• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sudden Loss of Right Stick Travel

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I am going to air out some of my dirty laundry for my friends here on sc.org, in hopes that you will learn from an experience I had on the return flight from visiting the good folks in the Kansas City and 3EX area.

On the way down to KC from the Twin Cities I stopped for fuel at Creston, IA (KCSQ), which had self-serve fuel at reasonable prices and a grass strip running at 04-22. I made a mental note to stop by there on my way home, as well.

I left Noah's Ark airstrip (06MO) on Monday morning early, Laura Johnson being kind enough to drop me off at the airstrip and soon I was on my way home. As is my custom when flying alone in the super cub, I had my backpack strapped tightly on the rear seat and I keep a water bottle on the rear seat floorboard, just in front of a flight bag in which I have my personal 406 ELT and an ICOM A24 radio, in case of radio failure. The flight bag also often contains a granola bar are two in case I am starving on a longer flight. All of that is to the right of the rear control stick, and to the left of t22,he control stick is where I place a spare DC headset. All of this is in a position so that there is no obstruction or limitation of movement of the rear control stick, but within easy reach should I need to get to them.

As usual, I "stirred the pot" by moving my control stick through it's range of motion and it moved freely and easily, and off I went from Noah's Ark, heading north toward the Twin Cities. I had planned to stop, once again, at KCSQ, given the grass strip and the friendly people I had met there. I flew into KCSQ without any problems an hour or two north of 06MO, stretched my legs and refueled, drained my bladder, checked my backpack to make certain it was secure and climbed back into the cockpit, taxiing out for takeoff on 22, given that the wind was 190 at 10 knots. I stirred the pot again, gave N82667 the gas and took off, left wing down so as to crab slightly into the wind, making what was supposed to be a gentle left turn that I intended to hold until I was on the on course heading of north.

All was well until I decided the bank was developing a bit too much to the left, so I moved the stick to the right, wanting to go a bit right of center in order to level the wings. It was then that I knew I had a problem, in that I hit a dead end on stick travel at just slightly right of center. The bank angle was slowly increasing to the left and I moved the stick even harder to the right but could not get it to move past about center. In essence, I was unable to stop the bank or the turn with right stick movement and I could see that I was in deep trouble. I reached behind me to see what the heck was blocking the right travel of the control stick, and I came up empty. The backpack was securely in place, my flight bag was nowhere near the stick and I could feel the headset lying on the floor away from the stick. No luck with identifying the cause of stick movement limitation. I needed to try something else.

I reduced power to slow the plane down and there was a slight relaxation of the bank angle, and application of rudder helped to lower the right wing slightly, arresting the increase in bank angle. I recalled my mountain flying mentor, Tuck Barrett, telling me that if I couldn't figure out anything else to do and I was not in great control of the aircraft, I should put in 10 degrees of bank. "Noone should crash an airplane without first adding 10 degrees of flaps", he told me more than once, so I thought this might be an opportune time to throw on the first notch of flaps, and I did, further reducing the left bank angle to level flight.

At that point I knew that I was going to be turning to the left, and not to the right, and I wanted to get my fanny back onto terra firma, so I decided to make a wide arcing turn around to intercept and land on runway 22. I made a really wide, slow, gentle-banking turn toward the left, aligning with the very wide, beautiful grass runway, using throttle and rudder to bring my onto the runway. I landed and taxied up to the building where the mechanic/cropduster who ran the airport, Larry West, was standing watching me intently. I shut down the engine, crawled out of the cockpit and told him what had just happened. We looked carefully and the backpack was secured and was a non-factor, as was the flight bag. Nothing had slipped out of the flightbag to cause the problem but the the stick was clearly not able to be moved right of center.

I looked at the headset and it was lying there well away from the stick and I was wondering what the heck could be wrong here. Then I looked more closely and found the problem.

The headset was there, with the cord wrapped carefully around it, just as I had positioned it when I left Noah's Ark.

IMG_9886.jpg

The problem was not the headset, but rather the plug at the end of the cord. The plug had slid down into the cut-out near the aft stick, apparently after liftoff following refueling, and had become a very, very solid wedge between the aft control stick and the stop which limits the stick travel...

