Thread: Zenair floats for experimental supercub

Post Thanks / Like

Zenair floats for experimental supercub

Has anyone out there had any experinence with using Zenair floats on a exp supercub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Buggs66 is building a set.

supercubproject.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take a look at the Montana floats. They perform really well, and are available in kit form.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I will but they probably cost a lot more than the Zenairs

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with MTV. I have a friend who built a set of Montana amphibs that we put on a Super Cub. The performance was exceptional. Both on/off the water and in flight. I have flown the Montanas, the Wip 2100s and the EDO 339-JHS amphibs on PA-18s and the Montana amphibs were the best of the three with the EDOs second.

I have another friend with a set of Montanas on his Glastar. They work very well in his application.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the extreame delay, don!t use this thing often. Ouestion would you build a set again? Also I am 74 don!t know if I have enough time left?

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend was your age or older when he built his Montana's. They are also available already built.

Take a look here: http://www.montanafloat.com/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sky,

I have an email in to Keith at Montana Floats but they do not offer anything lighter than 2200lbs at least on their web site which is a lot bigger than I need for my LSA. At this point, one of the things I am seeking is just a generic idea on where and what to weld up for float fittings. I tried to get info from Zenith but they want me to buy their rigging package at $1900 to get the directions for float fittings. Do you know of any source for this info?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a sample of a weld on fitting from A/C Spruce. Looking at the bottom. The three holes at the pointed tabs are for rossette welds. The other hole is for the cross wire attachment.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ldon_float.php

This: http://www.fadodge.com/index.php?opt...lage&Itemid=53 is another example from Atlee Dodge.

Both of these fittings are for the rear struts and are mounted at a tubing cluster so that the loads can be distributed throughout the fuselage. The front and diagonal struts attach to the main landing gear fitting. These are for steel tube fuselages, such as yours with a tail wheel. Tricycle gear would be different.

As you can see, they are simple to make. Basically you could copy your main gear fitting, placing it at the nearest cluster to the back of your door. The rear float strut will be vertical or nearly so. The diagonal and front struts will form a triangle meeting at the main gear fitting with the base of the triangle being the top of the float and originating at the front and rear spreader bar locations.

You can likely build the fittings from scrap flat steel. The block which attaches the strut to the fitting is just a chunk of aluminum. This is just a simplified explanation. You will need to be sure that all the parts fit together easily without twisting struts and hammering in bolts.

Remember that most all of the loads on the rear fitting are in compression. The primary purpose of the fuselage fitting is to keep the top end of the rear strut in place, aligned with the tubing cluster. The fuselage tubing takes the landing loads. The rear fitting on a Citabria is only a block of aluminum which is held to the longeron with two stainless steel straps and two 1/4" bolts.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 08-31-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne O'Shea should chime in here. I believe Montana's are essentially Murphy floats, upgraded with beefier landing gear and lengthened, with Murphy supplying the components. Having built a set of Murphy 1800 amphibs, I can tell you, it's a big damn job, but not so bad that I wouldn't do it again. I think around 13,000 rivets. Murphy used to have 1500 amphibs, but not sure if they are still available. Saw some Baumann 1500 amphibs at Oshkosh, and they looked nice. Wayne O'Shea has built or flown almost every flavour of float, so hopefully he'll speak on this.
    When someone says "watch this", call 911.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Sky!! Now I understand the theory and where for the rear fitting. I can make a set out of 0.100" CM and attach as you described. I need to look at some float equipped SC and see how they run the rudder cables and get that included also.

Glidestone,

Murphy still lists their 1500 amphibs and I'll watch for Mr. O'Shea's response. Plan is to build them after I get the plane in the air for a bit...maybe next Winter.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on now Brent... don't be swellin my head ! Yes Montana's first float was a modified Murphy 1800 built deeper and with better gear systems. A bit more beef as well. Keith Kinden has moved on a long way since those first few years with his latest offerings.

Another option Lowrider... CLAMAR is now making an LSA amphib float rated at 1400 lbs.

As for getting some Murphy 1500's.. and really Lowrider should have started a new thread as this is about Zenairs on a full scale experimental SCub at 2000lb or more... are you looking for amphibs or straight floats? There are a few sets of 1500 straights floating around (no pun intended) that the guys are generally looking to trade up to some 1800 straights or amphibs as they have found their Rebel weighs a little more than they thought! Murphy 1500 amphibs are probably as rare as hens teeth and I don't see you getting a set from the factory in any reasonable time period... but you can always ask them. This is what I did to the last set of 1500 amphibs I found..... made them into 1800's!
    DCP02458.JPGDCP02939.JPGDCP02587.JPGDCP03181.JPG
    Last edited by irishfield; 08-31-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Irish!! I had forgotten about Clamar. Looks like you did a fine stretch job too.

I'm interested in amphibs because I really don't have good place to go from wheels to straight floats even thought I will probably switch back to wheels in the Fall when the water starts to get hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you on a short budget, if you can locate a set of EDO 1650s you can change them into 2000s or even 2130s using this same method.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    No personal experience with the Clamar but I did look them over good at Oshkosh. They look very nicely built and do appear to be stout with nice retract gear. Price was a shocker but then any amphib is going to set you back around $30K or more even for these LSA birds. As with a recent conversation I had with a guy that works on these things...."why sell these little floats for a small profit margin when we can build a bigger float (for Caravan's etc.) that give us a huge profit margin. Those are the guys with money and there is not a lot more work involved making the larger float vs. the small one's. Its all about the profit margin" end quote.
    I have noticed the market for a small amphib float has increased considerably since many older pilots are going the LSA route and a lot of these guys have MONEY and lots of it!
    The one's I am aware of are the soon to be released Wip's, Clamar, and Meade. Not sure if Tuff Float will be making an amphib but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! So much for Clamar...no wonder they don't have a price on their web site. Budget may push me back to Zenith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if Clamar's are out of your budget range... you won't be hiring me to build you a set either! I put about 480 billable hours into every set of Murphy 1800's that I build and about 80 more hours for the initial strut fabrication, float install (including pump/reservoir/selector and lines) and gear cycling. If someone can build them any faster than that (and keep them straight and leak free) then give me their name and I'll start reselling their work instead of busting my body up drilling and riveting over 13,000 holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think tuff will do it for you. i have a set they are well built and TUFF! but a little heavier then you will get with the clamar's. I think you would be the first to get a set of tuff amphibs so it might be a slower process while things get figured out while Clamar has lot's of experience with amphibians and has been improving his system over the years. i don't think you will be disappointed with either product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Irish,

I'm just a poor old retired soul having to sell body parts to build an airplane...well...not quite but I am on budget which is why I wanted to build Zenith's myself.

Your work looks very nice and that quality of work should be appropriately priced...what's a kidney worth anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine.. probably nothing after all the ico-cyanite fumes and acetone absorption that this body has taken!

Post Thanks / Like
    irish, wouldn't that make lowrider's kidney fairly valuable to you !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine have had more than a few bad things run thru it so it's probably only worth a spreader bar or some rudder cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Glenn! Those fittings are very nice looking and much more precise than I can make by hand.

I've commissioned #2 son to make Atlee like fittings based upon the ones Bugs66 used for the rear cluster and thanks to a very generous fellow in Dillingham I have drawing coming for cable fittings as well. I may be in pretty good shape now for generic float fittings for the time being....thanks guys!!