• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag Aero Plans

wronghand

Whitehorse, Yukon
I don't know if I'm going crazy or if it was just too long a day at the office, but I think I found an error in the Sport Trainer plans.

I keep "losing" a half inch whe I try to lay out the clusters on the sloped longerons, both upper and lower. I have double checked my datum lines and they are in the right spot (I believe). But between upper stations 3 and 6, as well as between lower stations 3 and 8: I find that the cumulative measurements between stations add up to 1/2" more than the distance between the above mentioned stations.

Anyone else run into this? Or do I need to go back to math class?

As I recall when I laid out the dimentions for the side jig, Wag-Aero used dimensions along (parallel to) the longerons between clusters and Piper used cluster dimensions laid out parallel with the horizontal reference line. Not sure if that's what you're asking but I did some head scratching looking at the two sets of plans until I saw the different way each was arriving at cluster location dimensions.
Howard

Ya it's along those lines...
From lwr station 3 to lower station 8 the plan dimension parallel to the lower datum line is 166 1/32".
The datum lines are 25 1/2" apart. That gives you a hypotenuse (which in this case is the lower longeron itself) of 168". Now if you add up all of the cluster measurements (again parallel to the longeron), I get a sum of 168 1/2".

Now on the PA-11 plans I have two of the cluster measurements are 1/4" shorter than the Wag Aero plans, which accounts for the missing 1/2". It's a head scratcher...

Not sure if anyone else on this site is planning on building the Wag Aero cub but if so, I got the corrected measurements for laying out the fuselage sides.

From lower station 3 to lower station 8 (the aft. datum line) the measurement should be 166 and 17/32"-- on the plans it is listed as 166 and 1/32". This accounts for my "missing" 1/2". These measurements should be made parallel to the lower datum line.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else on this site is planning on building the Wag Aero cub but if so, I got the corrected measurements for laying out the fuselage sides.

From lower station 3 to lower station 8 (the aft. datum line) the measurement should be 166 and 17/32"-- on the plans it is listed as 166 and 1/32". This accounts for my "missing" 1/2". These measurements should be made parallel to the lower datum line.

Are you licensed for the plans? If licensed, send data to WAG and make them update it and send you new plans!

Got the info from the guys at Wag-- along with some great guidance from the members of J-3club. Don't know why wag aero hasn't revised them...

Got the info from the guys at Wag-- along with some great guidance from the members of J-3club. Don't know why wag aero hasn't revised them...

I would think in the computer world WAG could update plans with a touch of a button? I hope they are not blue-line still.

It ia what it is I guess. From what I hear there are a few "glitches" to sort through when you use Wag plans. Oh well, I'm sure I can overcome.

Hey Wronghand
Join the club,went through the same issues when I set up my jig years ago. At the time Wag acted like it was a new issue to them and Tom would give you the corrected numbers if you figured it out and phoned Still have the plans rolled on the top shelf if you need the numbers I could get them for you

Get ready for similar glitches along the way learn from them and when you come across the next you will be better at solving them,. Trust me there will be many and this is the best place for help with them Gary

Thanks a lot Gary, I'm sure that I will be picking your brain. Is there anything else obvious that you can remember?

Well I managed to get all the layout done for the sides. Also completed the left side and popped it out of the jig. I guess I'm committed now...20120521_185549.jpg

Attachments

• 20120521_185549.jpg
    20120521_185549.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 148
Back