Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Data tag

Post Thanks / Like

Data tag

Is there a FAR that states that the data tag has to be stamped and anchored to the airframe or can it be a decal?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's something about fire resistance as I recall so a sticker wouldn't cut it (and it has to be tamper-resistant and a permanent installation). But that is what I remember and not verbatim per the FARs. I am sure Steve Pierce or Mike S will chime in with more detailed info before I can dig it up but from my understanding--which is probably worth as much as you paid for it--no, a sticker will not suffice.

--Amy
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is self adhesive engraved metal stuck on fabric, custom ordered from ACS. DAR didn't complain? It's REALLY stuck. Had to change it and it wanted to tear the dope off. Would be hard to do it a different way on fabric?
    Last edited by n40ff; 03-06-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would be hard to do it a different way on fabric?
    I glued a thin aluminum plate onto the inside of the fabric, then fastened the data plate to that, through the fabric, with PK screws. Kinda like fairing grommets.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking about the external data, or the factory data tag? I believe the external data can be put on the fabric with a Sharpie - all it needs to be is legible.

Opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 Geezer View Post
    I glued a thin aluminum plate onto the inside of the fabric, then fastened the data plate to that, through the fabric, with PK screws. Kinda like fairing grommets.
    I thought about that but it is "harder" and after finding how good the adhesive was, unnecessary too......

My opinion also agrees with Bob's.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two data tags, the manufacturers data tag and the DEA exterior data tag. Search data tag here and you will find lots of good info.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    on a metal plane, I see lots of vinyl letters for them, or painted on or sharpie.... but on fabric it must be on a metal plate....

Post Thanks / Like
    FAR45.11(a) will get you what you want. On fabric planes, I've been painting them on an inspection cover, but it doesn't sound like that's totally legal either... as if any of that's going to matter if it burns... (besides, have you tried to burn Polyfiber or Stewart's?) I've also found very few that had the TC# as well as the other numbers required by 45.13 (a) 1-5... guess I better sharpen up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There are two data tags, the manufacturers data tag and the DEA exterior data tag. Search data tag here and you will find lots of good info.
    "I searched the site over and thought I'd find an answer..."

Sorry Steve, no joy... I put "DEA Exterior data tag", "DEA tag" and "data tag" in the little search box at the top of this thread and all I really found applicable was this thread and I know they have been talked about more than this... must be a n Okie search governor in this site.

So tell me about a DEA tag?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    45.11 - Marking of products.

(a) Aircraft. A manufacturer of aircraft covered under 21.182 of this chapter must mark each aircraft by
    attaching a fireproof identification plate that?

(1) Includes the information specified in 45.13 using an approved method of fireproof marking;

(2) Must be secured in such a manner that it will not likely be defaced or removed during normal service, or lost or destroyed in an accident; and

(3) Except as provided in paragraphs (d) through (h) of this section, must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces.

I don't know, it would seem to me that a seperate plate must be attached. Simply writing with a sharpie would not seem to meet the exact wording above?

The above data plate was required at the request of the DEA in the 1980's and as such is refered to as the "DEA data plate"
    Last edited by n40ff; 03-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    "I searched the site over and thought I'd find an answer..."

Sorry Steve, no joy... I put "DEA Exterior data tag", "DEA tag" and "data tag" in the little search box at the top of this thread and all I really found applicable was this thread and I know they have been talked about more than this... must be a n Okie search governor in this site.

So tell me about a DEA tag?
    Google "FAA DEA data plate"

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the Super Cub covered under part 21?

Check out section 45.11. It appears to allow us to simply use a Sharpie, so long as the fireproof permanent tag is accessible at or near an entrance in the interior.
    Last edited by bob turner; 03-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This kinda relates to this. Does anyone remember the data plates you used to get from AAA. It had the logo with the flyer and the mountains. I talked to Dee and I know you can't get them anymore, but what I was wondering is does anyone know where I might be able to get something similar. Maybe something of my own design. If I remember it was anodized and etched. it looked really nice
    Thanks
    ........Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Cubs are included in part 21.182.
    No metal plate is required on fabric planes.
    Part 45.11, (e)...Built before March 7, 1988...
    The model designation and builders serial number must be....
    1. Legible on the ground.
    2. Located aft of the rear most entrance door or on the fuselage near the tail surfaces.
    3. ...not likely to be defaced or removed during normal service.
    That's it. Pretty simple. Contrasting color Sharpie under the right horizontal elevator should be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting the data plate under the tail so one has to crawl under to read it is acceptable.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't take you long to figure that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    45.11 (a) (3)"..........legible to a person on the ground...."..... interpreted literally, it appears to be compulsory to place it under the tail...............

Post Thanks / Like
    From EAA on this subject:

An "Aircraft Identification Data Plate" is the plate that the FAA and US Drug Enforcement Agency mandated back in the mid 1980s that duplicates some of an aircraft’s data plate information on the outside of the aircraft, allowing DEA agents to quickly identify aircraft. Is this additional data plate still required and can you cite the regulation requiring it?

Answer
    Yes, the external identification plate is still required. This is called out in 14 CFR 45.11(d), which states in pertinent part:

"The model designation and builder's serial number must be legible to a person on the ground and must be located either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage near the tail surfaces. The model designation and builder's serial number must be displayed in such a manner that they are not likely to be defaced or removed during normal service."

This regulation applies to those aircraft manufactured before 7 March, 1988 that do not have their manufacturer data plate on the exterior of the aircraft.

Note that this external identification is not required to be on a fireproof plate. (The manufacturer data plate takes care of that requirement.) It only needs to be legible to a person on the ground and must be located as specified. Also, this identification should not be on an access door or cover, or anywhere where it would be removed or defaced during normal service. This external ID can be painted on, put on with a decal, or in any manner that is legible.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the data plate on a Super Cub today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3607.JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	390.7 KB 
ID:	12467
    You can see it when you crawl under the tail. It is next to the tail strobe/nav light wires coming out of the inspection plate.

Name:	DSCF3609.JPG 
Views:	396 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	12468
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Also, this identification should not be on an access door or cover, or anywhere where it would be removed or defaced during normal service..
    I installed the data plate on a Super Cub today.

You can see it when you crawl under the tail. It is next to the tail strobe/nav light wires coming out of the inspection plate.

Name:	DSCF3609.JPG 
Views:	396 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	12468
    Steve, Is that plate removable?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, no. They would have to cut the plug off of the tail strobe wiring harness to remove it.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I buy one of these data plates?