• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine overhaul

cdub6

Great Falls,Mt.
I am overhauling my own O-320 A2B. This is for a certified Super Cub. Any recommendations on where to send the cases and steel parts? The acc. case needs the mod for the one piece cam and S.I.1341 mod for the new oil pump.

Case to Divco, all else to Aircraft Specialties Services. ASS can balance rods and crank, can inspect and replate anything else you want looked at, and can sell you everything you need to reassemble.

I have had good service with DIVCO, and can recommend Rick Romans in tulsa for crank, cam, rods etc.

Tulsa????

is that not near Jenks?

Does BigE not live near Jenks?

Ergo, beware letting him know you have stuff there, or it may come back hot pink with roses on it:Gsorry:

Just got finished having my 0-235 done. Complete major overhaul. Excellent work, highly recommended. Mena Aircraft Engines in Mena, Arkansas. Brand new 0-time engine when I got it back, everything in and on it was brand new. Give Robert Smith a call. You'll be glad you did.
www.menaaircraftengines.com

I am overhauling my own O-320 A2B. This is for a certified Super Cub. Any recommendations on where to send the cases and steel parts? The acc. case needs the mod for the one piece cam and S.I.1341 mod for the new oil pump.

I'm curious about your cylinder choice. No reason, just wondering. New cam or grind the current one? ASS has a Cam Doctor if that's important to you. Lycon does as well. Its pretty cool to see a graphic analysis of your cam. I got a new ASI cam from ASS when I built my B2B. Have you seen your cam yet? I'm always interested in hearing condition reports for Lycoming cams at tear-down.

Last edited:
Have you talked to Aerosport Power in Kamploops BC? You can reach them at 1 250-376-2955. They build a smooth motor - the work done on my really smoothed it out while it was apart for insurance.

I used Rick Romans for all steel, Gibson for cylinders. Good prices, good service. Both are in Trade-A-Plane.

Sierra Bravo, yes, it came with zero time log books, but I didn't have to surrender the old ones. Call Robert Smith, he can clarify it for you.

No need. I'm not into overhaul shops doing what I'd rather do myself. Not that there's anything wrong with a good overhaul shop. BTW, an overhaul shop can't zero time an engine. They can overhaul it to new limits, incorporate new parts, and do great work, but the aggregate time history of that motor carries forward in the TT no matter what. Zero SMOH does not make it zero TT. Only Lycoming and TCM can provide you an engine with zero TT.

sierra bravo, yeah, I know that. I was misunderstood. Even though Mena gave me a new zero time logbook, etc., the engine was zero time SMOH, not zero time TT. I think he gives out new 0-SHOH logbooks with every major overhaul. I'm glad he did, because the one I had was getting old and dilapidated. I just carried the TT forward in the new logbook, but started the SMOH time over in the new logbook.

but the only componet of the engine with "time on it" are the case halves. everything else is new right?;-)

Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward using these shops, Just wanted some other peoples input. I have it torn down now, camshaft and followers are bad,typical of Lyc. that was not flown enough. Will go with new one piece cam.The rest looks to be good. I will know after I send out parts for inspection. Plan is to go with new Lyc. cylinders. Someone suggested having the Ney nozzles done to the cases. Any pros or cons to this ? I feel that the nozzles would have a small orifice and be prone to plugging , so the benefit of it would not be long lasting. Better off with camguard ?

No knowledge of Ney nozzles. I use Camguard in every oil change in both planes. Tests say it helps. I say it can't hurt. My B2B has nickel Titans and they've been good except the one run then toss them AD. Just like the one run then toss them AD on the Millenniums on the other plane. Cylinders are a problem. If not today, just wait. Think about getting the crank and rods balanced. Some guys do it, some don't. I did and I'm pleased. Another thing to consider is a Hot Rod muffler. My engine was a sweetie before but the muffler change has improved the engine performance and reduced CHT by 40*. Happy happy. Have fun with the project.

Edit: I googled Ney nozzles. It looks like they're primarily intended for the engines known to scuff the cam. My cam concern has to do with sitting, not running. Nozzles can't solve corrosion problems.

Last edited:
I have it torn down now, camshaft and followers are bad,typical of Lyc. that was not flown enough. Will go with new one piece cam.

When I bought my cub it had flown 135 hours in the preceding 9 years, lost the cam inside 25 hours. When we tore it down and replaced the cam along with accessory drive gears, new bearings etc. We went back together with and STC'd cam that has pressure lube orifices bored into the journals. Seems to be working well, but then again, it doesn't sit allot, 350 hours in the last two years since we tore it down. If you are interested I can get you the cam info, it was recommended to me by Bob out at B&J in Plamer.

Dale

Stewart

I think the pressure lubing ensures that there is adequate oil to the cam. I utilize CAM Guard as well. I think the ultimate solution rests with either flying your plane or running pickling oil and storing your plane correctly. That is just my opinion, as they say "your mileage may vary". I will let you know how my "mileage" turns out. In my experience though, I will say that getting more oil under pressure to the top end of the engine sure doesn't hurt.

I just wondered. I haven't seen Cub cams that showed stress from lack of oil, just corrosion from the presence of water. But I only see what I go looking for.

Aircraft Specialities is amayzing but if you want to take precision up give Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines a call (right next door to Specialities, here in Tulsa) They did my new Lycoming cylinders assemblies with balance and valve magic... And I could not be happier and work with Specialities all the time when necessary.

I installed balanced rods and pistons from barrett's in o-320, smoothest 4 cylinder I have built / flown.

Back