• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub '95' Weight.

MainlandCub

New Zealand
I wonder if owners of "PA-18-95" Super Cubs wouldn't mind chiming in with their empty weights.

All the ones I've had anything to do with here in New Zealand have been in the high 900's and even over 1000 lb, which just seems to be a bit much. Do they really need to be that heavy?

If responding perhaps people could note what the plane has in the way of equipment and extras (e.g. 1 or 2 tanks and what size, what wheels and tyres, electrical/non-electrical etc.). And if handy the c of g position.......

Thanks,
Andrew.

I weighed this one at 1005 lbs. C90-12, Sensenich prop, skull cap spinner, Marvel Stromberg carburetor, F&M oil filter adapter, B&C starter, generator, Garmin 300 GPS/Com and transponder, intercom, two wing tanks, Atlee HD header tank up front, Cleveland wheels and brakes, 31" AK Bushwheels, safety cables, no step, dope finish on Ceconite, metal headliner, Baby Bushwheel, underseat battery.

I have another W&B at the hanger I will post when I have time.

Had a 49 here with 2 tanks and 800X4 tires and a -8 engine, weighed 850. Took the same plane and put Clevelands on it, gen, starter, battery, radio and -12 engine weighed around 925. Another one here a 57 with elec and flaps, upper baggage wieghs 1024.

57, -12 weighed 904 on 8:00x4 tires and 920-something on Edo 1400s, it has both tanks. It now has flaps, B&C Starter and Alternator, Lightweight battery moved to under front seat, 3" extended gear, "Steves" Master cylinders and Gascolator Clevelands and Scott 3200. I'll weight it when I get it bolted together.

Dave

My experimental 18-95 weighs 920 lbs. C90-12, under seat battery, Skytech starter, standard generator, Flightline radio, electric T&B, ELT, McCauley metal prop, 26 inch Goodyears, 3" extended gear, cleveland brakes, safety cables, dual tanks, aluminum floor, Stewarts system covering. Empty CG 14.3

Serial # 203 with o-200, 75" prop, B&C 8 amp alternator, B&C starter, full super cub full system, 26" Goodyear tires, under the seat battery, Atlee standard gear, single puck brakes. Atlee extended baggage, nav and wing landing lights, 720 channel radio at 965 pounds. Now in rebuild and should fly this spring as a full blown Super Cub.

Mine left the factory in 1953, C-90-8F, 1 wing tank, wood prop, no electric, small Scott tailwheel, 779 lbs. Now I have metal prop, 800X6 double puck Clevelands, wheel pants, Scott 3200 tailwheel, Ebc ELT, Narco com 810, DC intercom, motorcycle battery for power, full Airtex interior with carpet, 850 lbs

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. It has given me an insight I didn't have before.

Thanks,
Andrew.

PA-18-95

Ours was 778lb when built in 1951 that was with a -8 C90 and a wooden prop, and a tailwheel with wooden bearings, I think it would have just had the left hand fuel tank as well.

Today with -12 engine, metal prop, radio/xponder,PM1200 Intercomm, 22 lb of lead acid battery and twin fuel tanks, Scott 3200 t/w, Cleveland discs, and Goodyear 8.00 - 6 tyres at 10.9lb each she weighs in at a strapping 1012lb

Happy new year from UK!

UKCN

Forgot to add the CofG is 15.79 aft of datum

I think the big hitters are the -12 engine the battery & metal prop oh and the extra tank, whilst it's nice to have the fuel carrying capacity is it really necessary to have the best part of a 6 hr endurance with a frugal C90 up front?

UKCN

Forgot to add the CofG is 15.79 aft of datum

I think the big hitters are the -12 engine the battery & metal prop oh and the extra tank, whilst it's nice to have the fuel carrying capacity is it really necessary to have the best part of a 6 hr endurance with a frugal C90 up front?

UKCN

You need all that fuel to keep up with those Austers ?

Glenn

Andrew, theres a thread here somewhere of a guy with a 90 in northwest south dakota that has a real light one. Dang if i can find it. He was wondering about longer chord ailerons anf flaps. doug

My ears were burnin doug, now I know why! My cub weighs 780 with fuel reserves. no electric in my plane

I found your thread. Did you ever start another project or come up with some wing ideas? I keep looking at the picture of yours and there isnt much else you could take off. I think, i said think, J Burrs is even a little heavier than yours? Is your frame a 11 or 18? doug

I haven't started working on another project for myself but i've got lots of ideas!!! There isn't much else to take off of my airplane. That said, its cold, noisy and drafty, but man is it fun to fly!! I'm still young and dumb but someday I'll probably want some nice things like a starter ect... My hopes are to make it to johnson creek this year and see how well it does at altitude. Hopefully I'm light enough to perform ok. I've been told that Jerry Burrs cub weighs 804 for competition. That would be pretty close to mine for empty wt

You need all that fuel to keep up with those Austers ?

