• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Portable GPS units becoming obsolete! Replaced by Iphone and Ipad!

Compass and a map for me and that will never change. I only hit direct on the old Bendix King 135 on days like this... when the ability to read a map isn't of much use!

ontop.jpg

Yep, there is a time and a place for everything. I really like the weather and terrain on the 496 when the visibility is crap and I want to get somewhere.

Garmins are like eagles, made to fly. IPads and IPhones are like ducks, they´ll fly, walk and swim not so well. That´s my very own personal by the way I´m a huge mac and apple fan, I won´t fly the Orinoco plains, the Amazon jungle or the Colombian Pacific coast with an iPhone or an IPad.

Greetings from Colombia

I learned Morse Code to ID the VORs without studying the chart. Then I transitioned to the A320, and it knows Morse better than me.

Two totally legal VFR ops (USA):

* VFR on top
* VFR night

I have seen the wrecks, from these two flight regimes, for almost every type of GA flying, Learjets to student pilots. In these ops use everything and anything to be safe.

Sounds exactly like what my accountant told me about this year's income tax rules:lol:

Regarding Missile Logic

Last edited:
I like charts. My iPad will back up my charts and vice versa. I like the idea of printing out the charts as needed before a flight in case batteries fail. Thanks for the link for the iPad mount by the way. I think a mount that would attach to an unused hole in the panel would be a cool idea so it could be in and out at will. Maybe a backing plate in the hole could support the iPad mount? Regarding vibration, there are a lot of iPads, tablets, and lap tops rolling around in Tow Trucks, Semi's and Emergency vehicles; different than an airplane but the systems are pretty robust. Times they are a changing.
Marty57

I pasted this on another forum where another poster stated that maps, driving time estimates weren't needed in recreational vehicles anymore "....because the iPad can do anything, they even use it for flying!" Some degree of intentional tongue in cheek, but had to add this to this thread.

"So....I was given a new iPad for Christmas. Thought I'd load a sectional on it and use it in the 'ol PA-12. So, one bright sunny morning in March, I squeeze into the -12, set the old trusty kneeboard off to the side, put the iPad in the seat pocket and took off.

After getting away from class D airspace, I pull the iPad out. Hmmm, no kneeboard strap, oh well, just hold on to it. Turn it on, wait a long time for it to turn on, something to do with the 5 degree cabin temps?. Oh well, it's on.

Ok, let's call up the sectional. Hit icon repeatedly, hmmm, nothing happens. Stick iPad inside coat for 5 minutes, it warms up, I can pull up sectional (Thank goodness I still am in familiar territory).

Now we're cruising along happily coordinating terrain outside with electronic sectional. Life is good. Then we turn the corner and are now entering the Knik-Matanuska drainage....just below the Knik glacier. Things, as they often do around the Knik in the spring, get bumpy. No big deal, but, wait...no strap, kneeboard or other means of holding the iPad. One hand on throttle, one hand on stick, leaves 0 hands for the iPad. Oh well, I'll turn it off and chase down a kneeboard for it next trip. Hmmm....it won't turn off (see above re: cold). Frustration is creeping in.

Stick iPad inside coat for warming up....seems like a good place to leave it, but it's bumpy enough that the seat/shoulder belts are crushing iPad and I'm getting busy turning around and entering pattern for Palmer.

Pull out iPad from coat. Throw it in back seat. Fight the PA-12 down to land at Palmer...realize that, technically, I could record two landings for this one arrival (thanks to bouncy spring gear and gusty winds).

Moral of the story: the iPad stays with granddaughter to play games on and I'll stick with paper sectionals while flying the PA-12. No iPads while landing.

(fair degree of tongue-in-cheek in this tale.
smile.gif
)"

If someone didn't already say this PLEASE lift your head and look where you're going. There are actually other planes out there. This stuff is all great, but remember the satellites can, and do, shut down without notice.Don't get lazy and forget about where you are.

I have an Airpath C2300 Compass in a box that I took out of the panel last summer. I could not get it to work, magnetizm) . I replaced it with a vertical compass (precision PAI-700) ----thinking it would be less sensitive and maybe would work in the panel. Well no such luck still gives bad readings.
I would like to move it up to the windshield as others have mentioned in this thread.
I fall into the catagory of those that feel I need a working compass!!

