• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking for hangar in the Rapid City area

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this. My son has orders to be stationed at Elsworth AFB, SD. His report date is still several months away with him arriving there after the new year. He is looking for a place to keep a GA airplane in the area and has already contacted the local airport for space but as most places around cities, there is a long waiting list. Does anyone know of any small strips in the area or even a private strip he might be able to base out of? A PM or reply here would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at Custer and/or Spearfish both very friendly and with their own personalities... Spearfish has grass and Custer has a bunch of stoned presidents.

Come down to Hot Springs KHSR There is a big hanger there that is open and has space avialable for 125-150$ per month. I think long term rates may be lower but you'd have to check. Airport mannagers number is (605) 745-3555.We are 50 miles from Rapid City.

Forgot about Wall, the Mayor runs or at least he did when a bunch of us got snowed in there 5 or so years back. Great place, friendly but no public fuel (then).

Last edited:
One of our members runs the Spearfish Airport FBO. Call and talk to Ray I'll bet he can steer you in the right direction.
Eagle Aviation-----605-642-4112

One of our members runs the Spearfish Airport FBO. Call and talk to Ray I'll bet he can steer you in the right direction.
Eagle Aviation-----605-642-4112

Spearfish is so full if you leave your hangar door open while you fly there's someone in it when you come back!

Dang, replies to my old post!! I was in Rapid City last week and discussed finding a hanger with my son. He had found one in Rapid City but it was all for nothing. Basically his new wife says he needs to pay for her college before he 'wastes' money on a damned airplane. Hell, I was going to give him the 172 and all he had to due was hangar it! This thread and the people I talked to were just a waste of my time and theirs. Thanks for the replies and my apologies for getting ahead of things.

"for better or for worse" Keith.. LOL.. hopefully she's at least a looker! :O)

LOL, Yes, unfortunately I think there is going to be a lot more WORSE than there is going to of the 'better' part, but then aren't all us parents a liitle protective of our kids?
Wayne, I found a LONG time ago that looks aren't everything! Granted, it sure helps but there are times when a '10' can be a -10 due to personality or action.

Back