Glenn

Actually Glenn the Auster is pretty endurance challenged, though things are improved somewhat with the belly tank. Often you're not sure how much is left in it as no gauge so you end up carrying spare fuel around..... As for keeping up with Austers, not a chance, a 90 Cub is well behind............

Andrew.

I find it interesting that nobody reporting on the weight of their cubs in this thread has noted whether the weight they noted is based on calculated or actual weight on certified scales.

Its worthy of note that “some” calculated weights are more like fairy tales.

MTV

The 95 Super Cub was the serious wolf hunters choice in Alaska. And a factory "non elec" one, is in the 850lb class. The only mod they wanted on them was another 18gal tank in the right wing. That gives you an incredible range to hunt,All the daylight there is in the winter months with some to spare! The real reason was that in the deep snow conditions you were likely to encounter ( tailfeathers down into the snow with a tailski!) the little lightweight 18 was the superior skiplane when one compared it to a 150hp one that weighed 1150lbs vs the 850lb "95" Cub both sitting Ontop of the same sized skis..... In 2/3 ft of fluffy snow a J3/11/18 with a 90 will certainly show you that having a150hp/flaps will not compensate for the extra 300lbs; In 3ft of snow, again that is assuming both Cubs are on the same size skis. Ray Porter legendary trapper from Pattern, Me told me the first winter, he switched from his PA11, to his new 150/18; " I spent most of that winter shoveling and tramping down a runway wirh snowshoes, to get back in the air!"
Most of the old "wolfers" in Alaska all had vast experence
in 150 Cubs, but when it came to deep snow hunting with an airplane, it seamed like PA11's and especially PA18/95
were the wolfers choice, for their great endurance on fuel,
And superiority in deep, tough snow conditions.
When I first got out to Dillingham, Ak in the late 70s, one of the noted wolfers, was Jim Chaney, and he used a 95 Cub,
When I asked him why, he matter of factly replyed "well Earle, its the best skiplane ever built". He was responsible
for hundreds of wolves meeting their maker. And hundreds more that feared the sound of a 90hp Continental engine more than any other thing on this earth.

Last edited:
Wolf Hunting

Now that was as a cool write up! Thanks Turbo Beaver for taking the time to post that!

I find it interesting that nobody reporting on the weight of their cubs in this thread has noted whether the weight they noted is based on calculated or actual weight on certified scales.

Its worthy of note that “some” calculated weights are more like fairy tales.

MTV

I’ve never seen a calculated weight that was close to correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to look up mine again, and naturally my memory was mistaken. Mine was an experimental 18-95, using an -11 fuselage, -20 tail feathers, dakota wings, no flaps, one 24 gallon fuel tank, and no electric. Sat on 6" clevelands wrapped with 850's and standard gear. It was scaled at certification in 2008 at 866 lbs. So I'm sure it was 900 lbs after I installed 29's, a GTR-200 and a 7 lb wind generator.

pb

Who was it that resurrected all these old threads! This one didn't have a post in it since 2012, then all of a sudden it picked up again a couple of days ago. Doesn't anybody ever check the dates of threads before jumping in and posting? I know some forums have rules about resurrecting old threads. Guess there isn't such a thing here. :p

My unmolested 18C with greenhouse two tanks no electric metal prop is allegedly 902 lbs - would be interested in empty cg inches - I need to watch the rear CG limit when carrying any passenger above 170 lbs and 3/4 ⛽️ fuel

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Who was it that resurrected all these old threads! This one didn't have a post in it since 2012, then all of a sudden it picked up again a couple of days ago. Doesn't anybody ever check the dates of threads before jumping in and posting? I know some forums have rules about resurrecting old threads. Guess there isn't such a thing here. :p

There's no horse so dead that it can't stand another lick or two.

When I trapped with my PA-11 that was weighed on digital scales at 839lbs I ran Aero 2000 skis. One winter we had ALOT of snow and another fella was trapping quite a few of the same Beaver house's I had set up. He had a nice 150/18 on 2500 Airglass ski he had bought from Folsoms,
We were rarely ever there at the same time, but I often would taxi right beside the tracks he had left from his last
visit and even though he had bigger skis than I did, he was
Always sinking in considerably more than I was because of that extra weight. He had a borer prop. And in those days I ran a 75x38 on the 11. I have no idea how he was
loaded but his TO runs from his tracks were always, passed where we got off with the 11. Lots of things to consider about a skiplane, weight is a major factor. I tryed
3000 Aeros on my 160hp/12 years ago but it wasnt even close to the 11 in deep snow! If I was rigging up one today
I would find a non electric 95 and run a 78" Macatto on 2500s and "watch em weep". Lol.

Back