• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aileron - Flap hinge fabrication

Olibuilt

Montreal, Canada
I need about 12 aileron - flap hinges. I have a few left from the crashed plane but I need more (3 per flaps and ailerons). At about 100$ each for the stock ones, I was thinking making them. Or is there a cheaper$ experimental alternative??

00113.JPG

Should I copy the stock design, and make them by bending some steel?
What about using stainless steel about the same thickness?

Thanks

Attachments

• 00113.JPG
    00113.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 123
Olibuilt dont use s/s on any thing that will contact aluminum it will cause corrosion and these thing are bolted to the spar.

It's not bad and you can save a little. If you use the traditional super flap false spar, there is a slight difference between the flap and aileron hinge brackets that the eye won't pick up. Watch those prints.

Good luck

Stainless steel(most grades) are very close to most grades of aluminum as found on aircraft(2024, etc) on the galvanic corrosion chart. Which means corrosion is minimal and a good coat of zinc chromate primer is all thats required on the aluminum parts. I would not hesitate to make them from say 304 SS.

John

There is a slight difference in the aileron hinges and flap hinges as Iflylower indicated.

Stainless steel(most grades) are very close to most grades of aluminum as found on aircraft(2024, etc) on the galvanic corrosion chart. Which means corrosion is minimal and a good coat of zinc chromate primer is all thats required on the aluminum parts. I would not hesitate to make them from say 304 SS.

John

ya, i was scratching my head on that comment too..... (but I kept my fingers back from keyboard)

Back