• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Resonator on my tailpipe?

cubamigo

Linclonville Maine
My Hotrod exhaust is "sooo loud" Has anyone tried a resonator on their experimental?

The problem with a sweet sounding tailpipe note is that your neighbors too soon get tired of it.

Glenn

18" Cherry bombs on my 69' Cougar..... Had a warning from a stater... Welded on another set of 24" Cherry's behind the 18's, still sounded good wide open... :)
Still have the car, just has not been running for about 20 years now.

I would not worry about your exhaust.... The prop probably makes more noise when WOT at take off than the exhaust ever will...

Brian.

Brian: At least you were smart enuff to keep your Couger---Makes me wish I still had my 64 Corvette with side pipes and a FI 327--could hear it at idle 3 blocks away---maybe that is why I need noise cancelling headsets now !!!!

From Longpacer--"What about these things"
I have run them for years and yes they do make a noticeable difference.
Doug

Piccolo tubes

I have used piccolo tubes similar to these on my C-90 powered cub. They really took the bark out of the exhaust noise. They might be worth trying but I think they would look goofy on a 3" pipe.

My Hotrod exhaust is "sooo loud" Has anyone tried a resonator on their experimental?

FYI, I took my noise meter out in the plane tonight to identify my own noise levels. PA-12, 160hp w/8242 prop, and a Hot Rod muffler. 1200 rpm warm-up 85db. 2450 rpm cruise 98db. Full throttle 2700 rpm cruise 102db. Driving home in my Duramax pickup, 65db at neighborhood speeds. Turn on the amplified Alpine and turn it up to comfortably loud volume, 95db with peaks to 99db. My ANR Gallet helmet is supposed to have about 30db of total noise reduction. My stereo? no hearing protection there. I think I know why my ears ring. :)

I did not establish pre Hot Rod noise levels in my -12. I wish I did. Anyone at Hood with a stock muffler that wants to measure that exhaust's noise level can PM me to borrow the meter. I'll measure the 180 for noise next time out.

The piccolo tubes probably would work. But, it would also probably rob you of some of your engine performance.

I have done the following a couple of times on experimentals and know it works to quite the exhaust a bit.....

Take the end cap off the main muffler. The inlet pipes should have a bunch of holes drilled in them. Pack some course stainless steel wool around the smaller exhaust pipes then weld back on the end cap. This effectively makes it a glass pack, just without the glass fibers.

Brian: At least you were smart enuff to keep your Couger---Makes me wish I still had my 64 Corvette with side pipes and a FI 327--could hear it at idle 3 blocks away---maybe that is why I need noise cancelling headsets now !!!!

I have 2 of them now.... Picked up a 69' Cougar XR7 a few years ago... Took the 302 out of the coupe and stuck it in a 65' Comet that I have. I was going to use the coupe the fix up the XR7 and scrap the rest. But now I will probably keep them both. Got a 429 for one and the 302 for the other. The Comet unfortunately was under our hanger that blew over in a micro-burst about 6 years ago and got tweaked pretty bad. The roof line was pushed over about 2 inches.

I'm a huge Cougar fan though. I owned a 67' in high school, still wish I had that one. The 69's have a lot more of a muscle car look than the 67' though IMO.

Brian.

Last edited:
FYI, I took my noise meter out in the plane tonight to identify my own noise levels. PA-12, 160hp w/8242 prop, and a Hot Rod muffler. 1200 rpm warm-up 85db. 2450 rpm cruise 98db. Full throttle 2700 rpm cruise 102db. Driving home in my Duramax pickup, 65db at neighborhood speeds. Turn on the amplified Alpine and turn it up to comfortably loud volume, 95db with peaks to 99db. My ANR Gallet helmet is supposed to have about 30db of total noise reduction. My stereo? no hearing protection there. I think I know why my ears ring. :)

I did not establish pre Hot Rod noise levels in my -12. I wish I did. Anyone at Hood with a stock muffler that wants to measure that exhaust's noise level can PM me to borrow the meter. I'll measure the 180 for noise next time out.

my 180 is 3-4db quieter than my -12 consistently throughout the operating range. in case anybody wonders how the two models compare.

Back