Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to remove/mount center skeg on Federal 1500 ski?

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove/mount center skeg on Federal 1500 ski?

I received the UHMW plastic to mount on Federal 1500 skis, and have been searching the posts to figure out best way to mount the plastic on the 1500s.

One option is to leave the existing metal center skeg in place, and route out (dado) a strip down the center of the 3/16" bottom plastic piece. However, what is the best way to mount the center plastic skeg over the plastic bottom of the ski? One post mentioned to use 10/32 flush screws into a nutsert, but what type of nutsert would be recommended?

10-32 UNF NUTSERT 10-32 ATS2-1032 ATS2-1032 - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=8073

Name:  nutsert.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  9.1 KB

Anyone have a recommendation on 10/32 screw and nylon nut combination to buy from Spruce Aviation?

Stainless Steel MS24693C273 10-32 5/8" - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/ms24693.php
    Stainless Commercial 10-32 COM365-1032 AN365 ELASTIC STOP NUTS

Name:  MS24693S524.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  6.7 KB

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by DavePA11; 01-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn,

Thanks for the post, but you should leave it. Great to hear about the event around our 2nd amendment rights!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave drill out the old fastener and mark/measure where the old holes were. When I did mine I put the skeg on first to hold the new bottom on. Now that you know where the old holes are drill new hole that miss the old holes and tap the hole for the screw thread you are using. install all the skeg screws and then do the new bottoms and when your happy with it go back and loctite the skeg screws. Did mine 10 years ago and working fine.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced the aluminum bottom skin and plastic on my federals. Used -12 stainless nut plates under the tunnel. If you are using the same skegs, what is holding the screws in now? Tapping .125 aluminum for skegs screws sounds like trouble down the road to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    I replaced the aluminum bottom skin and plastic on my federals. Used -12 stainless nut plates under the tunnel. If you are using the same skegs, what is holding the screws in now? Tapping .125 aluminum for skegs screws sounds like trouble down the road to me...
    If I was removing the bottom from the tunnel I would do the same. Drilled and tapped mine over 10 years ago, maybe 400 ski hours ago, not sure I fly a couple different skis. And alot of that time was on frozen ground with not much snow or rough frozen lake ice. When I first did the bottoms with plastic 10 years ago I put the steel skeg back on with the screws in the tapped holes. Two years ago I unscrewed the steel skeg and replaced it with UHMW skeg and everything was still tight when I took it apart after ten years.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    you might want to use the notched rivnut, so it doesn't spin when the time comes