• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to transport an engine?

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
I'm picking up an overhauled engine for my 2+2, need to move it about 90 miles or so. The engine is currently on an overhaul type stand (prop flange). What is the best way to move it? First choice is in the back of my Jeep Liberty, second is in my open trailer. It may need to sit a few days before I find a home for it in the shop so Jeep is best choice. Is it ok to simply place it (0290D2; no accessories or carb) on a tire in the Jeep with packing pads around it? If I need to put it in trailer how best to secure it? I will have a engine hoist (Harbor Freight type) for lifting but not much else. Should I leave the stand on it and maybe bolt the engine mount to it and place on tire in trailer? I've never done this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Marty57

Hi Marty,

Set it down in a large truck tire. It'll be fine. Run a few straps over it because it will be top heavy. Craig

Ditto what Craig said. Looks like you got a good deal, I know Peter was happy to not have to transport it.

I'd go to an appliance store and ask for some styrofoam shipping materials they'll be tossing out. Cradle the engine in the back of the jeep with foam and cardboard and drive home. Not a big deal if you pack it to where it won't move around and you don't try any F1 high G cornering along the way.

I flew a new TCM IO-360 stripped out of the crate to a remote strip in a 206 then put it into a little trailer behind a 4-wheeler and dragged it down a muddy trail to the river where we installed the engine using the armstrong method. We pulled it off with a $30K engine. You can get yours home in a Jeep.

Last edited:
When my engine got a major overhaul done (O-235), the mechanic's wife drove it all the way from Mena, Arkansas to Houston, Texas in the back of a Suburu station wagon. It sat resting on a blanket that was draped across the top of an old tire, and was blocked up slightly on one side with a large block of wood. Rode fine like that all the way. She said it took three guys to load it in the back of the car though.

Thanks for all the input, sounds like this is going to be pretty to move after all. now all I have to do is figure out where I'm going to put it when I get home.......... living room maybe/ :oops: Updates next week.

Marty57

I've got mine in the living room on the stand. As you can tell, I'm not married...

When I've had to transport engines without a shipping crate, I've always used a tire and tiedown straps. Never damaged one yet. Small Continentals get hauled laying upside down to avoid damage to the sump tank. Lycomings get hauled right side up with a wooden or foam block over the Carb mount studs to avoid damaging them.

Had a C-85 on the engine stand in our family room for about a year when I was building my first plane 16 years ago. Wife covered it with a sheet and decorated it for Christmas. Still have the same wife. We celebrate 30 years tomorrow. :smile:

-CubBuilder

I keep my O-320 in a spare bedroom. I don't live in a wet climate but it doesn't hurt to keep it in the dryest place I have. Keep my welding rod in there too.

Here is a quick idea for a easy stand to move it around on old shopping cartSD531364.JPGSD531368.JPG

Attachments

• SD531364.JPG
    SD531364.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 397
  • SD531368.JPG
    SD531368.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 322
My version, dyna-focal style adapted to a standard automotive stand.old pictures 158.jpg

Attachments

• old pictures 158.jpg
    old pictures 158.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 225
If you're gonna store it for any length of time before install... leave it upside down on the tire.. throw about 3 quarts of oil in thru the sump drain. This will submerge the camshaft and lifter faces so they don't rust. Not overly essential on a well run engine, but definitely on a fresh overhaul.

I like the idea of the simple rolling stand; may have to make one so I can roll the engine into the living room for the Christmas Tree disguise we have been talking about :x-mas:. I have just the right corner to put it. I picked up a engine hoist at Pep Boys to load the engine into the Jeep; looking forward to picking it up. I think the tire with Styrofoam will be the method of choice for me as long as height and everything lines up in the Jeep. Monday will tell all. I do have a couple of the rolling automotive stands I can use also so I should be in good shape. thanks for all the suggestions; keep the pictures coming.

Thanks,
Marty57

The move of the engine worked out good. I used a small tire and a bunch of foam I had around and it fit right in the Jeep. I lifted it out with an engine hoist and today I finally got the engine squared away on a proper stand. I had bought couple engine stands to build a fuselage rotor so used one for the engine. All is well and I now have two engines for my 2+2! All I need to do is find more time to build . Thanks for all the advice.

Marty57

Engine 3.jpg

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 213
  • engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Engine 3.jpg
    Engine 3.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 466
Something about the chicken and the Egg story applies to moving my engine. :cluck:cluck Maybe next time I can fly it.

Marty57

Looks great Marty! You have two overhauled engines now? Nice to have a spare

Bugs,
One is overhauled, one is not. My first engine was removed from a Pacer; 1200 SMOH with 300 on the top end and I removed it with the owner and pickled it. It was a very strong running engine removed for upgrade for controllable pitch prop. I plan on initially flying on that engine first. The most recent engine is 0 SMOH and includes new Mags, Harness, and Carb. I have all the receipts for the engine and tags from the overhaul; everything done as stated by Lyc for an overhaul; lower end overhauled by Divco. I still need a lightweight starter and alternator but otherwise I have everything. Both engines are the same; O-290D2's so that gives me spares and that pretty much takes care of the orphaned engine issue. I have two exhaust systems, two carbs, etc. Best part is I have less that $11K invested in both engines together (including prop and spinner). I shouldn't have to think about an overhaul for a LONG time. Now all I need to do is finish my build. I'm getting there!

Marty57

Last edited:
Back