• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub value

Super11XP

Hot Springs, SD
I have a friend who pilot friend who passed away recently and left behind a 1954 150 PA-18. His family is trying to get his estate settled and are wondering what the best route is for selling the plane.
It has a very low time 160 hp 0-320 (100 hrs or less I think) but hasn't been flown in over 5 years.
It is fairly stock except for 3" extended gear. It has the original cotton fabric on the wings but the fuselage and tailfeathers have been recovered with ceconite a long time age. I'm pretty sure the fabric would fail a punch test. It hasn't been annualed in at least 5 or 6 years, maybe more.
It has been hangered all its life and I believe he bought it new from Piper. Basicly, it needs rebuilt, but I doubt that there is much wrong with the fuselage or wings other than needing recovered.
What is this plane worth as is???

What seems a "not much to do other than recover" can be a bear...

I would suggest that they have a REPUTABLE cub guy give it a look to determine... I would bet that the "flying Bill" Tracy crosses that country often, then there are the Dakota Cub guys in SD...

Get someone to really look at it. If it can be ferried it is worth way WAY more than if it needs taken apart. And hangered is good, but does it have birds nested in it, and a badger den in the tail???

You see the idea there, right...

Yes I get the idea on "just needs recovered." There is always the possibility with a cub this old it's going to need a lot more than recovering. It's just my guess that that's not going to be the case as this plane was taken care of very well. However a prospective buyer doesn't know this and isn't going to take any chances.
My personal opinon is that the best thing to do is have it rebuilt and then sold. I'm guessing that they might be doing good to get 35-40k out of it as is, especially because I don't think they will be able to get a ferry permit on account of the cotton on the wings.
Does this sound about right to the "experts"???

From your description it is a project. I would be reluctant to even ferry it. You stated it has older cotton fabric on the wings. This fabric may very well come off in flight and if it does you will die. The cotton on the wings will be the critical factor. But consider the engine as well. If it were disassembled, as is, many of the internals may be salvageable with just a little honing and polish. But if you run that engine with all the rust in it, that rust will literally become the grinding compound that destroys all moving parts therein. Although there is always the desire to extract the maximum income from assets, especially in an estate sale for the benefit of the widow, you may want to consider the possible price the buyer may ultimately pay. Take it apart and sell it as a project. Just my opinion without all the facts.

Bill

If it is as you say I bet it will bring $40K plus. It is worth more right now because it is a complete airplane. I have seen cotton in recent years pass the punch test or be ferry-able. A one owner Super Cub could be a really good project for someone if it was recovered and taken care of well in the past. A true rebuild, not a simple recover will put you upside down if the family is looking for the most return in my opinion and if done by someone who charges for their time and does nice work.

consider a flying cub can be had for 55k (couple sold last year) for a rough bush one with higher time engine...

Bill, you make GREAT points.

But if it is in SD and sat for five years, I can not imagine corrosion issues. Bottom line would be safe is better though!

It would definitely be better to pop off the wings and load on a trailer. You would have to do a major inspection and probably some repairs to brakes etc. if it was deemed ferry-able only to be taken apart upon arrival.

... especially because I don't think they will be able to get a ferry permit on account of the cotton on the wings.

ferry permit is based on the signing mechanics willingness..... as far as FAA is concerned, you call and say its out of annual, period...

as long as rib stitching is still good it is probably fine to ferry... and as steve said, I've heard of way old cotton being fine still...

We still have a Pacer around here that has the cotton on it that Piper installed on it in 1951. And the plane would still be flying if the 93 year young driver hadn't died of natural causes 3 years ago. He bought it in 51 and it only sat outside for 1 night it's whole life. I flew in it 13 years ago and it looked better then some that had 10 year old cover on them. Not saying that all cotton will last but this Pacer was babied it's whole life along with the other 4 planes he maintained. The guy owned over 100 planes in his lifetime but the Pacer was his baby.

Glenn

Last edited:
I know of a friend that is looking for a project also. PM me with your contact info and I will forward it to him. I am currently online with a Samsung Galaxy tablet and don't see a way to PM you.
Keith

I would put it on ebay or barnstormers. Lets get the bidding started.
I will be down there tue with a cashiers check for 35k, as is where is.

Thanks everyone for all the input, it was all pretty much in line with what I was thinking. The family isn't in a huge hurry, they are just looking at options and different ideas. I was mistaken about it being a 54 model, it is in fact a 64 model. I will send pm's to those of you who requested more info.

Sorry I don't have any pics of it, and as some of you may remember, I seem to have trouble posting pics on this site. I can say that it is a very clean airplane.
I will have more info in the next few days.

Still easier yet. Open www.photobucket.com account, push the upload button, select photo from your putor, after it loads double click on photo and it will enlarge, copy IMG code in box on right side of page and paste on SC.org reply. Big photo, simple

006-7.jpg

Glenn

Back