• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Federal Drawings and recognizing left from right ski

You don't want to use that 11A109 sleeve, it will bell out the inner side hole on the pedestal. Use a straight sleeve of steel inside the rubber bushing. Use one large area washer on each end. Your axle spacer that keeps your wheel bearings centered needs to be removed and one about 1/2 the length installed.

You don't want to use that 11A109 sleeve, it will bell out the inner side hole on the pedestal. Use a straight sleeve of steel inside the rubber bushing. Use one large area washer on each end. Your axle spacer that keeps your wheel bearings centered needs to be removed and one about 1/2 the length installed.
Do you know if Atlee Dodge is making a UHMW sleeve to replace the rubber sleeve?

A long time ago in a faraway place I saw someone use sized radiator hose as a replacement for the rubber tube.

Gary

I'm sure you could find what you needed at Alaska Rubber & Rigging...get the low temp
version ;-)

AERO skis do without the rubber bushing in a similar pedestal and tunnel. They offer (or used to) an aluminum insert bushing to change from 1.5 to 1.25" axles. A flying friend had A2000A federals with the cupped bottoms and rubber bushing on his Cub. The bushing would compress enough to allow the ski tip to toe in slightly under bungee or spring tension, and could be moved sideways by hand. I wondered why the rubber vs almost solid like my AERO 2000 or 3000's?

Any comments on the benefit of one design versus the other?

Gary

Aero went to some kind of plastic bushing. On the Federals you want the rubber to be longer than the steel inner sleeve, so when you tighten down the axle nut the rubber bushing swells a bit. The ski will still move a little (which isn't a bad thing) on the bushing but not much. The rubber absorbs quite a bit on the ground.

AERO changed the bushing material...ok...I got a set of aluminum sleeves in my Blazo box but will never use them now. Ok on the reasons for the Federal design. I assumed it was some sort of shock thing but the compression fit is a new one and makes sense.

On my Taylorcraft the AERO 2K's are metal to metal/1.5" Grove wheel tapered to straight axle adapter to pedestal plus I put anti-seize for lube (it's a Harley Davidson thing). Tighten them up until they hold position and throw in a cotter key. The lower gear legs at the axle have the Atlee-Piper gear reinforcement plates and don't twist like stock Piper gear did, plus the shock strut cross brace.

We got snow with cold coming to freeze ice so no more excuse for not flying skis this winter.

Gary

Back