Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable GPS units becoming obsolete! Replaced by Iphone and Ipad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea where to get a panel mounting system for the iPad? The one used by Cub Crafters looks interesting. Experimental use so that should open up the available sources. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    Any idea where to get a panel mounting system for the iPad? The one used by Cub Crafters looks interesting. Experimental use so that should open up the available sources. Any ideas?Thanks,Marty57
    If you need it flush, build a support and recess it. Or don't, because in a few months the current iPad form will likely be obsolete.

I hear Garmin is preparing to introduce a 99 cent app that'll render their expensive boxes like the G-1000 obsolete.

http://www.airgizmos.com/iPad-Panel-Mount_p_47.html
    Last edited by sierra bravo; 04-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the penalty on these personal type computers to have constant vibration...

What will happen in 200 hours of that vibration?

How many hours does you GPS function in the same vibration?

just wondering.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    iPads are 100% solid state, as are the newer iPods, Macbook Air, and some MacBooks. No hard drive to rattle around. No problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone offer aviation software for iPads or iPhones that includes obstacles? I find that to be one of the most important features of the Garmins. 4Flight, for instance, does not have this feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im so glad I live in the NW with natural landmarks called mountains, lakes, and rivers. I guess living and flying here most of my life has also made it easy to navigate. No batteries, Subscriptions, or Updates needed. A compass, watch, and sometimes even a sectional seem to work fine for me. I have crossed the country many times that way too. I love gadgets widgets and all the modern technology but not when I get in my Supercub. I have had a Garmin Pilot III for years and that's all I have ever needed. Use it for long x-country when trying to maximize fuel for endurance. It runs 24 hrs on 4 AA batteries, Is small and out of the way, and reliable. I have no electrical system, usually fly with ear plugs, and avoid towered airports or airports in general. I like the simplicity, romance, and adventure of flying. Prefer to keep things simple. Never had much interest beyond that. I guess to each his own. It's nice to see things like the Ipad simplifying the cockpit and eliminating clutter. Who knows maybe someday when I'm too old to hand prop and need to put an electrical system back in my airplane I may consider that as an option. I still like the GPS with buttons over the touch screen. It's hard to work a touch screen in turbulence I have found.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerard View Post
    Im so glad I live in the NW with natural landmarks called mountains, lakes, and rivers. I guess living and flying here most of my life has also made it easy to navigate. No batteries, Subscriptions, or Updates needed. A compass, watch, and sometimes even a sectional seem to work fine for me. I have crossed the country many times that way too. I love gadgets widgets and all the modern technology but not when I get in my Supercub. I have had a Garmin Pilot III for years and that's all I have ever needed. Use it for long x-country when trying to maximize fuel for endurance. It runs 24 hrs on 4 AA batteries, Is small and out of the way, and reliable. I have no electrical system, usually fly with ear plugs, and avoid towered airports or airports in general. I like the simplicity, romance, and adventure of flying. Prefer to keep things simple. Never had much interest beyond that. I guess to each his own. It's nice to see things like the Ipad simplifying the cockpit and eliminating clutter. Who knows maybe someday when I'm too old to hand prop and need to put an electrical system back in my airplane I may consider that as an option. I still like the GPS with buttons over the touch screen. It's hard to work a touch screen in turbulence I have found.

Jason
    Or your eye sight goes to pot and you can't see the PilotIII anymore.
    Steve Pierce

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Jason.

Just use the GPS to stay out of trouble. I look at a computer screen enough as it is.
    Piper J-5A C-90 N40877
    J-5 Project Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that why your computer monitor is so big Steve - LOL

I found your next birth day present, this way when you loose your reading glasses you can still call and order a new pair

opticom-big-button-corded-telephone.jpg

Gotta flip you a little crap just because I know that day is coming where I'll need glasses too bud

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree touch screens suck in a Cub. It helped to discover they record when you let go, not when you touch.
    Physics always bats last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerard View Post

Jason
    And I thought that I was the only guy out there with just earplugs. Jason keep up the good work.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Starr View Post
    12geezer - I hear you. I am waiting for someone here to lament the passing of the four-course navigational system and the outrageous lack of Morse code capability in younger pilots. And so it goes, technology changes and life goes on.

