• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

sight gauges

Dakota Cub, better visibility and they use o'rings which are easily replaceable instead of cork gaskets which require removing wing root covers, hose, etc. http://dakotacub.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/stc-showcase-high-visibility-sight-gauges/

stcs_ag_0013-2_blog.jpg

stcs_ag_0032_a_blog.jpg

stcs_ag_0017_a_blog.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, I have a set of each, which way is up for Dakota Cub and Piper? Seems to me that you should turn the Piper ones over from what you have shown to show fuel down to 0? And do you have a part number / source for the sleeve? And does the 'restricted' elbow go on the bottom? Don

Steve, I have a set of each, which way is up for Dakota Cub and Piper? Seems to me that you should turn the Piper ones over from what you have shown to show fuel down to 0? And do you have a part number / source for the sleeve? And does the 'restricted' elbow go on the bottom? Don

best smaller part down.... not necessarily right...

restrictor should be in BOTH incase of glass breakage.....

OK found out, the thick bolt goes on the bottom on the Dakota Cub fuel gauge. Makes sense that you can then remove the glass to replace O-rings without any further dissembly. I guess this logic could apply to the piper gauge too, but then the visibility at low fuel levels will be more restricted. There are no restrictors in the DC fuel gauge fittings. Don

Dakota cub builds the restrictors into there tanks. they weld the fitting on to the tank and drill a small hole through the inside of the fitting into the tank, that way if the fitting happens to break off the gas still comes out slower.

Last edited:
The factory gauges had the short end on the bottom along with the restricter.

This is from the production line in the mid 1070s. The red elbow has the restrictor and the end with the flats is shorter that the end without for better visibility when low on fuel.
98940058.jpg

Attachments

• 98940058.jpg
    98940058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,985
I think Clarence Witte had an STC for it. Check with the new owner of his STCs, Scoot Air. http://www.scootairllc.com/website/wingtank.htm

Found my list, They own all of these STCs but not sure that they have approval on all of them as of yet.

SA1496GL J-3 12 Gallon wing tank
SA00715CH Sight gauge for above tank
SA01334CH J-5 19 gallon tank
SA00805CH PA-12/-14 19 gallon tank
SA01333CH PA-12 24 gallon tank
SA1765GL J-3/PA-11 fixed and swing engine mounts
SA01104CH PA-12,-14 swing engine mount

Not sure that you can see thru the Dakota Cub gauge, although they are heads and shoulders above the Piper gauge with one exception if you cannot. Note how the fuel refracts the level lines behind the gauge when you can see thru it making it easy to confirm fuel level and/or that there is actually fuel in there. One member had an incident awhile ago around this issue and may offer his opinion based upon a well learned lesson, Jim

Attachments

• FCCC7DB2-8436-45CD-BC7E-BE89A711FBD2.png
    FCCC7DB2-8436-45CD-BC7E-BE89A711FBD2.png
    438 KB · Views: 608
Make sure the 'little red ball' is installed and floats on the fuel. That's the original design and it works much better than looking for the fuel line itself.

Web

Thanks for the heads up on the red cork ball. Had these on my Grumman but didn’t realize the Piper PA used the cork too
Adam

Gordon I'd like to know that as well!

I have the Atlee 30 Gal tanks on my certified cub, and the sight gages (Cubcrafters I think) on there look pretty but are horrible because the float balls are in the bottom metal area when I still have 15 gal left a side........I also run a totalizer but not seeing any fuel in the sight gages is unnerving to me.

I've been considering the Atlee Tygothane tubes because they dont have the metal on the top and bottom......anyone using/liking those?? They are very spendy for what they appear to be but they give you the visibility down low!

Tim

Gordon I'd like to know that as well!

I have the Atlee 30 Gal tanks on my certified cub, and the sight gages (Cubcrafters I think) on there look pretty but are horrible because the float balls are in the bottom metal area when I still have 15 gal left a side........I also run a totalizer but not seeing any fuel in the sight gages is unnerving to me.

I've been considering the Atlee Tygothane tubes because they dont have the metal on the top and bottom......anyone using/liking those?? They are very spendy for what they appear to be but they give you the visibility down low!

Tim

All I use are Atlee gauges on any new install regardless of tank brand.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Mike, thats great to know.......! Have you installed the large AD tanks?

To be clear....(Sorry)....So when you have 5 gallons or less in the 30.5gal tanks and Tygon guages, you can see that level easily? (in level condition, I have lower expectation in 3 point)

If thats the case I'll order some asap....!!:):):)
Tim

I have the Atlee sight gages, which I installed with the Atlee tanks in 2011. When they show empty they are telling the truth. They work great, but get yellow and more opaque with time. I cant help but wonder if they are also hardening.

This is what I did: SMITHCUBPetes040.jpg

It was a poor choice of background color. but the gauges work great. Available from ACE aircraft supply. :)

I have a new set of these which did not fit to my satisfaction. medium_51c854f748e2d1372083447.jpg Anyone want them?

Attachments

• SMITHCUBPetes040.jpg
    SMITHCUBPetes040.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 520
  • medium_51c854f748e2d1372083447.jpg
    medium_51c854f748e2d1372083447.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,099
Sent you a PM.
Has been an age old problem since the early under wing sight gauges.....[emoji15] My old 12 guages will show only 3/4 per side after 30 mins of flight filled right to covers.... When the ball is disapearing into bottom aluminum
on either side you will struggle to get 10 gals in the tank; so when the guages say I am out I have well over 2hrs of fuel left. So when most folks would call it unsafe to take off you have approx 18gals onboard. [emoji36]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back