Thread: Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight vs WingX

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight vs WingX

I was just made aware of the release of "Garmin Pilot" as an app for the iPad/iPhone.

As a very satisfied customer of Foreflight I have not been looking to switch, but the initial look at Garmin Pilot is intriguing.

Anyone looked into this new app?

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,
    I still like ForeFlight myself. I think
    a lot depends on your mission just like everything else. It's going to take something
    A lot better than ForeFlight for me to switch. Currently looking into the WXWorx A-DSB for integration of wx on ForeFlight.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad was using Foreflight and tried Garmin Pilot. He prefers Forelight. I played with both but got frustrated. Why can't I plot a course from point A to point B with the aircraft range and it give me probable waypoints in between. I am not very good at these things but Cathy did get me hooked on Navmonster and I liked the Fuel Stop Planner on Air Nav. http://www.airnav.com/plan/fuel/
    Steve Pierce

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Nav Monster has been out of service for over a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using all three ( I have the trial for Garmin) and really they all do the same thing just with different steps to get it done. If I had an android rather than an ipad the garmin ap would be the way to go for that. I like all three, foreflight is good but not that much better than wingX. I think the one you got used to using first will probably be your preference. I do think foreflight and wingX make using the moving map for flight planning easier than Garmin's.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like I remember reading that garmins weather will still be subscription based. That's enough to keep me from wanting to try it. I ordered the stratus from Sportys for fore flight. Hope it lives up to my expectations.
    In memory of Hedgehopper

Post Thanks / Like
    Great input, thanks very much. I am going to stick with Foreflight for now.

Thanks, again.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j5mike View Post
    I ordered the stratus from Sportys for fore flight. Hope it lives up to my expectations.
    It looked like an $800 boondoggle when I first saw it in Sportys. Then I ran into a 206 pilot on a long cross country who raved about it. I spend $600 a year on my XM subscription so it doesn't take long to pay for the Stratus at that rate. Be interested to hear your comments on the Stratus.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys manage to get that giant thing in the front seat of a Cub? I tried it in the back seat of a Citabria with somebody else looking out the window, and still wasn't terribly impressed. For weather, I prefer the 496 to even Airbus radar, and for VFR, the 295 beats everything else I have tried including EFIS.

we had iPad with foreflight (crapped out) an iPhone, and a 295 Sunday, and the best was still the LAX local chart and a compass. Granted, it was nice to have the purple line on the Garmin, but I could barely see it from the back.