.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- .. -.. --- -... . .-.. .. . ...- . - .... .- - ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... ... - .. .-.. .-.. -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.. ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... .-- . .-. . -. --- - -... --- .-. -. .-- .... . -. .. - .-- . -. - --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . --..-- --- .-. --- ..- - --- ..-. ..-. .- ... .... .. --- -. .-.-.- .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. .. - .. ... .- ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-.. .- -. -.. ...- . .-. -.-- ... .. -- .--. .-.. . ... -.-- ... - . -- --- ..-. -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .- -. -.. ... - .. .-.. .-.. .-- --- .-. -.- ... .--- ..- ... - ..-. .. -. . - --- -.. .- -.-- --..-- .--- ..- ... - .-.. .. -.- . .- -.-. --- -- .--. .- ... ... .-.-.- -.-- --- ..- -.- -. --- .-- .. .----. -- .--- ..- ... - .--. .. -.-. -.- .. -. --. --- -. -.-- --- ..- --..-- .-. .. --. .... -

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's under the radar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grant View Post
    .-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- .. -.. --- -... . .-.. .. . ...- . - .... .- - ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... ... - .. .-.. .-.. -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.. ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... .-- . .-. . -. --- - -... --- .-. -. .-- .... . -. .. - .-- . -. - --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . --..-- --- .-. --- ..- - --- ..-. ..-. .- ... .... .. --- -. .-.-.- .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. .. - .. ... .- ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-.. .- -. -.. ...- . .-. -.-- ... .. -- .--. .-.. . ... -.-- ... - . -- --- ..-. -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .- -. -.. ... - .. .-.. .-.. .-- --- .-. -.- ... .--- ..- ... - ..-. .. -. . - --- -.. .- -.-- --..-- .--- ..- ... - .-.. .. -.- . .- -.-. --- -- .--. .- ... ... .-.-.- -.-- --- ..- -.- -. --- .-- .. .----. -- .--- ..- ... - .--. .. -.-. -.- .. -. --. --- -. -.-- --- ..- --..-- .-. .. --. .... -
    well,idobelievethatsomeofusstillknowmorsecodeandso meofuswerenotbornwhenitwentobsolete,oroutoffashion .howeveritisausefulandverysimplesystemofcommunicat ionandstillworksjustfinetoday,justlikeacompass.you knowi'mjustpickingonyou,righ-
    Piper J-5A C-90 N40877
    J-5 Project Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Pierce

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you guys cut it out. I'm still trying to decipher Metars, I don't need anymore code to figure out

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Steve P's Dad and I pounded brass (that's a cw code key) in the Navy and I'd use it in a pinch if I could. But there are no more ground stations using code to communicate with, not even with the old SOS from a Gibson Girl. But its been easy to move into the high tech navigation with all the GPS gizmos. From what I hear from Tim Allen's buddies, he flies loaded with them. Which shows anyone become absolutely trusting in their operation. We all know that GPS helps guide our Air Force Missiles, so after listening to the following simple explanation of its operation, you too can throw your wet compass, timex watch and paper charts in the can:
    http://mylifedock.com/how-a-usaf-mis...ws-where-it-is
    Jim Newton
    -------------
    My SPOT: www.tinyurl.com/N4079Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Grant - That was really neat, bravo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fifteen transcontinentals in a J-3 with only a semi-ok compass and a cheap watch. I now turn the 295 on for local flying, but will not let primary students use gps ior anything else until dead reckoning and pilotage are mastered and trusted.

The 295 is superior to the iPad for navigation, because it only takes a glance to see everything you need. I use mine for backup on ILS approaches. Opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    My concern with the iPAD is the background processes. I have coded in that OS and I KNOW it's not fault tolerant. However, iPAD IS A Great machine for commercial money making. But, dedicated small light CPU/OS for nav is my style right now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Flower bombing at Valdez...There's an APP for that.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Compass and a map for me and that will never change. I only hit direct on the old Bendix King 135 on days like this... when the ability to read a map isn't of much use!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, there is a time and a place for everything. I really like the weather and terrain on the 496 when the visibility is crap and I want to get somewhere.
    Steve Pierce

Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm

I actually did learn Morse code in Boy Scouts. I memorized how to spell curse words. then I'd write them all over. It was a real discrete way to get back at the nuns for slapping me around in Catholic school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Garmins are like eagles, made to fly. IPads and IPhones are like ducks, they´ll fly, walk and swim not so well. That´s my very own personal by the way I´m a huge mac and apple fan, I won´t fly the Orinoco plains, the Amazon jungle or the Colombian Pacific coast with an iPhone or an IPad.

