• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firewall material?

dlwoolsey

668 8th avenue Salt Lake City, Ut.
I have tried the search and can't find any information on what to use for firewall material. Don't need anything exotic just the normal stock material and gage. This is an experimental so I can use what is best. Thanks for your help. Duane Woolsey

Use stainless steel, aluminum melts too easy. It IS a FIREwall. Some are using titanium to save weight. Bigger $$$.

Reference #12365 print for your dimensions if Lycoming model.

Buy 3'x3' of
301 SS 1/2 Hard36.0162.01603-3120003-31200

from www.aircraftspruce.com

36" width, order 3' of it. .016 thick, 2.106#'s per lineal foot, part number 03-31200, should be $49 for stock that I just plugged in.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I have just finished stripping the paint off of the one that I have and may use it again but at least now I know what to use if I do replace.

Firewalls

You can also use 304 stainless, also available from Aircraft Spruce. The 304 is a bit softer and easier to work with than 301 1/2H.

As for titanium you should look for a piece of .016 comm'l pure titanium for a first choice. 6AL-4V also works but it is much harder to work with. TitaniumJoe.com has scrap titanium for sale. A piece big enough for a firewall should run about $200. For those who don't want to do any fabrication F. Atlee Dodge makes a titanium firewall that is a direct replacement for a PA-18 firewall, but it costs quite a bit more than $200. A titanium firewall will save you about 2 pounds compared to stainless steel.

Dave Prizio

Is .016 the correct gauge? It seems awfully light...? Do the after market SS and Ti Firewalls have the vertical beads in them?

Is .016 the correct gauge? It seems awfully light...? Do the after market SS and Ti Firewalls have the vertical beads in them?

That is what thickness is needed for proper fire rating. The titanium firewalls I have seen do not have the beads.

I have the ability to roll beads in the new firewall material identical to orig. It is worth doing?

I have not tried beading the 6al-4v Ti yet. It is very tough and requires a large bend radius for bending (10t I believe) so I would like to hear how you make out if you give it a try.

I have not tried beading the 6al-4v Ti yet. It is very tough and requires a large bend radius for bending (10t I believe) so I would like to hear how you make out if you give it a try.

I will be using the Stainless if I do.

I tried to do beads on titanium leftover. I didn't work for me. The titanium cracked.

But tinanium .016'' 6al-4v firewall was pretty easy to work with. Drilled and cut with regular tools.

Back