• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Static Run-up Information

joycub

FRIEND
Hoonah, AK & McCall, ID
I have been looking for information (chart?) about expected static run-up rpm for a lycoming 150 hp engine for different pitch props. Does such information exist? Specifically I am interested in the expectations with a McCauley 82 X 44 or a Sensinich 74 X 54. If there is not a chart or specific information it would be interesting to hear what static run-up rpm's others are getting? Thanks.:)

Joy,

I have no experience with anything other than Borers on my plane (160hp) but I can tell you that with my old prop, which is not eligible for rebuild because its already at minimum dimensions, I wanted to play with pitch so I had it bent to 8240 by a certified prop shop. It revved higher in flight than it did at 42 but here's the interesting part. The static RPM was so close to the same between 40 and 42 that I couldn't recognize a difference on my panel tach. I then installed a brand new 8242 and the static was right there again (about 2450 indicated as I recall). It definitely flies better, that is it performs better in all phases of flight than the old prop, but the static RPM was so close I couldn't distinguish any difference. I was surprised. For what THAT's worth!

Last edited:
Interesting Sierra Bravo. Thanks for sharing that information. I am still thinking there must be some official information on what the static run up should be, but appreciate hearing about yours and that is useful information for me.

The static rpm's are givin in the TCD's for each particular engine and prop combination. However they don't spell out pitch, just an rpm range. You can run whatever pitch you want as long as he rpm stays within limits.

John

Thanks so much for the information, this is just what I was looking to find.

Borer had a static run-up RPM sheet with his STC....all you have to do is fall into the range listed with your pitch

Nanook,

Wow, there it is, never thought of looking back at the old STC sheets. :oops::oops::oops: Now, I have info for both props. Thanks fellow cub lovers.:):):)

Joy

Back