Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowrider LSA

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone give any thoughts to wickerbills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob flew into our field a couple months ago with the LSA. Very nice, I sat in it and very roomy for me at 6' X 225 lbs. Looks like it climbs as good as the Patrol. We were going to see if the LSA would fly as slow as my little single seat Cub but I had a oil problem and stayed in the pattern and landed.
    A friend of mine has a flying Bearhawk and he just bought the LSA plans and is cutting tubing. Going to use a lighten 0-200.
    There are 3 Bearhawk projects in my hanger and another in a hanger across the runway. Maybe I'll get my BH finished someday.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

That's too bad that you were not able to fly along side the LSA. What engine do you have in your Cub and what does it weigh? Single seat ought to be fairly light.

If you didn't have the Cub, would you follow Bob's design for an under 1320 gross plane?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Post Thanks / Like
    My little Cub is really a Super Koala narrowed down to 24" wide but built to the dimensions of the Koala 202. EW of 450 lbs. Not one part is the same as either one. Powered by a 1835 cc, 60 HP, VW engine. I am using a Helicopter airspeed and the stall speed is about 26-28 knots. Bob list the LSA stall speed at 30 mph.
    If I didn't have so many projects, I would be building Bob's LSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Dan,

That's too bad that you were not able to fly along side the LSA. What engine do you have in your Cub and what does it weigh? Single seat ought to be fairly light.

If you didn't have the Cub, would you follow Bob's design for an under 1320 gross plane?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super11XP View Post
    Its hard to describe the way a 700-800 lb airplane flys, especially when the cg isn't at or a little beyone the forward limit. It's going to be really tough to get that light weight and cg not bumping the forward limit with an o-320.
    As long as your going with an o-320, you might as well have flaps. Since you have the power to haul stuff, you might as well have an extended baggage. Since a 320 isn't as easy to hand prop as an 0-200, you might as well have a starter, and electrical system......
    Say goodbye to your 800 lb airplane, it's starting to look more like 950-1050, which an 0-320 will have no trouble with, but it won't fly like the 7-800 lb plane.
    I'm starting to sound like that cubdriver2 guy!!!

Glenn

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

Guess it would be hard to get a better endorsement than that. I've been looking around at other sites and Bearhawks seem to be well thought of pretty much everywhere but I gotta take a good close look at his LSA drawings before I make up my mind. I wish I had more time on the East Coast (can't believe I said that) and I would slip down to VA and get a close look at Bob's LSA but I'm leaving for the final trip to Idaho on the 8th....never to return until #3 son graduated from college.....maybe I'll come back for that.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowrider, the decision will be hard if you are trying to choose between the BH LSA or a cub replica. Both are great choices for an LSA homebuilt. If you choose the BH you are choosing a lightened up version of the Patrol. Lots of reasons to build a cub as well. If you tire of making cub parts you can buy high quality stuff from Javron and other builders of cub parts. I had a cub project up until '08 that I had to sell along with some motorcycles due to some big medical bills. When I started over I decided on the Patrol as my youngest son is not quite 14 and already 6'2". I will need a larger cabin than a standard cub can provide. He fills up the champ already. I'm already building your BH LSA in my pea brain, conical mount O-320 with catto prop. Titanium firewall and min electrics. Having built an RV you probably recognize the way the BH spars are designed. There is a neighbor of Bob's that I have talked with that has flown the LSA quite a bit and he loves it. Bob builds everything with what he considers a full electrical system....two magneto "P" leads. That is a full electrical system to Bob Barrows. When I talked with Bob yesterday I tippy toed around the O-320 idea on the LSA by asking how much horsepower can the airplane take. He responded that 100 hp moves it along as good as an O-360 moves the Patrol. I was too chicken to outright ask about the O-320 going on the LSA. Like you said as long as wt& balance meets requirements the airplane doesn't know what is pulling it along. Who turns down more power?
    Last edited by Cub junkie; 02-06-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Junkie!!

I just got hit with a big problem last night...my wife likes the bigger cabin in the BH LSA and going faster in cruise and it looks like I may be headed toward the BH for those 2 reasons. My wife is pretty understanding but something that I've learn in the 27 years we've been together is that when I have her support on something that she was not that wild about to begin with, I had better take advantage of it before she changes her mind. I already bought Carlson spars for the Cub so maybe I can use them in the BH config or sell them. I think I can build a Cubish LSA with a metal wing and make everyone happy.

