• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fin to fuse gusset

Binty

South Island, New Zealand
do you guys put some sort of cover over the trim screw access hole in the small fairing / gusset where the fin joins the spine? mine never had anything except a fabric patch which always looked shabby. when i tried to patch my new fabric today, i couldnt get it looking right as it always either shrank into a scallop or was soft and wobbly. i was thinking of putting a light alloy cover in place then patching over top?

There should be a disk shaped cover held in place by two #4 sheet metal screws over the opening (under the fabric).

John Scott

If you put the cover under the fabric you will be hating life if you have to change a jack screw. If you want to make a cover put it over the fabric.

Last time I re- did my J-3 I left the entire thing off. The fabric shrunk to a very pleasing curve. I fly every day and keep the jack screw lubricated. It has literally thousands of hours and decades of wear, and is still ok.

covered the Airframe, then I put fabric gusset over the opening, taped over that, not Real happy with it, but looks OK, wish I would have asked the same question Binty asked, I would have put the cover over the opening first, like john and Mike recommended.

Rick :-?

Thanks for the Advice guys. I Covered, Shrank, Taped, Attached Alloy cover then Patched... As per attached images. Im very happy with the shape and its a lot better than the previous soft patch over the gusset hole I had!
Gusset 1.JPG Gusset 2.JPGGusset 3.JPG

Attachments

• Gusset 1.JPG
    Gusset 1.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Gusset 2.JPG
    Gusset 2.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Gusset 3.JPG
    Gusset 3.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 118
Back