IMG_9888.jpg
This photo was taken on the opposite side (right) to demonstrate the problem that had occurred on the left side. The plug had become an extension of the stop, so to speak, limiting the travel of the stick to the right. This explained the problem I had, and it is now my guess that the jarring of the takeoff induced the travel of the plug to that position.

It was a relief to know what had happened, but I am pretty disgusted with myself in not recognizing the potential danger that objects on the floorboard might pose to safe flight. I really had felt that I might not be able to control the degree of roll and that I would end up inverted should I not be able to lower the right wing.

There you have it. I can assure you that the floorboard was cleaned off when I departed the grass strip subsequently, and it will be free of items that could make this happen again. I am sure that most of you don't keep things on the rear board, but if you do please BEWARE! This could cause trouble.

OK, the dirty laundry is out there:)

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_9886.jpg
    IMG_9886.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_9888.jpg
    IMG_9888.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 227
Thanks, nanook, I have seen this and considered it, but I like having the stick for the rear passenger to fly the plane once in awhile. It looks easy to install, though, so I might have to give this some thought. Thank you.

Randy

Randy

Good post. We can all learn from stories like yours. I have filed it away in my brain.....and will double check loose items near the floor....front and rear.

Lou

The cover pops in and out with two side latches. In and out in ten seconds. I've used one for over twenty years.

I've had a similar experience, but for me it was a camera lens cap and I was able to "over power it" and break it. It is a scary moment when your stick is locked. It's good to stay calm and think in these situations. I once had a salty old instructor tell me the first "thing" you should do when something goes wrong is "nothing", think a second or two.

sj

Randy
I will get you a shot of the cover at the base of the stick in MD. It covers this area and allows the stick to be used.
Thanks for the life lesson and I am glad it was free.
John

Sterile cockpit applies to more than just idle chat. A DeHavilland Dragon Rapide was lost with fatal results in the UK when a simple leather strap used as the control lock became tangled in the yoke. A Scout doing banner training in Florida had a thermos slip down behind the seats with fatal results. One night I was departing the old South Norfolk VA airfield in an L-19 Bird Dog (which we used as a smoke writer) loaded with tools, spares, a barrel pump and so on. The belly was oily and dirty, inside and out, from a long Skywriting project. I lifted the tail and when ready for rotation rolling down the runway, found the stick jammed rock solid. I cut the throttle and rolled nervously to a stop with the tail bouncing up and down with full forward stick jammed in place. After removing every bit of junk from the back, we opened the belly inspection plates and found a teeny, tiny pebble jammed in the elevator pulleys. It just didn't want to come out, but once free the elevators flopped down and all was functional. From then on, I've been a PIA to the point of driving my wife nuts about her pocket book, kids toys and water bottles on the floor of the car. Like they say, God is in the details. Randy, good that you share. Could have already saved someone's life.

Very glad you are OK.

Thanks for sharing Randy. You may have saved a life (rather than starting one)

Bill

Randy, glad to hear that your experience turned out well. And a good warning for us. Thanks for sharing it.

The same can apply to the rear throttle. I remember reaching into the back of my PA18 and unknown to me getting my headset cords wrapped around the throttle lever. When I turned forward again the throttle went to wide open. The cords plugged into the left wing root.

And I've heard of a story of cargo shifting and fouling a rear rudder pedal.

When I put my present Cub together I left out all rear controls for this reason.

Doug, someone who is not a super cub driver asked me if there is a boot that comes "standard" with the aircraft, and I don't recall seeing anyone with that sort of apparatus. That would be the answer if one wishes to keep the second stick in place. Atlee's cover is the ticket if one doesn't want the stick, period (thanks, again, nanook). John, I'll look forward to seeing the photo!

Thank you, Randy, for the lesson in securing the cabin. I'm so glad this event ended without an NTSB report.

Anne.

Randy, Way to keep a cool head and save yourself. Thanks for being willing to post this. You might of saved more lives than your own. I'm glad your okay. Greg

I've known of at least two cases of similar control loss from empty shotgun shells getting jammed in the rear stick. Fortunately, the gunner was able to remove the shells before the plane hit the ground. In both cases, the owner installed the Atlee Dodge rear stick cover before the next flight.