The 0-320 is sure tempting and my first thought is lengthen the fuselage to keep the CG right but then that would further add to the weight problem...maybe Bob B. is correct...the 0-200 is the right answer....maybe set up for 115 hp or so....that should be enough I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    They already have a BH LSA rib package available and considering the work involved I consider them a bargain. Carlson spars won't be hard to sell or trade. The back seat of the BH Patrol and LSA are very similar to a PA 12 so a pax won't feel the effects of wearing a chrom moly straight jacket. If you decide on the BH you can join me as one of the bastard children of SC dot org. Best flying board on the internet.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bastard children need love too!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember talking to Richard when he rolled out the RV3. He cringed. What struck me particularly about him was that he hyped nothing; you knew you were getting the straight goods.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right King...straight talk is hard to find these days.

That reminds me, I haven't asked this question before but I wonder if there is a BH LSA on floats? I guess that is another question I need to answer before I decide what to build. I'm set on having floats for whatever I build which makes the 0-320 even more at home on the nose. I suppose there might be some "beefing" to do on the fuselage to accomodate a float kit. This isn't going to be a "feather weight" plane any way I look at it. I suppose there is a price to be paid for everything in life.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you start beefing it up aren't you just building a Patrol? I'm interested in the Patrol for that reason. I have not seen ether one in real life and don't know all the differances. I wish I could find one or both in the Portland OR. area that I could look at and sit in (6'5" and 250lb).

DRL

Post Thanks / Like
    We built our Bushmaster---stretched PA22 with Smith wings, 4130 steel, 15 per cent bigger tail feathers, as two-place. Just my opinion, and I consider the SC ideal, but a little extra weight is no real handicap getting into and out of tight lakes. Like the Cessna 185 (after the 180 and SCs), the weight and hp worked same way with the Bushmaster, it drops like lead after clearing the trees. 180hp with 84/43.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the BH LSA will be sturdy enough for floats as is. I have atlee dodge style float fittings going on my Patrol. DRLcub, I think you will like the cockpit of the Patrol if you get to sit in one. Don't know of any in your area right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no LSA's on floats right now, in fact I believe there are no other flying LSA's other than Bob's proto. The Patrol and the LSA, while they share similar designs are not the same, LSA is not a lightened up Patrol but a stand alone design. I talked with Bob some time ago about building a Patrol to LSA weight and he said it would be possible, like the Carbon Cub. That was before the LSA came out. Do you guys see this new medical rule going through at some point and wouldn't that do away with the need for LSA for most of us?

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave up on keeping my Patrol light enough to meet LSA. I have built every welded part for it from scratch so I have a good idea on the weight of everything. I talked to Bob for a while on tuesday and he asked me what all I have changed from the plans so far and it's only one thing besides the aforementioned float fittings. I have added a folding front seat back copying the atlee dodge seatback for the PA18. Bob told me the Patrol proto weighed 970 with composite prop and no elec. system. Later it weighed 1027 on the revised W&B data he sent us builders. Keeping a homebuilt light is important but building it so you use it the way you want is more important. The hot rod cubs at Valdez are impressive but the only time those cubs are that light are when they are competing or practicing for the competition. Can you imagine going camping without your stuff so your airplane will be the king of STOL?

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    DRL,

I'm not sure how much "beefier" the Patrol is than the LSA. I've read that that you can build the patrol light and still do an LSA gross, albeit with not much left for people and fuel. I goal is a light, adequately powered but not overpowered plane. My wife is interested in having the faster than Cub cruise and I still want to be able to do ops on sand/gravel bars and the like for hunting and fishing and just to be able to be there.

My C-170 will do some of that stuff, but not really that well and it looks like the LSA will cruise about the same 120 mph as the 170 with just 2 souls on board. I have the plans for a Cub clone and now the LSA so guess I'm leaning toward the metal wing and the faster cruise and I have a 5 day trip to ID starting tomorrow to think about it before I decide which way to go. There is some advantage in the Cub where I can buy lots of parts if I don't feel like making them. I don't think BH LSA is there yet so that may tip the scale too....so many things to consider...also the label of "bastard child" on the SC site could be a badge of honor!!

