• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

For you old broken down dusters, Know what this is?

SteveE

SPONSOR
Jenks, OK
Know what this was used for?

cutback cub.jpg

Attachments

• cutback cub.jpg
    cutback cub.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 957
Looks similar to the cutback my Dad had in the mid 60's. His was yellow and I think his had windows in the back and a normal cowl for the 125 horsepower Lycoming. Was talking to a black guy that loaded for Dad a couple of years ago and he said he insisted on a ride so he put on some goggles and stood in the hopper. When Dad started back then he didn't worry about insurance. One thing of interest he sprayed was 245-T for the paper mill on their pine forest. I remember mixing Toxaphene and DDT in a 55 gallon barrel when I was about 11 years old. Dad also seeded clover and rye into standing crops. This took place in Virginia.

Yeah I recognize that. My first sprayer was a cutback cub with an 0-200. Bought it in 1975 for $3,000. Still have the trade-a-plane add where I sold it for $5,500 with a fresh rebuild to stock configuration.

The first ag plane I flew was a cut back cub in the sixties. The one in the picture has a spreader for dry work. Is it just me or does the fues. frame behind the windshield look like a Champ?

Flew one spraying 2-4-d- many hours in rice at Stuttgart,AR,I thought it had a 150 though.

Ha,, thats funny Brian,,,:lol: Must have been one of those downwind turns that got him.....

"Taken near Pine Bluff Arkansas "a few decades ago". Marc Mullis is "rice pilot" flying this Cutback ... His Dad modified several of these 150 Cubs for rice fertilizing... They carried about 700-800 pounds!!! (a 4 to 10 acre load...)!!!"

My friend Joe Woolslayer sent me this pic.

Last edited:
With 800 lbs in the back I would leave a lot of rooooooooom for a downwind turn!

We didn't have one of these. My dad used a 105 Special Super Cub for many years (stock 115hp with flaps). At one point he purchased a 135hp cub thinking it would do better. I couldn't so it got sold. He still as the 105 though. One of those family deals where he gets threatened if he thinks of selling it.:lol:

Tim

I had one of these J-3's with a 135 in it. Came from Myhand and Dean in Pine Bluff. Also had a torque tube in place of elevator cables. Mine was a bit heavy. Used it for banner towing. Photo gives you a really good idea of how J-3 and PA-18 fuselages are actually built.

file://localhost/Users/fran/Desktop/IMG_0669.jpg

file://localhost/Users/fran/Desktop/IMG_0670.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
The pa-18's that Farmers Aerial Seeders in Stuttgart,Arkansas had,and that I got started doing ag work for had a twin set of paddle wheel spreaders mounted under the hopper that was driven by a belt off the crankshaft right behind the prop down to shaft that ran back under the belly to a gearbox that ran the paddle wheel spreader.And yes the old 18A's would cary 800# about all day.

Not to hijack the thread but i just purchased a cub this summer that use to be a duster. N8301P was fitted with a Sorenson pod by the Shlak Bros. Air Service in North Dakota and used for ag. work. It then was sold to Birkholz Air Service of Minot, North Dakota. Sold again in 1967 to Bob Leaders of St Cloud Flying Service St. Cloud, Minnesota. As far as i can tell it was used for ag work with all of those company's. Any of of you Ag plane guys know anything about those flying services?

Really Mike I am lucky enough to still fly our 1979 model 18 a lot,love that airplane.

Back