Greetings from Colombia
    Eduardo Oliveros
    PA18-150 HK470-G
    Cali, Colombia

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned Morse Code to ID the VORs without studying the chart. Then I transitioned to the A320, and it knows Morse better than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two totally legal VFR ops (USA):

* VFR on top
    * VFR night

I have seen the wrecks, from these two flight regimes, for almost every type of GA flying, Learjets to student pilots. In these ops use everything and anything to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds exactly like what my accountant told me about this year's income tax rules

Regarding Missile Logic
    Last edited by BradleyG; 04-26-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Regarding Missile Logic
    If the pilot fears to test his skills with the elements, he has chosen the wrong profession.....Lindbergh

Post Thanks / Like
    I like charts. My iPad will back up my charts and vice versa. I like the idea of printing out the charts as needed before a flight in case batteries fail. Thanks for the link for the iPad mount by the way. I think a mount that would attach to an unused hole in the panel would be a cool idea so it could be in and out at will. Maybe a backing plate in the hole could support the iPad mount? Regarding vibration, there are a lot of iPads, tablets, and lap tops rolling around in Tow Trucks, Semi's and Emergency vehicles; different than an airplane but the systems are pretty robust. Times they are a changing.
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I pasted this on another forum where another poster stated that maps, driving time estimates weren't needed in recreational vehicles anymore "....because the iPad can do anything, they even use it for flying!" Some degree of intentional tongue in cheek, but had to add this to this thread.

"So....I was given a new iPad for Christmas. Thought I'd load a sectional on it and use it in the 'ol PA-12. So, one bright sunny morning in March, I squeeze into the -12, set the old trusty kneeboard off to the side, put the iPad in the seat pocket and took off.

After getting away from class D airspace, I pull the iPad out. Hmmm, no kneeboard strap, oh well, just hold on to it. Turn it on, wait a long time for it to turn on, something to do with the 5 degree cabin temps?. Oh well, it's on.

Ok, let's call up the sectional. Hit icon repeatedly, hmmm, nothing happens. Stick iPad inside coat for 5 minutes, it warms up, I can pull up sectional (Thank goodness I still am in familiar territory).

Now we're cruising along happily coordinating terrain outside with electronic sectional. Life is good. Then we turn the corner and are now entering the Knik-Matanuska drainage....just below the Knik glacier. Things, as they often do around the Knik in the spring, get bumpy. No big deal, but, wait...no strap, kneeboard or other means of holding the iPad. One hand on throttle, one hand on stick, leaves 0 hands for the iPad. Oh well, I'll turn it off and chase down a kneeboard for it next trip. Hmmm....it won't turn off (see above re: cold). Frustration is creeping in.

Stick iPad inside coat for warming up....seems like a good place to leave it, but it's bumpy enough that the seat/shoulder belts are crushing iPad and I'm getting busy turning around and entering pattern for Palmer.

Pull out iPad from coat. Throw it in back seat. Fight the PA-12 down to land at Palmer...realize that, technically, I could record two landings for this one arrival (thanks to bouncy spring gear and gusty winds).

Moral of the story: the iPad stays with granddaughter to play games on and I'll stick with paper sectionals while flying the PA-12. No iPads while landing.

(fair degree of tongue-in-cheek in this tale. )"

Post Thanks / Like
    Real. And well said. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Catholic school.
    Everything makes so much more sense now.
    In transition. Never sit still.

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone didn't already say this PLEASE lift your head and look where you're going. There are actually other planes out there. This stuff is all great, but remember the satellites can, and do, shut down without notice.Don't get lazy and forget about where you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Airpath C2300 Compass in a box that I took out of the panel last summer. I could not get it to work, magnetizm) . I replaced it with a vertical compass (precision PAI-700) ----thinking it would be less sensitive and maybe would work in the panel. Well no such luck still gives bad readings.
    I would like to move it up to the windshield as others have mentioned in this thread.
    I fall into the catagory of those that feel I need a working compass!!

