• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bear Protection

I'm a handgun fan. Glocks at home and big guns in the field. Here's a story for you.

Another fine day on the Kodiak Archipeligo. Cold this morning. Frosty. Leave the boat at first light to search for Elk. "Hey, today let's try Humpy Creek." The point where Raspberry Straight meets Shelikof Straight. Windy and raw. Great view. Off the boat there's about 10' of beach and then a shelf to climb onto. Off with the waders and on with the hunting boots. The shelf is the last flat spot we'll see today. The climb is thousands of feet straight up an exposed face that's covered in wheat colored grass. The grass is slimy and slick and there are salmonberry canes laced into it everywhere. The grass and canes grab your cuffs and boots making lifting your feet a chore. The lack of traction keeps your ankles tensed trying to claw some purchase with each slimy step. Your hands ache from grabbing canes and grass trying to hold on to the slope above you because if you slip there will be no stopping until you hit bottom. The slope is like climbing a ladder. Steep. Long. No place to rest or shed clothing. A few minutes ago we were freezing. Now we're steaming hot and drenched in sweat. It seemingly takes all morning to crest the first face and straddle a ridge. Rest. Drink. Strip off clothes. About a minute later? Freezing. Put the jacket back on, now fully cooled and still wet. Move on. You want to sit but it's too cold. Motion makes heat. Up the ridge. More climbing but the footing isn't bad. Up. Up. Up. Until we run out of ridge. That moment every mountain hunter hates. You bust your ass to gain altitude and now you have to give some back... so you can climb up another mountain on the other side of the draw. Legs are tired, footing is terrible. No way to gain a handhold to steady the descent. Slip, tumble, get scraped up, get violated in your privates by the devil's clug you just slid through. You get the idea. The scene repeats itself over and over again all day long. The only time we don't feel pain is when we cross fresh tracks. The chase is on. It's an unfair chase. Like an overweight '59 Chrysler chasing a Jeep. Can't catch the animals. Keeping watch on the four Kodiak bears we're sharing the valley with. They may know we're here but they aren't showing it. We know they're there. See and avoid. Now it's time to reverse course and head for the beach. The day has matured and will pass in a couple of hours. More sign. Follow it. Down. The ground is churned up and the low vegetation ground into the soil. Easy walking. Down. At the bottom it becomes apparent the animals had 4 wheel drive to climb the slope they took up the other side. Couldn't see that from up top. Oh well, take a right turn and follow the drainage out. Easy at first. Then into the timber. Then the timber gives way to alders and the creek bottom becomes narrow and winding. Alders get thicker. We can turn and climb for an hour plus to take an alternate route or we can follow the bear tunnel down the creek. A salmon creek. and now's the time bears like to fatten up on salmon. We go down. Bobbing and weaving and ducking under the branches as best we can. The packs and rifles snag on every branch. The tunnel worn in by bears gets smaller and smaller. And shorter and shorter. A half mile to go. Now on hands and knees. The rifles are strapped tightly onto the packs and still they snag constantly. Move forward three feet, back up two to get unsnagged. Progress is slow. The ground is a mix of scree gravel and mud. The mud shows recent bear tracks. We can barely lift our heads to see ahead. The rifles are strapped on. There's no alternative to that. We're tired, wet, muddy, aching, and now we're getting concerned about a head-on with a thousand pound bear that has no place to turn around. Welcome to the Kodiak Archipeligo. This is a fairly typical day. And the day I've described was the last time I ever went hunting there without a big bore handgun in an easy to access chest holster. There have been lots of similar days since. And days of packing meat. We call it walking bait through bear country. Try shouldering a long gun with 100# of meat tied on your back and your whole body searing from exertion. Ya buddy. I'm a fan of big bore handguns!

I'm not a particular fan of assault weapons but I'm not in favor of government gun control. Like most Americans I'll watch today's news with curiosity. On the fence. I expect plenty of rhetoric from both sides. That's their right because of the 1st ammendment. Let's hope the 2nd one is as enduring. God bless America.

Last edited:
Stewart,

Great description of hunting Kodiak (or many places in SE AK). My Kodiak deer hunting stories are mostly similar - except the part when you get back to the boat and discover that your rifle barrel is plugged with snow since the tape you covered it with slipped off sometime after your tumble down that first steep slope (makes a revolver in a chest holster like Dave Johnson's really worthwhile). Sometimes I miss hunting Kodiak, but I sure don't miss the wind off Shelikof strait, or the Devil's club.

That was a good description of a fun day hunting SB. Put a little snow of the ground and it would be even more fun, right?

In my part of the world we have black bears, grizzly bears, mountain lions and wolves. I personally know more folks that have been stalked by mountain lions and had to kill them than any of the others.

A good friend shot a wolf at a few feet while he was elk hunting. It was stalking him and made a final dash that my friend heard, turned to see what was making the noise and killed the wolf shooting from the hip.

It seems every year a hunter or fisherman or tourist or two gets chewed on by a grizzly bear. Some are killed.

Black bears seem to be the least problem.

When I'm out in the woods I usually carry a revolver on my hip. I've never needed it but it is comforting to know it is there. And I'm glad I have the right to do so. Some would like to take that right away. And they'll keep trying to do so.

Wow Stewart,, that is some tuff hunting... Whole kernel corn on the flat beach..... :smile:

Huh? You lost me.

I tell my wife Kodiak area hunting must be like a woman having a kid. Right after they say never again. A year later all they want is to do it again. So it goes with Kodiak. I'll be ready. Unless I get drawn for Unimak!

