• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuse Holder

Adolfo

Madrid-Spain
Hello again:
I'm now working on electrical and I found two things on my project:
* The fuse holder is broken and not used since .... I dont know. Batery positive connected to start solenoid directly and routed also to Master switch.
* It had not Voltage Regulator installed.

Is the fuse holder (nexto to battery) still in use?
If so, does anybody has a picture of it and where to find it?
If not, whats is the replacement part used for it?

For the voltage regulator, do you know any reason for not using it?

Thanks for your help
Adolfo

What kind of airplane. Sounds similar to like a PA 12. I found a new similar fuse holder at Grainger. But can't think of why you couldn't put a breaker in it's place.
but on the 12 there are 2 parallel fuses. The 12 had a 3 position master. ON OFF ON. Some alternators have a internal voltage regulator. This is the only reason I can think of voltage regulator not being used, doesn't sound legal. `

It is a PA18-150 (1970 manufactured).
I'm attaching some pictures of the question:

210820111666.jpg

210820111699.jpg

Attachments

• 210820111666.jpg
    210820111666.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 210820111699.jpg
    210820111699.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Whoa. That's some serious "old man" wiring. Time to rip that all out and start over. The wire and connectors are not aircraft grade and the spade fuses are not something I've seen on a certified aircraft.
The large wires could be inspected and reused if they are in good shape. Electrical fires are not much fun in a plane. This is a good place to go by the book.

Attached is a wiring diagram a friend of mind drew up for his PA-22. It will give you a general overview. It assumes you have an alternator conversion with an external regulator and an over voltage protection circuit. It also assumes a conversion to a two solenoid system as used no most modern planes. Be aware that there are two type of solenoid used for this application. Externally and internally grounded. You will need one of each. I believe the master internal and the starter is external. You will need to adjust the wire sizes to fit your run length and expected current. If you get stuck on the electrical stuff, get some help, You want to get this right.

Marc

Attachments

• kellys_pa22_wiring_diagram.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 173
Thanks falks for your help. I'm attaching also some pictures of the "unknow" alternator. Any idea of the manufacturer, type, characteristics, etc?

Thanks
Adolfo

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 119
I'm not sure of the brand. Perhaps Delco?. But I believe the "box" on the back is the regulator. No external regulator should be required to make this unit work.

Marc

Adolfo, there is a PA 18-150 schematic in the members section,under docs forms and info. Posted by Darrell Star.
I also agree it looks like time to start over with the wireing. Alternator looks like Interav to me, but they have a solid state external regulator (or over voltage protection) usually on the firewall next to a large blue electrolytic capacitor

I'm not positive, but I think if it was an Interav there it would have a two pin connector i the back to hook up the fields. I'm not able to check right now but someone here will have one.

Finally I found out that the alterantor is a "12072 LUCAS ALTERNATOR 12V; 55A; Int. Reg", used on some Massey Ferguson trackors.
The internal regulator avoids the use of the external reg and the wire from alternator is routed directly to GEN CB 25A.
Concerning the fuse holder, what could be the direfence if I use Cb instead of Fuses? I looks like "cleaner" the use of CB.

Thanks again
Adolfo

Back