• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catto Prop certification

Good one Perry! I'll just have to get used to the aieleron reversal, shouldn't take more than 3 flights though.:lol: Ironically I overheard Steve telling someone to do the same thing on the phone while Tom was installing mine. I'm sure he'll try that first if he thinks it's too bad like it is. Was hoping for the Cadillac ride after hearing about the extra stress the 360s put on the tail. It's possible that I'm just too picky, but either way I know Steve will get me hooked up. He's the kind of guy that really goes the extra mile, loves his job (if you can call it that, since he seems to love it) treats you like family, and truly cares about his people and their safety. Can't say enough about the guy. Very thankful he's only 1.5hrs away.

Don't worry no one will be watching your landing this time. . .

Ok Mr. Funny Man, something tells me it'll be one of those, "hey guys, here comes Hagar, drop what you're doing and come watch this!" :drinking: Get the score cards ready cause I've been practicing. There's at least a 2% chance that I'll nail the next one, then it won't be so funny!:banghead:

Actually, the smoothest landing I've ever made or will make was witnessed as I flew the Arrow into the 2010 Johnson Creek Supercub flyin.:smile: Unfortunately, I followed that up two days later with the worst take off I've ever done due to a failure in crew communications.:-(

Looking forward to when I can get behind my new Catto 78x54, looong ways out though.

Mark J

I talked to them at the airmens show. They said another year they were moving into a new facility to try and make the faa happy. They had a few things come up they've had to get done first. It sounded like there getting closer it's just the wonderful faa in the way again. Talking with airglas they've been fighting them to on there carbon fiber pod but they say it'll be out this fall in time for hunting season

Any news on Catto prop certification? Starting to look for a climb prop for my C90. I'm betting he has his hands full with the experimental market.

call Jim Drometer at Restoration Supplies, he has Sensenich wood prop stc for longer length, low pitch applications 952 873 6659 a nice guy who is very sharp about props

Come on.... The question was about Catto prop certification not wood props. The recommendation for contacting Jim is a good one but it is not on point. How is the Catto certification doing? Delayed, paused, stopped?

Come on.... The question was about Catto prop certification not wood props..

if you try to figure out why you CAN'T TO DO SOMETHING, you will ALWAYS succeed in NOT accomplish it in aviation.....

but usually, you gotta plan well & figure out how to succeed....

it's all about how you rationalize it...

...the SAME end result mod, done one way, is MAJOR, but if you are careful and approach it with plenty of thought, it can be covered as a MINOR....

Last edited:
Come on.... The question was about Catto prop certification not wood props. The recommendation for contacting Jim is a good one but it is not on point. How is the Catto certification doing? Delayed, paused, stopped?

The Catto is a wood prop. That's what Tom was getting at. It's just a wood prop.......

Paraphrasing a response from Craig Catto, the only update on the certification process is that the FAA has not been forthcoming on next steps. So it seems that it's still in limbo. Not surprising.

Regarding the sign-off by an IA of a Catto prop as a "wood prop," it's still up to the IA. His conversations with the Anchorage MIDO confirmed this. That they didn't just say "NO" is kind of encouraging to me, but the fed's non-committal answer falls far short of an approval. And that's coming from Anchorage... I imagine they are the most flexible of the bunch.

So, I wouldn't expect a type certificated prop any time soon, but a friendly IA might be willing to sign it off. It's a grey area, and one that safety inspectors and insurance companies are more likely to see as black and white if there's ever an incident.

Now with the changes in the certification standards and process to accept industry standards do we think the Catto prop is any closer to certification? I believe the Catto prop was certified by ASME so it is qualified by an industry standard.

Nobody knows what is going to come out of the changes coming out of the FAA on certification standards including the FAA people I have talked to. Nicole Catto told me they will not seek certification due to cost and current work load on experimental propellers but that their props are built to ASTM standards and hopefully the Re-Write will allow the installation of one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is such a huge let down, I should be accustomed to this by now though. Years of red tape, try decades...

I really wanted to get my hands on an 86/38 and go vertical.

Most of who I fly with have a Catto, mine ( J4 ) has a certified prop on it 8)

Glenn

So you just run with Outlaws? ;) Actually they are so common that when SJ's MT prop needed to be replaced he called me wanting to put a Catto on his Super Cub. He couldn't believe they weren't certified because he had seen so many of them installed on certified Super Cubs. It has been the source of much banter between he and I ever since. :)

The TCDS which I posted above is current. There is no date mentioned. I am curious as to why this: (101. Propeller - Wood (fixed or adjustable pitch). +9 lb. (-51)) does not apply to all J-3s?
It's my understanding a wooden prop (as described in the TSDS) is virtually 100% wood, not wood covered with composite.

It's my understanding a wooden prop (as described in the TSDS) is virtually 100% wood, not wood covered with composite.

Varnish, shellac, poly, splitting hairs? Is powder coat on a fus the same as zink cromate and paint like it left the factory?
Just stirring the pot ;-)

Glenn

Varnish, shellac, poly, splitting hairs? Is powder coat on a fus the same as zink cromate and paint like it left the factory?
Just stirring the pot ;-)

Glenn

I love a pot that gets stirred. I suspect the "construction" of the prop is the issue. The protective coating, not that much. Although most of the old wood props I see as decorative wall mountings have what appears as brass leading edges. Are those "wooden" props?

That's exactly what the local FSDO told me. It's the composite component that's their (engineering's) concern not necessarily the wood core. That's their story and they're apparently sticking to it until someone else relieves them of that unknown.

Edit: A couple of weeks back that Catto subject came up during a brief ramp visit. I asked and they're aware and looking was the general comment.

So why not offer a wood prop? Maybe the strength's not there in the current configuration without a composite covering.

I recall when 8:50x6 tires were a concern until they weren't.

Gary

Last edited:
I love a pot that gets stirred. Although most of the old wood props I see as decorative wall mountings have what appears as brass leading edges. Are those "wooden" props?

Glenn wears metal rimed glasses, is his head still wooden?;-)8):p

Depending where you fly, and how much you interact with the FAA, your mechanic may have his own view, and that view is gospel, as it is his license at stake.

I love a pot that gets stirred. I suspect the "construction" of the prop is the issue. The protective coating, not that much. Although most of the old wood props I see as decorative wall mountings have what appears as brass leading edges. Are those "wooden" props?
The "wood" props which I've seen have a fabric (usually was Grade A cotton) attached with an adhesive to the wood to prevent splitting of the wood fibers at the tips. What is to be said about extending this "fabric" over the entire propeller? I do not believe that there is any dimension given anywhere. Is not the "composite" a fabric? Pot stirred.

Back