I just got high speed internet and U-Vers TV . There is a show called Wild West Alaska. Filmed at a gun store Wild West Guns. I have noticed alot of lever action rifes with scopes on there shelves. . 45cal.,??? They look like stainless steel?? I was going to get a Henry rifle 45cal. this week with a 20% off Cabelas, I got at Dallas Safari Club show first of the month.

All my hunting buddies are accomplished pistoleros. It is a major pain for them to get their pistols to Alaska. Everyone who relies on a big revolver for bear protection needs to practice... The beauty of the 44mag is using 44spl for warm up....easy on the gun frame and you.

I just got high speed internet and U-Vers TV . There is a show called Wild West Alaska. Filmed at a gun store Wild West Guns. I have noticed alot of lever action rifes with scopes on there shelves. . 45cal.,??? They look like stainless steel?? I was going to get a Henry rifle 45cal. this week with a 20% off Cabelas, I got at Dallas Safari Club show first of the month.

Wild West is famous for their break-down Co-Pilot rifles. They also do a lot of selling and working on Marlin 1895 rifles. Here's my 1895SDT 45-70 with Jim West's trigger kit, bear-proof ejector, and big loop. They also put a spacer behind the Decelerator recoil pad so the gun fits me correctly. The case was made for me by Fine Line. I'll have this or my 500 mag with me any time I take the airplane. What the heck, if I get bored I can always plink.

photo-1.jpg

http://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns-2/alaskan-co-pilot/

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 169
The barrel looked shorter to me. Looks easy to carry. I thought the Henry 45cal would be a good alll around fit. In case I ever make it to Alaska. Plus for Hogs here in Texas or deer.

I believe the SDT uses a 16" barrel, the shortest of the Marlin 1895s. West's Co-Pilot may offer a shorter barrel. They have a few caliber options including the 500 Alaskan. That's got something like 35% more oomph than the 45-70. Yowza! Mine is fun to shoot and effective for what I need it for. Those are the two imperatives.

Likely some are familiar with this, others may find it informative, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ . A small quirk is that in some cases a state may recognize a carry license that you posses but is NOT your state of residence, you may or may not be legal to carry. For ex., Florida carry permits are easy to get and many states recognize a Florida permit. This link, http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html will show the states that recognize a FL permit but note that in some cases this recognition only applies to residents of FL. Be sure of what you think you have. Jim

I had bear "trouble" in Alaska only once. I was carrying gun and trying to tie up floats at the same time.....don't ask why. Gun fell into water. Took gun apart to dry in sun on rock while I fished. Black bear came out of brush, closer and closer. Usually a yell with hand waving makes them turn. This one kept coming and coming. I dropped pole, untied floats and shoved off. Bear stuck around for 30 minutes before moving on. Went back, put dry gun together and went home without fish that day. Bear 1. Gun 0. At least I didn't get chomped on.

Stewart,, I was referring to the tough hunt,, been a lot easier to pile up some whole kernel corn on the flat beach... Bait them in,,,,,unless its illegal up there..

Crusier, My wife,s company is opening up a Rehab unit in GlensFall,s. Hospital. My Mom,s best friend lived there years ago.

Stewart,, I was referring to the tough hunt,, been a lot easier to pile up some whole kernel corn on the flat beach... Bait them in,,,,,unless its illegal up there..

Baiting elk would be frowned upon. The bears would appreciate it though. Nothing like coercing a few extra bears to be on the beach for your evening return. It wouldn't be a boring evening, that's for certain.

Baiting elk? Do people really do that? It sounds like Texas deer hunting. Grab a few beers and be quick about it, the feeder will go off on a few minutes. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Stewart,, I dont know if people bait them or not, elk are grazers mostly, not sure it would even work, I was just jackin with you... Not sure I could do that hunt you described now... maybe 30 years ago. 8)

In Alaska, when not in civilized places, (meaning out in the brush), concealed carry does not apply. It only becomes an issue if you mistake and stop for something on the way to/from. Heck, with knives and such most of us are carrying all the time when not in town.

In Alaska, when not in civilized places, (meaning out in the brush), concealed carry does not apply. It only becomes an issue if you mistake and stop for something on the way to/from. Heck, with knives and such most of us are carrying all the time when not in town.
According to the Alaska cop show there is no place you don't need to carry:roll:

According to the Alaska cop show there is no place you don't need to carry:roll:

So....having a sister that lives in the Wasilla area, owning undeveloped acreage also in the very-generic-Wasilla-Big Lake area and owning 100 acres up the Matanuska, I'm fairly familiar with the "Meth-Su" area. While I can respect the Alaska State Troopers, the show itself is well past sublime into the area of ridicule.

My bear story involves two encounters around the cabin (very unusual for a griz/brown in that area); one time I was with a buddy who had a 375 and I had a shotgun; the other time was with BIL who had a 45-70 and I had a 10mm. Both times were without incident, just did the dosey-do and the bear(s) ran off, but both times I was quite jealous of my partners' firearm in the situation.

As SB says, write your representatives.

You guys watch way too much television.
I was home sick for a day and they ran a marathon on discovery. Had some nice flying shots, really like it when two officers took off in a Super Cub for a remote village and upon landing three officers jumped out of a 180 (oh well at least they'd were both trooper blue) and my impression was they sure leave you with a less than Chamber of Commerce brochure feeling!

Last edited:
Back