• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ferry trip from Hayward, CA (Near SFO) to Minnesota

MN_flyer1

Hutchinson, MN
Looking to pick up a C-177 (sorry it's non-Piper) in HWD in the next few weeks. What is the recommended route for a return trip to MN? My first glance has a flight near Reno,NV through Wendover, UT and Ogden, UT then across WY.

Not familiar with the weather or terrain West of Wendover so appreciate any in-sight.

Going South is also and option. Since it is an unfamiliar plane to me I would like to avoid very high and desolate country.

Tim

PS> Johnson creek is sure tempting though.

I've done SFO area to Boston, but the important part of the route is similar. The route we got (IFR) was pretty much just north of the SWR then REO into KOGD. From KOGD it was about over OCS then we got direct into wherever we went into Nebraska. We would have been fine down lower flying VFR, but we're up high on the O2 getting the tailwind. The elevation in CA was not too bad but the rte went over some fairly remote areas so you may consider from KHWD go north and follow HWY 80. That comes out by Ogden, and you can continue over that for the rest of the fun part through the mountains, especially if you're VFR. If you're IFR, you're going to be better off bringing an O2 bottle along for the CA portion for sure because the MEA's are still pretty close to the tops of the peaks and you'll get a much better ride higher up. If you need specifics I can dig through my flight logs and pull up the specific route.

Bring the camera for sure, the scenery east of the people in CA is pretty spectacular.

Well O2 would be a help but will for sure be VFR. Any issues getting an O2 bottle in luggage on an airline?

On a nice day the flight to Reno is simply gorgeous. You do not need Oxygen, and as I recall, 7500 will give you buckets of terrain clearance. I have done it in a J-3, a Citabria, a Mooney, and a bunch of turbines. Going up the railroad you may want to swing north at Jackpot to Twin Falls and over Cheyenne, to avoid the Rocky Mountains west of DEN.

172s are not known for high altitude takeoff performance. Be very careful of density altitude problems, and operating well below gross is probably a very good idea.

It will be a 180hp Cardinal. That said it likely will be less performance than I am used to at that alt. Went to Ogden from MN last year in a PA22/20-150. Sure a sick duck at 90 degrees and high alt. I hope to be about 300 under gross wt. I really do want to take the route to Reno.

Very little experience in a Cardinal. I believe it to be an honorary Cherokee. The Sierras, in good weather, will be the most delightful part. The rest - hot and bumpy, with very long takeoff rolls.

About the lowest, easiest path into California is Lakeview, OR. A good, low route over the Rockies is South Pass, WY.

7500 feet is not a good altitude to cross the Sierras. Echo Summitt is 7382 feet and their are tress about 200 feet tall there. I have gone thru there in a cub at tree top heights, but no advisable. Have a lots of time intructing in C-177 180hp. They're a sled........performance is nothing to write home about......especially on a hot day, climb sucks. Still, you shouldn't have any trouble getting over the Sierras. A good place to cross in over highway 50 coming out on the southern edge of Tahoe, or even hiway 80 north of Lake Tahoe. Study the charts, leave early so you'll avoid thunderstorms, and obviously it'll be cooler. Some have suggested a southern route, i'd look at that too. Have a good flight.
Brian

Can't find Echo Summit. Truckee is 5900' and is a bit higher than the railroad. Donner Pass says 7088, but I believe the railroad is lower there. It has been a while, but again the easiest part, if the weather is good and the winds are reasonable, is the part from SFO to RNO. If you have to go to 8000' it cannot be a big deal.

But if the weather is crappy, or the winds are high, stop in Sacramento and go see the railroad museum. Lots safer.

Thanks for the input guys. We are sure looking forward to the trip. Winds and weather are always the biggest concern. Hopefully we can leave early morning.

Tim

best cure for poor density altitude performance???
go early! only bad part will be the sun in your eyes. but cool morning air will be smooth over the sierras. winemucca might make a good fuel stop.ogden by mid afternoon,good place to call it a day. follow I-80(more or less) till you hit the plains states.
there was that bad accident involving a cardinal in wyoming years ago. record seekers letting a little kid fly as a student pilot receiving dual instruction. took off into thunderstorm/ microburst conditions. what can you say? should be a rewarding journey. good luck
p.s. give sparky imeson"s mountain flying bible a read on the trip out. lots of good reference there

Tim, Have been watching your trip from Calif to MN. Saw you stopped in the middle of SD for quite a while was wondering if that was a planned stop? Tell us how the trip and every thing went.
Glad to see your just about home.

Safe travels.
Jon

Finally made it back. The stop in SD was at my brother's and father's place. Planned only an overnight but we had some issues with the flaps and a few other squawks to address that took a full day. Had the vacuum pump fail by Watertown, SD.

The trip was pretty good. Got started late on Friday morning due to a high CHT problem that did not make sense. Based on how quick it passed redline we basically assumed the sensor was bad and proceeded as normal. We paid for that later with a hot bumpy ride across Wy.

Overall the plane handled the mountains pretty well.

Tim

Back