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Do you guys see this new medical rule going through at some point and wouldn't that do away with the need for LSA for most of us?
    I'd love to have FAA get off their duff and approve that right now. Then I would build a one ton Cub with an 0-320/160 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    DRL,

I'm not sure how much "beefier" the Patrol is than the LSA. I've read that that you can build the patrol light and still do an LSA gross, albeit with not much left for people and fuel. I goal is a light, adequately powered but not overpowered plane. My wife is interested in having the faster than Cub cruise and I still want to be able to do ops on sand/gravel bars and the like for hunting and fishing and just to be able to be there.

My C-170 will do some of that stuff, but not really that well and it looks like the LSA will cruise about the same 120 mph as the 170 with just 2 souls on board. I have the plans for a Cub clone and now the LSA so guess I'm leaning toward the metal wing and the faster cruise and I have a 5 day trip to ID starting tomorrow to think about it before I decide which way to go. There is some advantage in the Cub where I can buy lots of parts if I don't feel like making them. I don't think BH LSA is there yet so that may tip the scale too....so many things to consider...also the label of "bastard child" on the SC site could be a badge of honor!!

Low rider

Come to payette. I'd. Check out my cub clone LSA. Mine has 0 235 /775 empty.

Don

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don!! I'll try to do that very thing once we get settled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here ya' go Lowrider, check out the EAA experimenter magazine online with an article on the BH LSA. The pics alone are going to sway you. http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/108002

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless a guy is in a real hurry to go the LSA route, I'd suggest waiting till the FAA rules on the EAA / AOPA's petition for exemption up to 180 hp and dropping the 900 lb EW / 1320 GW restrictions.

If this goes through it opens up a ton of new options for light aircraft users.

After attending Sun and Fun 2012, where there were LSA options at every turn, I came away not impressed with any of them for the flying I do (Alaska bush).

Just a thought.

Take care,

Crash

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,

I'm with you. The BH will do my mission as a LSA but it they do approve the Rec Pilot change, I will still have the ability to go to 1500 lbs.

Signing off for a week or so while I move to ID.

Safe Flying!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Or I'd wait for this....

http://supercub.com/outlaw1.html

Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    The carbon wing covering on this bird will be interesting. I saw the prototype while at the factory this summer, they had a wing rib/slat/flaps mockup showing how all the parts fit together. Manual slats, fowler typer super trick flaps, all carbon ribs. Projected stall and cruise numbers slower and faster then (by a lot) anything else out there or even talked about, if it wasn't coming from them I'd call BS, but we'll see. They told me the #'s but I won't repeat them as you wouldn't believe them.... lets just wait and see. Lots of really nice little details to make it easy to clean out, like a carbon tub floor you can hose out. Rear controls that quickly remove with no protruding hardware to hang up on gear.

Unlike other slatted birds, the design will do it's thing at a more normal AOA, not the extreme nose high one we've all seen. Thus the gear is nothing special:first off a Grove type spring gear because of its very low drag, (as compared to Cub style gear anyway) and to let the plane show off its high cruise potential. Cub type gear an option of course. Very large door/ or doors, like an S-7, due to the way the spars are laid out and the resulting structure, like 5' long.

Note they are using a Rotax 912S as the company owner feels it does the job just fine, in fact better then fine, and in fact has a whole lot of hours behind one (hunting coyotes out of a Rans S-7) it is one that has been "gone through" by a engine shop and is putting out 135 hp, still with the usual 2000 hr. TBO. Fuel burn should be 4+ GPH using premium mo gas. Too bad it will sound like a chainsaw and give the pilot a headache within 10 minutes. Sorry.... I just couldn't let those uninformed statements slide by! More like a BMW motorcycle and turbine smoothness plus the best power to weight ratio possible with proven reliabilty is why they are using it. Plus extensive personal experience in about as hard of flying as you can do, coyote hunting in Wyoming with the high DA's and down in the dirt, that is what this plane is all about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the picture of the BH one thing I noticed is the door. I really was taken by how practical the cub door is for hand propping. If you use the Rotax this is a non issue since you are stuck with electrics but with a Continental wouldn't the fold up/down door be a better option for an aircraft with no starter?

Post Thanks / Like
    The BH door can be built seaplane style and clear the strut. So the hand prop style that many cub drivers use will work on the BH as well.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back up and running for the most part...2724 miles with a 10K lbs trailer behind my F250. Good trip except for ice in Eastern SD last week. Sandpoint is beautiful as always and the snow is melting...black bear in the yard last night.