I have it on mine, and it takes less than a minute to remove the stick and pop the cover on. Reinstalling the stick may take a minute and a half. If I'm hauling anything in the backseat other than a passenger - the cover gets installed.

Been there, done that got the stained shorts to prove it... Randy, thanks so much for posting!

So, Gentlepersons of the AI persuasion, what would be the chance of getting a field approval for a shifter boot cover?

"Minor alteration, no logbook entry required"?

...I hope?....

Last edited:
Happened to two different people I know (besides you Randy.. :D - One was a pack shift departing out of Rankin Inlet in a 135 Cub (survived after much scrambling) and the other guy had a passenger in the rear seat who let the bottom of a camera monopod jam down in there just as the pilot was maneuvering. Of course the pilot starting applying LOTS of force trying to get the controls to move to come out of the maneuver and the photographer couldn't remove the monopod with the pressure on it... once they figured out what was going on between them the pilot pushed the controls in the direction he DIDN'T want to go for an instant and the monopod popped out. Whew!

I had it happen in my J4 when I was in the Adirondacks on skis. Came in to land and I couldn't pull the stick back past neutral. J4 has a trim tab and a fixed stab so trimming wasn't going to help any. Flew around for awhile trying to figure out what was blocking the controls but was afraid to move the stick foward any more because I didn't want to lose what little I had.
I tried pulling back harder but still the same travel. I discovered that above 60mph and full power that the nose would come up about 10 degrees. So I found a spot on a lake where the snowmobiles had hard packed the snow. I played with the throttle and controled my decent a little at a time till I was lined up with the hardpack and landed at about 70mph bouncing over the bumps that made me fly again and adding power to try to keep the tail happy and not flip over. After I got stopped I found one of those round 2" plastic earplug cases wedged between the bellcrank and the bellcrank support. I pulled on the stick and it took alot of pressure before it broke so if I had done that while flying it would have broken the case but while I was up there I didn't know that and didn't want to take a chance and lose what little I had. I now look under the seat every time before I fly. I think if your totally out of control try everything you can to regain control, but if your still flying and have enough control to get back on the ground don't change anything or you risk losing what you know you have.

Glenn

I glued fabric scraps to the floorboards to keep "stuff" out'a the belly. Works well & is easy to remove/replace if necessary.

Scary stuff Randy! Glad you kept your head and got the plane safely on the ground.

Reading your post got me thinking....I might have thrown something on the back seat without securing it....and never thinking twice about it. I know that isn't what caused this in your case...but it sure could have for someone.

In addition to the discussion about the rear stick and covers....it also bring out how important it is to review your emergency procedures. So often we read about people who forgot about flying the airplane in the time of crisis. Kudos to you Randy! You made some quick checks to see if the problem could be resolved easily but flew the airplane first and foremost.

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

A leatherett stick boot with a vertical velcroed slit on the right side so you could easily open it up during preflight.

Glenn

Good post, thanks for sharing. Even better that all ended up well. I wonder if we had an anonymous ID for this type of stuff, like the medical one, if we might get more confessions and tips! We all learn a lot around the campfire because of stories like this, and the "I have a friend who..." type stories :)

My L-21 has a leather boot that fits over the area around the rear stick. The boot is captured by a thin, square aluminum frame screwed to the floorboard. I've been told it was installed by military users to prevent shells from rolling that area, just like Randy's headset connector did. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it this weekend. I don't see it on the parts list, and I've been told that certification is a little questionable. My plane was re-certified to civilian service as-is, so we've kept it.

I think I have seen a drawing of that somewhere sjohnson. I was told it was standard or at least common on the military cubs as well.

Randy, good lesson for all of us. Glad it had a happy outcome. I have the Atlee stick cover and it takes less than 10 seconds to remove the cover & install the rear stick. Well worth it.
Windy

Randy, so glad you made it safely!

Here is a stick boot from Northland PA-18 drawings, listed in "Misc. parts"
Stick Boot in Northland Drwgs.jpg
And Univair has it listed:
Univair Stick Boot.jpg

Attachments

• Stick Boot in Northland Drwgs.jpg
    Stick Boot in Northland Drwgs.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 173
  • Univair Stick Boot.jpg
    Univair Stick Boot.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 164
Whew, when I read the title,, I thought this was goin to be a medical matters problem I was going to have to deal with .....

Back