• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oratex UL 6000 Fabric Covering

We covered our latest wings on the DoubleEnder prototype with Oratex fabric. I was simply amazed at how simple and quick the fabric went on. In two days we had both wings covered and flying, minus the tapes. I love the fact that it seems so simple to patch. Something that would really come in handy in places like Africa where fabric knowledge is limited and matching paints is a big challenge. Putting a patch on this is as easy as ironing on a pre-glued, pre-painted piece of fabric. The only downsides i could say would be that the finish is not as shiny as what I am used to with the previous methods and it seems that avgas will permanently stain it if it remains in contact for extended periods of time (such as a leaky fuel drain). We did weigh it compared to the stits process and it is about half the weight. It seems that you would save an honest 20 -25 lbs on a cub. It also seemed quite durable, but time will tell how it really holds up. I gave it a few smacks with some bushes while landing and it seemed to hold up just fine. Good stuff and I would use it again. The speed, simplicity and weight is what is most attractive to me.

Last edited:
Hi,
in response to "dplunkt": We do have a Standard Category Aircraft STC approval by the EASA, being the European-type-of-FAA. This was granted two weeks ago. We are also getting closer to an FAA STC on covering the Ragwing Pipers, but those things take time. As on the subject of time, the oldest Oratex-covered airplane is flying with it over 10 years now, and it still looks like and feels like it was on the first day. There has been some "Testing" by a fellow in France but it wasnt realistic as it allowed the backside of the fabric to get wet and be exposed to the sun, and be even attached to soaked wet wood, while any plane would have fabric on both sides of the wings and have weather/waterproof wings and varnished wood. So under reasonable conditions we expect it to last a very long time. The Oratex on the cowl seems to have no problems even in the heat of Texas. FAA wanted us to proof our glue at 239Fahrenheit and we did proof it is fine at 250F and even beyond. It melts only ONCE at the 200F. Once cured it will only melt at much higher temps. Anyway Even on the cowl it works. And if one wants 100% shiny he could rub it with Johnsons Carnauba Wax or paint it with our own proprietary paint.
I hope I get to try that idea of mine with the GO480 and Cub-sized plane, but have been too much at work to make any progress there...

Lars, a question: I saw on the web site that someone applied the Oratex fabric to the cowling rather than paint. How can they do that given the cowling can get quite HOT. What is the long term experience with that. BTW, what is the life of oratex?

I covered the entire Cowl and Nosebowl with Oratex. No problem with heat. I did it to make it all look the sam and don't have to worry about the paint chipping.
Sure like it better than painting. Just make sure you prime your metal the same as if you were going to paint. Then apply a layer of adhesive to the entire cowl.

I got some samples from the nice folks at oratex to show our EEA chapter. I plan to apply it to some fairings I would normally paint to see how that works.

Here's a question...I need to redo the fabric on my mains. What are the chances I could get an approval to use 6000 on just my main gear?

Crash, I received the sample kit from Lars great guy contemplating using Oratex for cover on my exp supercub did you come up with a total cost figure for the cover?

Crash, I received the sample kit from Lars great guy contemplating using Oratex for cover on my exp supercub did you come up with a total cost figure for the cover?

Lars, did give me a sample kit. I haven't had an opportunity to make a test panel yet to see how it performs. We built a new house and hanger this last year, along with moving, just no time to work on planes.

We're settled in now so I may have time after the holidays to get back on the Exp project.

It is a departure from what we know so it's a leap of faith once you pull the trigger on an order.

If we use the old rule of thumb that a Cub takes 45 square yards of fabric to cover. Oratex, at $67.00 per yard, would come out to $3,015.00 just for fabric, not including tapes, glue etc.

It's more $$, but not that much more.

Take care,

Crash

So, what did the cost come to for every thing for the compleat cover for everything (tapes glues etc)?

ceconite, polyfiber, and superflite are all sold by the linear yard. The roll is 72" wide so when you buy one linear yard you get 2 square yards

Jason

When comparing the costs of different covering systems, be sure to consider Really all of the costs. We have a Brand-New webpage that compares the cost of Oratex to other systems:

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/cost-comparison.html

If you're in the market for covering supplies we will happily supply a quote. And yes, its true we have to pay for it by the square and not by the linear.
Merry Christmas!

Hi Lars,

Question: What do you estimate the cost of fabric, tapes and glue (FOB Anchorage) would come to on a standard PA-18 fabric job if done in Oratex 6000?

Also, it looks like you really have to pull it tight before the final glue down and shrink. At almost $70.00 per square yard, I'm a little concerned about the learning curve on this new system..... can you elaborate?

Still on the fence between Stewarts or Oratex on the EXP Cub.

Take care,

Greg

The learning curve on Oratex is less than on any fabric you have ever used. When you finish the cover you are DONE. Only way to go. It stays a heck of a lot cleaner than a regular fabric with paint also. Nothing sticks to it.

As a sidenote, I should probably mention that we can deliver the Oratex6000 as 77inches wide, and there will be no extra charge for that, even though the general concept is sale by the square yard. So for the two square yards actually paid; - the material off the roll is actually more. Because of machinery and packaging issues, the usual delivery is 72inch wide.
regards & Merry Christmas!
Lars

Dose anyone out there have any tips one could use in cutting Oratex 6000 fabric into covering tapes?

You have to remember it'll move at the "speed of government".... I wouldn't look for it to get certified anytime soon.

You would think someone in the parent company would light a fire under this issue. To exclude the certificated market is a huge revenue loss. Over TEN years and nothing to show....wow!!!

You would think someone in the parent company would light a fire under this issue. To exclude the certificated market is a huge revenue loss. Over TEN years and nothing to show....wow!!!

On the other side: Why bother with certification anymore? Many manufactures have chosen to stay with exp. aircraft. Their insurance is lower, their paperwork is much less, they can charge less and there are probably more exp. guys buying fabric at this point than certified... yes it is a bummer, but look at avionics.

Dynon will sell you an EFIS that fits in one hole for under 2k. 2k is what one certified old gauge costs in some instances.

Lots of advantages for a company to stay away from certified parts these days.

Oratex rep has not posted, on this thread, since late 2013. Is he still around? I'll look for the Oratex booth at the show.

While I see your point aktango, the company acquired certification for this product in Europe.

Is it required to be certified in Europe to use on the exp. planes? That would make a difference. Also our nation is sue happy, so certification is a big cost here. I have a friend that won't do business in the states due to the legal system here.

Back