan.

Thanks.. Kem

Keep a eye on the wind, my friend lives right by the airport and he says the down drafts are bad there at times. Has a few wrecks due to that.

Bill

Back