• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 12 Want to add Flaps

By the way, does anyone know for sure if the Flap installation approved in the PA12 TCDS uses 14, 18, or some other Flap?

Ron Sullivan has the STC for the 12..., he calls for PA-18 ailerons with flap hinges installed. I ordered a set of ailerons from Dakota and they installed flap hinges... pretty nice! They are very familiar with the set up. As for the part number on the block.., Sullivan's plans have a part number call-out, but it's bogus...., no such part number! I made mine to suit and they look just like the one's in previous posts on the 14. I also posted pix of mine earlier.

These pictures seem to show a small change of direction in the cable over the phenolic fairlead. If so, this could cause premature wear on the side of the cable. Particularly if the cable is stainless steel. I have found stainless cables worn where they were rubbing on a phenolic chafe strip in several Cessna 185s. This was on less of an angle change than that which is shown in the pictures. I would suggest that you substitute something which is less abrasive and more slippery than phenolic, such as delrin or nylon. The same material which is used in that white bushing in the center picture would be good. At the very least, if you don't change the materiel, be sure to grease the cable with some durable lubricant.

Has anyone added these guides or fair leads with fabric on? The pics are great. I've been putting this project off but I'm running out of fun stuff to do. Thanks in advance.

Flap installation particulars

yup.. done a couple sets...

Hi Mike, I had to install my flap handle and shaft mount on my new to me 12 airframe. Got out my Sullivan flap installation STC plans from the logs and reproduced the original installation. But...the only dimension that I could not find on the plan is the length of the arm on the axle of the flap lever that the flap cable is attached to. Too long and it will screw up the flap actuation in relation to the notches, and too short and you won't get the right amount of flaps. Do you know that critical dimension? My other option is to drill loots of holes in the arm and wing it. I hate winging it!

thanks, John

I don't recall messing with the length of the bellcrank arm, but getting the clocking right with respect to the first pulley the cable contacts did take some trial and error. Small variations in that geometry can have a significant effect on the flap deflection. I think (not certain) that I also changed the clocking of that arm with respect to the flap handle. For sure, there's some trial and error involved with that STC. Also in the wing, there are interferences if using the STC drawings for locating the bellcrank. It's a tight fit, and again, there is some trial and error involved.

My problem is that I moved my project 2000 miles and lost the old flap handle arm somewhere along the way....I think it's about 4 inches or so but would just as soon get it right on. I have the same wings so would rather adjust the arm than have to rerig the wings. Everything was working fine when removed for the airframe rebuild originally. When I did the Borer gross weight increase there was lots of interference to work out with other mods. Thanks. John

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hi Mike, I had to install my flap handle and shaft mount on my new to me 12 airframe. Got out my Sullivan flap installation STC plans from the logs and reproduced the original installation. But...the only dimension that I could not find on the plan is the length of the arm on the axle of the flap lever that the flap cable is attached to. Too long and it will screw up the flap actuation in relation to the notches, and too short and you won't get the right amount of flaps. Do you know that critical dimension? My other option is to drill loots of holes in the arm and wing it. I hate winging it!

thanks, John

i just use PA-18 handle http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/pdfs/A3310074.pdf there a few blueprints there,

I have the day/night arc installed, and have the supplement in the plane. I’m away from the plane and trying to let wag aero know what markings I need on my new airspeed indicator. Does anybody have the supplement they can pm me or post here the speeds for markings?

I have the day/night arc installed, and have the supplement in the plane. I’m away from the plane and trying to let wag aero know what markings I need on my new airspeed indicator. Does anybody have the supplement they can pm me or post here the speeds for markings?

Here’ mine; PA-12 with PA-14 flaps installed under CAA rules. This MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR SITUATION.

Airspeed.jpg.jpg

Attachments

• Airspeed.jpg.jpg
    Airspeed.jpg.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 40
Here’ mine; PA-12 with PA-14 flaps installed under CAA rules. This MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR SITUATION.

View attachment 62028

thank you, but I have -18 flaps installed, and imagine there’s the possibility of different numbers. Also hard to tell EXACTLY, what the numbers here would be. Looking for someone with the supplement in hand for the day and night with -18 flaps.

page 6 of the March 26, 1976 paper work from day night says "paint a new white arc from 46mph to 85mph", I'll text you a photo of that paperwork. that's the only reference to airspeed indicator so assume nothing else changes.

doug

6CFCF7CE-EE07-4F7C-A699-3587C1DD8169.jpegC21B1BC0-2E17-4CC9-A4AF-E5F66B0B72FB.jpegThanks doug!

Attachments

• 6CFCF7CE-EE07-4F7C-A699-3587C1DD8169.jpeg
    6CFCF7CE-EE07-4F7C-A699-3587C1DD8169.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 63
  • C21B1BC0-2E17-4CC9-A4AF-E5F66B0B72FB.jpeg
    C21B1BC0-2E17-4CC9-A4AF-E5F66B0B72FB.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 85
Back