I thought long and hard on the BH LSA and I think I'm going with it. Anyone talk to Bob yet about the 0-320? I'm not sure it is necessary and the extra weight may not justify the added performance but the extra power would be nice if you need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought long and hard on the BH LSA and I think I'm going with it. Anyone talk to Bob yet about the 0-320? I'm not sure it is necessary and the extra weight may not justify the added performance but the extra power would be nice if you need it.
    What ever you choose just remember that your "new" sea level is 2100 feet and you will be flying in the mountains. Full throttle will already be 2" less manifold pressure.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Any performance numbers on this yet? Can anyone please tell us more about he 613.5 airfoil wing? What is the cord on this wing? At what station is the single spar located? I bet is between the 15.75" or 18.90" mark if its a 63" cord. I´d like to see a picture of the rib is possible
    http://spaincub.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Put flaps on it

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sky,

Roger copy! I'm pretty familiar with high density altitude and hot which is another reason to look hard at the 0-320.

Spain,

Once I get my trailer and truck unloaded I'll try to get the figures from the drawings....at this point I'm not exactly sure where they are located. Perhaps someone will come up with a picture of formed ribs and specs and post it for us.

Bugs,

Flaps be good....I've been thinking about them...maybe Cessna style Fowler like things with a simple torque tube system in the roof. Can't add that much weight but i'm not there yet. I'm going to build the fuselage first so I have some time to look at flaps.

I asked about wickerbills or Gurney flaps on the wing but got no response to it....they would be easy and light. I asked Bob about using VG's and he said they are for poorly designed wings..'nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple torque tube thing is exactly how the Patrol flaps are accuated. Those flaps are 104" long.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    A simple torque tube thing is exactly how the Patrol flaps are accuated. Those flaps are 104" long.
    Hmmm....may be looking for a drawing of the thing in a bit. I'd like to have an overhead flap lever too. Is that in the Patrol design as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    No on the O'head flap handle. Its in the same spot as a stock PA18. After giving it some thought I think I would scrap the O-320 idea and go with a well built small continental. I think if you start adding a bigger engine you would need balanced tail which is heavier and then the flaps would also add weight. You are starting to venture into the area of the Patrol with those mods and losing the concept of building a sub 800 pound back country toy. I know you like the extra room the B'hawk designs have so have you considered a wide body cub fuselage with some light wings with flaps? The Patrol and the LSA both have a riblett airfoil but are slightly different from each other, along with the LSA having a narrower chord. The wings are one of the selling points of the Patrol for me. Lots to choose from for sure.

edit: I see someone has posted a pic of each wing drawing on Back country pilot in the Bearhawk Patrol LSA thread. That will get you started.
    Last edited by Cub junkie; 02-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..... which is another reason to look hard at the 0-320.
    0-320 vs 0-200??? This will be tough since there is 50-60 lbs difference between the two engines. There could be a serious CG problem unless the 0-320 can be moved aft a considerable amount? Removing a heavy starter and generator is possible for some of the shift. Perhaps mounting a wind driven generator on the tail would help some? Another thought would be to use an Aeromatic prop on the 0-200 in order to get the full power range available? This would total 221 lbs. An 0-320 with no generator, a light weight starter and a lightweight wood prop would be aprox. 230 or so lbs. Then mount a 10 lb or so wind driven generator on the vertical fin. The CG may be close to the same with each engine??

It is fun to think about various ideas. Perhaps some of my thoughts will help you trigger some ideas of your own?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked with Mark Goldberg from Bearhawk Aircraft about the LSA and he has provided the following information -
    From Mark Goldberg with Bearhawk Aircraft who makes the kits for the four place, the Patrol and the new LSA. Just a couple comments on previous postings. This little plane doesn't need flaps. It lands at 30 MPH and slips VERY well as do all Bob's designs. I would not think it a good idea to put in an O-320. Keep engines under 110-125 HP. If you want a bigger engine it would be wiser to go the LSA's big brother - the Patrol. The LSA airfoil was designed with lower power engines in mind. Happy to answer anyone's questions either on the forum or privately. N95MF@hotmail.com. Thanks. Mark
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    It's too bad they didn't design in the flaps, they are nice to have. Gliders land slow too and have flaps or spoilers. The Rans S7, Highlander, and Sport Cub are LSA's and have flaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    It's too bad they didn't design in the flaps, they are nice to have. Gliders land slow too and have flaps or spoilers. The Rans S7, Highlander, and Sport Cub are LSA's and have flaps.
    What Bugs said. I don't have them either, and it limits what you can do.