• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bedliner on ABW Airstreaks

retread airstreaks

did the Herculiner on my airstreaks today will see how it lasts 013.jpg014.jpg017.jpg018.jpg

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 255
I put the Herculiner on my bushwheels before my round trip to Ak from Ks. this fall. I knew I would be needing land and taxi on alot of pavement. Worked great , sure saved the bushwheel's rubber.:smile:
Doug

Up date on bed liner 30+ landings on pavement and the bed liner is still on the surface no pavemant contact with real tire rubber just bed liner

I heard a story this week, 2nd hand but from a person I think would be a very reputable source, that there have been two accidents involving bed liner coming loose in a big ol beaver pelt. Once doing major damage to an elevator and once making a hole in a wing. Has anyone else heard of this? Would you be concerned about it?

I don't think there is enough mass to the bed liner to do any damage to the plane Now if the tire came apart then maybe it could do what you say.also if you clean and apply it right it is part of the tire001.JPG the photo is with 30+ pavement landings

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 453
I heard a story this week, 2nd hand but from a person I think would be a very reputable source, that there have been two accidents involving bed liner coming loose in a big ol beaver pelt. Once doing major damage to an elevator and once making a hole in a wing. Has anyone else heard of this? Would you be concerned about it?

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Jim got them on ebay they have a control box that will flash them together or alternate them that is how i wired them and use them as recognition lights the guy had a store on ebay and had other LED lights they were cheep also like $39.00 plus shipping they have 22 led's in them and are bright can see a long way out on final and have a flat mount that i bolted then to a panel i have a strobe on the fuselage so i wired them to it work gratehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircraft-La...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item3cc522dfa6&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I know this the experimental thread but... what's to stop a guy from slapping on some bedliner on a certified airplane? Could this not be considered preventative maintenance?
Part 43 Appendix A lists "(1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires" and "(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices" as preventative maintenance.
Is considering bedliner a minor repair a stretch on my part? Are there any other work arounds with the FSDO or with an IA? Could you see a FAA guy giving me a stink about it? (I will be taking a checkride with one here shortly.)

When I started this post, reporting on how it worked for me on my experimental, I got a email from Bill reminding me most users of ABW are certified, and it is a no go to use bedliner as it disturbs the engineering STC? Don't know for sure, and being exp. don't care, just a thought.

FWIW, mine is 100% worn off, and I landed on pavement about 8 times with little taxiing after slopping it on. Nonetheless, I think I'll put another coat on, using Herculiner this time. I may just slop on a recoat every 100 hrs, in over 200 it is all gone.

I just checked the date of the start of this thread, I put it on in July, so about 150 hrs on a 750 lb. plane, and it's way past time for a recoat. You guys with the heavier birds no doubt would scrub it off sooner.

Had a friend try this on his 'wagon with mixed results, he did operate on asphalt about 50% of the time, he tried different pressures but off airport it seemed to last quite a bit longer but asphalt ops was only about ten landings before a re-coat was needed. Airplane just too heavy I suppose.

I use (3) sets of tires (and [2] tailwheels) depending on where I fly. Not ideal, but makes performance manageable.

My landing/takeoff/taxi checklists includes remembering what gear is installed and what technique will be used.

Geeze, with all those ratings next to your handle, you should be able to manage anything that comes up with one set of tires

If some one spills a can of this in front of your hanger and you have to push your airplane thru it to get out? Was that intentionally installing it?

It has been 6 months and 35 pavement landings and taxi's and it's time to re-coat, it is wore threw in spots but i think it has done what i wanted it to do save the parent rubber on the tires.

I use (3) sets of tires (and [2] tailwheels) depending on where I fly. Not ideal, but makes performance manageable.

My landing/takeoff/taxi checklists includes remembering what gear is installed and what technique will be used.

Dear Surfer,
Do you use all those tires on your 2100A Lance?
Whew, that must be a job changing them when performance must be managed.

Tailwheel?

Dear Surfer,
Do you use all those tires on your 2100A Lance?
Whew, that must be a job changing them when performance must be managed.

Tailwheel?

Please give your IQ when posting so I know how to answer! :roll:

Sorry.
Here is how to answer.
At the bottom of the post there is a little arrow thing with the word "reply" adjacent.
Click on the arrow....
Now if that little vertical arrow is in the empty box you may start typing words.
When you have finished .. that will be your answer.
To complete click (left button on mouse) the "post quick reply" box below your answer...
It will then appear on the original posting site in the order in which it was received.

didn't mean to hija er divert the thread..
It's that damn Coonass gene sticking out
its irreverent head.

Back to big wheels now ..............

Back