• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight vs WingX

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I was just made aware of the release of "Garmin Pilot" as an app for the iPad/iPhone.

As a very satisfied customer of Foreflight I have not been looking to switch, but the initial look at Garmin Pilot is intriguing.

Anyone looked into this new app?

Randy

Randy,
I still like ForeFlight myself. I think
a lot depends on your mission just like everything else. It's going to take something
A lot better than ForeFlight for me to switch. Currently looking into the WXWorx A-DSB for integration of wx on ForeFlight.
Dave

My Dad was using Foreflight and tried Garmin Pilot. He prefers Forelight. I played with both but got frustrated. Why can't I plot a course from point A to point B with the aircraft range and it give me probable waypoints in between. I am not very good at these things but Cathy did get me hooked on Navmonster and I liked the Fuel Stop Planner on Air Nav. http://www.airnav.com/plan/fuel/

I have been using all three ( I have the trial for Garmin) and really they all do the same thing just with different steps to get it done. If I had an android rather than an ipad the garmin ap would be the way to go for that. I like all three, foreflight is good but not that much better than wingX. I think the one you got used to using first will probably be your preference. I do think foreflight and wingX make using the moving map for flight planning easier than Garmin's.

It seems like I remember reading that garmins weather will still be subscription based. That's enough to keep me from wanting to try it. I ordered the stratus from Sportys for fore flight. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

I ordered the stratus from Sportys for fore flight. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

It looked like an $800 boondoggle when I first saw it in Sportys. Then I ran into a 206 pilot on a long cross country who raved about it. I spend $600 a year on my XM subscription so it doesn't take long to pay for the Stratus at that rate. Be interested to hear your comments on the Stratus.

How do you guys manage to get that giant thing in the front seat of a Cub? I tried it in the back seat of a Citabria with somebody else looking out the window, and still wasn't terribly impressed. For weather, I prefer the 496 to even Airbus radar, and for VFR, the 295 beats everything else I have tried including EFIS.

we had iPad with foreflight (crapped out) an iPhone, and a 295 Sunday, and the best was still the LAX local chart and a compass. Granted, it was nice to have the purple line on the Garmin, but I could barely see it from the back.

Back