I can hold the Airpath up in the area of mount and it will work.
    Question: Has anyone mounted either of these units up on the glare shield. You can buy a bracket to hold the PAI-700 and it says you can mount it on the shield?---Anyone done this with the vertical ----- It looks like the Airpath c2300 is the wrong unit to work with their remote mounting bracket so my only option will probably be the Vertical.-----

Post Thanks / Like
    This iPad is working great at 35000 ft at the moment.. The ADS-B offering is compelling, but I would rather have it on a true aviation gps. Do they have handheld adsb yet other than for iPad?

sj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
    Question: Has anyone mounted either of these units up on the glare shield. You can buy a bracket to hold the PAI-700 and it says you can mount it on the shield?---Anyone done this with the vertical ----- It looks like the Airpath c2300 is the wrong unit to work with their remote mounting bracket so my only option will probably be the Vertical.-----
    I tried to mount the vertical card on the glare shield - didn't work too well. Demagnetized the tubes and that temporarily helped, but it eventually regressed to being worthless. If you want a working compass in a cub, BUY A S.I.R.S. COMPASS AND GLUE IT TO THE TOP OF THE WINDSHIELD - IT WORKS! Everything else is a waste of time.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I was afraid of that so now will have three compasses. Anyone need a Airpath C2300 or a Vertical PAI-700----For Sale---Price is Right---

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    This iPad is working great at 35000 ft at the moment.. The ADS-B offering is compelling, but I would rather have it on a true aviation gps. Do they have handheld adsb yet other than for iPad?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ADS-B is available as an add on for the iFly720 (plugs into the USB port), but costs about the same as the GPS unit for now. You'll get weather, but traffic conflicts on it are reported to be pretty poor as it's only going to report Mode S traffic. I expect it to be available on other GPS units soon.

Is the iFly considered to be a "True Aviation GPS"? It offers many iPad like features, can use Wifi updates, and has a web browser for when you can pick up Wifi. It seems like an odd compromise, but is apparently designed as an aviation GPS first that offers some iPad like features.

-CubBuilder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OVEREASYGUY View Post
    On my Iphone I downloaded the Garmin App for $29 a year - now I can unload the two auto-GPS units I own. When lost my Iphone comes to the rescue. I have three Aviation GPS units - Garmin 195, 295 & an old old one.
    I also love my iPhone but my advice is to use the Garmin app as your GPS for a month before ditching your auto-GPS. I still have my dedicated GPS in the car and find that it is a better PRIMARY unit for many reasons.

I tend to use my iPhone in the rental car or when needing a GPS map in cities where I haven't brought my dedicated-GPS.

Reasons for concern for GPS on the iPhone:
    a) your "on demand" Garmin app requires a celluar data connection to download the map "on demand"....note: there is a more expensive Garmin app that downloads the map data in advance and lets the GPS chip handle the navigation w/out a cellular data connection
    b) iPhone is still your phone. While you can psuedo-multitask on the iPhone and the Garmin app will work in the background, it is a bit awkward to drive, use your phone "handsfree" (try dialing from your contact list for example) while hoping that the Garmin app is not trying to remind you to get off at the next exit
    c) the GPS function using the Garmin app CHEWS through your battery very, very quickly; always have the phone plugged in or else not only may you lose navigation, you've lost your ability to call anyone for old-fashioned "directions".
    d) you might also use your phone for music through the car (bluetooth or wired connection). This works with the Garmin but it starts to get awkward if you are using the Sirius/XM app or any other app (internet radio, etc) as it requires some additional multi-tasking

I'm not bashing the iPhone or the Garmin app....I have both and really like them but I prefer my dedicated auto-GPS when I have that option. No debate for me.

In the air...I use Foreflight on the phone for planning (when I don't have my iPad handy), couple the 430W to the autopilot (try that with the iPad!), use the 496 with XM for Weather (and music through the audio panel for X-country), AND tend to preference the iPad with Foreflight for "sectionals". I do keep a stack of paper sectionals for backup but they certainly don't come out very often.