• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bedliner on ABW Airstreaks

Not sure how that would work, might be too much of a good thing. The coating has to flex with the tire and I'm sure there's a point where it's too much for it.

I used about 2/3 of this, roller lets you put a coat on in 2 min

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herculiner-...ash=item56797010c1:g:9OQAAOSwnLdWqRWb&vxp=mtr

Glenn

That is a gallon, and if you used 2/3 of that, than you used more than 2 quarts. I have 1 quart on and am thinking about adding more, but it sounded like most people were simply doing a quart. If you in fact used 2/3 of a gallon and had good results I may crack another quart open and go to down before mounting the tires.

I remember that Phil Zinck had BWs that the bed liner was peeling off a few years ago. Timmy did his tires with bed liner 8 or 10 years ago and it has held up great. Remember if it doesn't stick that great then what are you going to do next. I followed Tim's recipe. I sanded them till everything on the surface has a cross hatch pattern on it. I then cleaned then with Xylene till the while rags stayed clean. Then I scuffer then up again and cleaned them again. I rolled on 4 coats 8 hrs apart, you need to stir the can every time you pour some out. So far working great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herculiner-...ash=item56797010c1:g:9OQAAOSwnLdWqRWb&vxp=mtr

Glenn

I did 4 coats

Glenn

I did 4 coats

Glenn
They did peel some on first quick application with an odd brand of Bedliner. Once following tims procedure and herculiner it worked great until I traded them on a good deal. Would not have traded them except it was another member who gave me a great deal. I love bushwheels but am not flying enough to pay for new ones. They may pay for themselves if an engine out situation arises though. Great product. No slam to bushwheels on their price. I would not pay 100.000 for the best cub in the world either. Thought paying around 20.000 for mine was too much, lol.

Last edited:
I use quart size, seems just the right size for my 29"Airstreaks. I've never tired, but I've heard the goop doesn't store well once opened.

I use quart size, seems just the right size for my 29"Airstreaks. I've never tired, but I've heard the goop doesn't store well once opened.

I filled the 2/3 empty can with some mapp gas that was handy, figured anything was better then air. 5 months later it's still liquid when I shake the can.

Glenn

Yeah, that works. Propane, Mapp, Acetylene and seal it good. My buddy did this and clicked the igniter on the torch out of habit and got a surprise.

Airframes can provide you with the STC. Do you have a specific question or did you buy a used set of tires and need the STC?

I must have done something wrong..., I cleaned the tires real well with soap and water and rinsed "em off and let "em dry. I rolled on the Herculiner and let it cure for about 4 days before I let it off the stands and it looked great! I flew it today and with only 1 take off and landing on pavement, about a third of its gone, and the rest will crumble off if I rub too hard.

soap and water will not clean the rubber. Consider using soap and water before you would spray your fabric... same idea.

I must have done something wrong..., I cleaned the tires real well with soap and water and rinsed "em off and let "em dry. I rolled on the Herculiner and let it cure for about 4 days before I let it off the stands and it looked great! I flew it today and with only 1 take off and landing on pavement, about a third of its gone, and the rest will crumble off if I rub too hard.
You missed the part about zylene, sand paper, and a brush

Herculiner has xylene as the base solvent, (30%). You can thin it a further 10% with xylene.

After several (5 or 6?) coats of Herc (75 to 125 hrs flying) I got a little cocky, and had a fail this last time. I only went the full blown xylene route the first time, subsequent re coats seemed to adhere and wear just fine, as good as the first zylene prepped time anyway, a simple soap and water brush wash job was all I did prior to brushing it on. This time, within 10 hrs, it was obvious something was different, it was coming off like a bad sunburn does to your skin (before every one used sunblock and fears skin cancer)! The good thing is, there is no harm done, I am just waiting to get the final remnants wore off, and then I'll recoat again with a bit more attention to prior prep. No big hunks flew off and went through the prop (as once was mentioned as feared could happen), it just looks like hell but I don't care about that. I blew 38 bucks, but still got a bit of use out of it, I'm still a convert.

Prep completed ready to apply first coat. Glenn did you dispose of the roller after each application or where you able to wrap it or freeze it for the next?

And your still able to formulate words after sniffing all that Xylene?

I put it in a Ziploc bag between coats

Glenn

Well without going into great detail it would not be my suggestion to start this prep process in the basement while your wife is upstairs cooking supper. I'm lucky I got it.

IMG_0915.jpgRotate every couple of hours for two days, done to perfection.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 301
As the wheel turns, by Vermont Bushwheel Coatings, LLC.

I thought I was going to see a photo of them mounted on a pheasant rotisserie.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back