Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Oops, darn it...

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, darn it...

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    well, looks like Alice hasn't figured out landing yet... again....
    first picture is story is a video...
    http://mustreadalaska.com/shes-gonna...campbell-lake/

below is her last crash/botched landing on floats... a year or two? ago(it's somewhere in this thread).... I think these are/were new cessnas too??..
    I was told from a solid source, that vid was of her taking off a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Has there been any more information about the pilot that died in the crash near Chakachamna Lake? I just like to know of mechanical problems regarding major crashes, so I can improve my preflights / in-flight decisions.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    IDENTIFICATION
    Date: 24-SEP-17
    Time: 21:40:00Z
    Regis#: N1755C
    Aircraft Make: CESSNA
    Aircraft Model: 180
    Event Type: INCIDENT
    Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
    Aircraft Missing: No
    Damage: UNKNOWN
    State: ALASKA
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT WAS FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN IN RIVER.

From another forum: """said the engine quit with no warning, no roughness, stumbling, etc. He was returning from the McGrath area after a moose hunt and had topped off the tanks the night before, should not have been a quantity issue unless there was an unnoticed leak or venting going on. They were pretty low when they lost power, sounded like the river was the best spot. After successfully getting it on the water they floated downstream for 10 mins or so. As his buddy stood out on the float trying to get a rope to shore, the pilot made radio calls to keep updating people on their position. Eventually they came around a bend and hit a sweeper, plane jammed in and in a few secs sucked the upstream wing under and rolled the plane. His buddy on the floats got launched into the water and he got sucked under with the plane. Fortunately he was able to swim out and inflate his vest. They were both eventually able to make it to shore and jumped around trying to stay warm until the boats arrived about 10 mins later.

Super lucky to alive. He said their inflatable float vests and his survival training are what saved him."""
    so just out of gas??? didn't watch fuel gauges?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    Has there been any more information about the pilot that died in the crash near Chakachamna Lake? I just like to know of mechanical problems regarding major crashes, so I can improve my preflights / in-flight decisions.
    Ive heard nothing.
    The report said that the RCC responded to an ELT signal at 10:47 pm. If that's when the crash occurred then part of the issue is the choice to fly at night in an area of minimal lights for reference.
    Disorientation would be very easy. Must have wanted to get home badly.
    So sad!
    Ed

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    IDENTIFICATION
    Date: 24-SEP-17
    Time: 21:40:00Z
    Regis#: N1755C
    Aircraft Make: CESSNA
    Aircraft Model: 180
    Event Type: INCIDENT
    Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
    Aircraft Missing: No
    Damage: UNKNOWN
    State: ALASKA
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT WAS FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN IN RIVER.

From another forum: """said the engine quit with no warning, no roughness, stumbling, etc. He was returning from the McGrath area after a moose hunt and had topped off the tanks the night before, should not have been a quantity issue unless there was an unnoticed leak or venting going on. They were pretty low when they lost power, sounded like the river was the best spot. After successfully getting it on the water they floated downstream for 10 mins or so. As his buddy stood out on the float trying to get a rope to shore, the pilot made radio calls to keep updating people on their position. Eventually they came around a bend and hit a sweeper, plane jammed in and in a few secs sucked the upstream wing under and rolled the plane. His buddy on the floats got launched into the water and he got sucked under with the plane. Fortunately he was able to swim out and inflate his vest. They were both eventually able to make it to shore and jumped around trying to stay warm until the boats arrived about 10 mins later.

Super lucky to alive. He said their inflatable float vests and his survival training are what saved him."""
    http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Two...448781923.html

Post Thanks / Like
    A good lesson, reinforcing what the experienced guys here already tell us.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ga-sa...3011152778208/