• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Foreflight Pro 4.4 vs WingX Pro7

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
At the Montana Aviation conference last weekend a gentleman presented a seminar on "flying with the iPad", demonstrating WingX Pro 7. Amongst the things he demonstrated was the ability to split the screen with the WingX program, and the ability to connect with bluetooth to a device with which you can determine the attitude of the aircraft (not sure how useful that will be in the supercub) or weather and traffic detection (useful, I think). He barely mentioned the Foreflight program, admitting that he is receiving benefits from the developer of WingX.

With this in mind, my subscription to Foreflight expires today and I am wondering if any of you use either of these programs? I welcome your comments.

Randy

I like ForeFlight better, however, I have Internet access ( not cubs) and I use it for weather and enroute charts.
Dave

The survey of users I saw put Foreflight out front 3 to 1. I use Foreflight and like it so far. I have taken all my paper (except Airworthiness Cert and Registration and placed them in Ifiles on my IPad. Different folders for the cub and 185 and subfolders for manuals, and then W/B and equipment list. I also have common folders for airspace info such as Denali park procedures and maps and Anchorage airspace maps and procedures. So, between Foreflight having the current charts and the other "paperwork" all being on the IPad, I don't have to carry around all that generally useless paper.

I talked to the local FISDO office last week about this and they had no issues with docs being on an IPad.

Foreflight just released an update that incorporates document support into the app itself eliminating the need for iBooks or whatever. I've used Forflight since its rollout and like it very much.

Yes Clay FF does allow you to import documents, but you cannot manage them in folders, they are just a bunch of docs. If you fly several aircraft or wish to have more detailed info folders are nice. Information is quicker to find in folders.

Be sure to give them that feedback. They are very good about improving their product off of customer input.

N5126H--

Under the documents tab of FF top center there is a drop down box titled "my documents" and after u select the drop down box hit the + key to create new binders and title them as u like--the key is to download the docs within that binder as u can't move them from binder to binder after u have downloaded them(I couldn't). u can also rename the default name of "my documents".

That should solve your problem

WingX includes sectional charts, approach plates, high and low instrument charts, FARs. It displays the aircraft on the chart. It works in the lower 48 and Alaska (I don't know about Hawaii). It doesn't work in Canada.

I currently have both. I prefer FF for flight planning but for anything else, I prefer Wing X. When time come to renew FF later this year, I will probably drop it because I am using the AOPA flight planner almost exclusively now. FF is only when I don't have net access.

I have a Dynon Skyview system in the panel, so I don't use the iPad in flight except for looking up data such as an unplanned stop or unplanned fuel, etc.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ycxm3

49#

What I like about using Ifiles is being able to have folder(s)/subfolders/ and sub sub folders and being able to color code the different subjects. It does however require you to open or have open a new program. In addition I also have W/B info on a excel spreadsheet App called “Numbers” that I can just plug the info in and do the math and envelope automatically (not that I hardly ever use that as I normally do not leave until the airplane cannot hold anymore stuff). When the plane is full it is time to leave.

I see that Sporty's came out with a Datalink Weather wireless receiver for the foreflight app. called "Stratus". The cost is one time $799. It combines ADS-B and GPS that stream nexrad radar, text weather, TRFs and aircraft position to the Ipad. Should eliminate the Bad Elf plus get weather which now is only available when I am in range of a telephone tower.
Question: How will the reception be in Canada and Alaska?? Will any weather be available??

If you look at the coverage map, the SD and west is pretty spotty coverage. I understand that it does not have traffic either. I'm anxious to see reports on it, but here in ID, it looks like it might not be quite "there" yet. (Stratus)

Jmkota,
I found the coverage map you referred to and see what you mean by lack of coverage in the central part of the country. There is some coverage of AK however.
Not much help in the area I fly in so will take the wait and see approach also.

Interested in how any of you are mounting the ipad in the cockpit. I can't seem to find room with out it getting in the way of instruments I need to check occasionally. Have tried a suction window mount but then it is to close to me. I think the only solution is a kneepad system.

The problem with having the IPad on your knee is from accidentally touching it with your hand and moving or changing the screen. If you put it on your right knee it is where you constantly rest your arm while holding the stick. If you move it to the left it is a little better but not much. Since i am not left handed my coordination with touching where i want to is not as accurate.

Old thread rejuvenation here. I've been a Foreflight user for a number of years and just got a copy (free to CFI's copy ) of WingX. I spent about an our learning all about the interface and there are some really well thought out things about this program. I like the split screen, and the very flexible configuration of what is on the display, including terrain overlay on the sectional, etc. My ultimate goal is to be able to ditch the ipad and run it on android. I have not tested it on that platform yet but have been told it is not quite ready for prime time there. Android would give me a lot more size flexibility options, and of course are cheaper.

If you are shopping for a flight app, I would definitely give WingX a look. You can "watch" all about it on their youtube channel also.

Will use it on a trip next weekend and will report in how that goes.

sj

Foreflight is due to release Foreflight 8 soon. I will decide after I see the changes. Maps are supposed to be better. Not scanned sectionals.

Be sure to evaluate the Android version of Wing-X before you make the decision to chuck Foreflight and go that route. A guy I know who tried that was very disappointed at the "feature gap" between the Android version and the iOS version.

Choosing between Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, Wing-X, and FlyQ EFB is definitely a "first world" problem... Even 10 or 15 years ago, most of us would have sold our mother-in-law to have any one of these EFBs! All good products, just different user interfaces and feature sets that differentiate them.

I have heard about the feature gap. I still have an ipad to use, so am using Wingx on that for now.

Excellent point though, these are all huge advancements over paper charts and E6B's

sj

I am excited to see what your thoughts are after using it. I like my android, and the only time I wish I had an iPhone is when wanting to use foreflight.

I need to check out the wingx .

My Status 2S seems to work pretty good throughout AK although I have not been north on Nome yet. If there is an ADS-B out aircraft in view (typically a high altitude jet) you get all of the ADS B info from their out signal. Really handy, but not guaranteed. I was half way from Bethel to Illiamna low level in marginal weather, and got ADSB weather and radar info fairly often from ADS Out bounce. Nice!

Running Foreflight Pro on iPad. Stratus also allows attitude display to have synthetic vision too! That is way cool. Very much worth $800 to me. I fly with iPad on left knee, no kneeboard. Seems to be just fine. I stow for takeoff & landing.

How do you charge your Stratus? I have mine hooked to the cigarette plug in, using the plug they call for in their literature, but it will not keep it charged. I have my phone charging out of the same plug also and it does keep it charged. Anyone having this same problem.
The plug may not put out enough Amperage?? How can I check it?

It is the 2.1 amp double port. The iPhone is plugged in one side and Stratus in the other. It used to work that way but now it will not charge the Stratus?
I read that the cords go bad so I replaced the stratus charge cord with the same results. Now I have purchased another 2.1 amp plug. When I get to the hangar I will give that a try? It is the same plug that I am using now but if I keep replacing parts eventually I should find the problem:roll:
To charge it now I take the Stratus out after each flight and plug it into the wall unit.

Back