I can hold the Airpath up in the area of mount and it will work.
Question: Has anyone mounted either of these units up on the glare shield. You can buy a bracket to hold the PAI-700 and it says you can mount it on the shield?---Anyone done this with the vertical ----- It looks like the Airpath c2300 is the wrong unit to work with their remote mounting bracket so my only option will probably be the Vertical.-----

This iPad is working great at 35000 ft at the moment.. The ADS-B offering is compelling, but I would rather have it on a true aviation gps. Do they have handheld adsb yet other than for iPad?

sj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question: Has anyone mounted either of these units up on the glare shield. You can buy a bracket to hold the PAI-700 and it says you can mount it on the shield?---Anyone done this with the vertical ----- It looks like the Airpath c2300 is the wrong unit to work with their remote mounting bracket so my only option will probably be the Vertical.-----

I tried to mount the vertical card on the glare shield - didn't work too well. Demagnetized the tubes and that temporarily helped, but it eventually regressed to being worthless. If you want a working compass in a cub, BUY A S.I.R.S. COMPASS AND GLUE IT TO THE TOP OF THE WINDSHIELD - IT WORKS! Everything else is a waste of time.

I was afraid of that so now will have three compasses. Anyone need a Airpath C2300 or a Vertical PAI-700----For Sale---Price is Right---

This iPad is working great at 35000 ft at the moment.. The ADS-B offering is compelling, but I would rather have it on a true aviation gps. Do they have handheld adsb yet other than for iPad?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADS-B is available as an add on for the iFly720 (plugs into the USB port), but costs about the same as the GPS unit for now. You'll get weather, but traffic conflicts on it are reported to be pretty poor as it's only going to report Mode S traffic. I expect it to be available on other GPS units soon.

Is the iFly considered to be a "True Aviation GPS"? It offers many iPad like features, can use Wifi updates, and has a web browser for when you can pick up Wifi. It seems like an odd compromise, but is apparently designed as an aviation GPS first that offers some iPad like features.

-CubBuilder

On my Iphone I downloaded the Garmin App for $29 a year - now I can unload the two auto-GPS units I own. When lost my Iphone comes to the rescue. I have three Aviation GPS units - Garmin 195, 295 & an old old one.

I also love my iPhone but my advice is to use the Garmin app as your GPS for a month before ditching your auto-GPS. I still have my dedicated GPS in the car and find that it is a better PRIMARY unit for many reasons.

I tend to use my iPhone in the rental car or when needing a GPS map in cities where I haven't brought my dedicated-GPS.

Reasons for concern for GPS on the iPhone:
a) your "on demand" Garmin app requires a celluar data connection to download the map "on demand"....note: there is a more expensive Garmin app that downloads the map data in advance and lets the GPS chip handle the navigation w/out a cellular data connection
b) iPhone is still your phone. While you can psuedo-multitask on the iPhone and the Garmin app will work in the background, it is a bit awkward to drive, use your phone "handsfree" (try dialing from your contact list for example) while hoping that the Garmin app is not trying to remind you to get off at the next exit
c) the GPS function using the Garmin app CHEWS through your battery very, very quickly; always have the phone plugged in or else not only may you lose navigation, you've lost your ability to call anyone for old-fashioned "directions".
d) you might also use your phone for music through the car (bluetooth or wired connection). This works with the Garmin but it starts to get awkward if you are using the Sirius/XM app or any other app (internet radio, etc) as it requires some additional multi-tasking

I'm not bashing the iPhone or the Garmin app....I have both and really like them but I prefer my dedicated auto-GPS when I have that option. No debate for me.

In the air...I use Foreflight on the phone for planning (when I don't have my iPad handy), couple the 430W to the autopilot (try that with the iPad!), use the 496 with XM for Weather (and music through the audio panel for X-country), AND tend to preference the iPad with Foreflight for "sectionals". I do keep a stack of paper sectionals for backup but they certainly don't come out very often.

Back