• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ski Flying 101

Contrary to what some folks say, I've never found a down side to using a tail ski, and in many conditions, as you say, they make life a LOT easier.

MTV

DSCN2184.JPG

I agree, all benefits; turns tighter without blasts of power and it keeps the tail feathers out of the snow.

Attachments

• DSCN2184.JPG
    DSCN2184.JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 307
SuperCub works pretty good without one. No NEED to have one if you're just gonna try out skis....BUT, if you gonna be loaded and in deeip snow, you will get stuck less, turn better, and have shorter takeoffs with a tail ski. But lots of guys are out there without and don't think they need one.

It is not at all a necessity in snow like the picture above.

SuperCub works pretty good without one. No NEED to have one if you're just gonna try out skis....BUT, if you gonna be loaded and in deeip snow, you will get stuck less, turn better, and have shorter takeoffs with a tail ski. But lots of guys are out there without and don't think they need one.

Spinner, is that a rudder trim tab?:lol: Do those gap seals pooch out like that all the time?:lol: The duct tape style lay beautifully flat,,,,,and come in white if you like.:wink:

I agree but the deeper it gets the nicer it is. A poor snow year for us so far.

Spinner, is that a rudder trim tab?:lol:

Yes it is. I like a tab so I can tweak it as needed.

Do those gap seals pooch out like that all the time?:lol:

Yes they do at times. It came in a loose coil and there hasn't been any warm weather since installation. I think it will quit that once it gets hot.

The duct tape style lay beautifully flat,,,,,and come in white if you like.:wink:

I like the gap seals.

Bunny Boots are the only way to go for below zero flying or snowmobiling. Don Sheldon once told me he never took a climber off Denali with frozen feet in bunny boots. But with almost any other boots, he did. But be sure and test them in cold weather. If they get a leak in the rubber inside, they can get moisture in the layers and go bad.

Don Sheldon and Cliff Hudson out of Talkeetna operated with a lot of heavy loads and deep snow without tail skis. That's good enough for me. They used the blast and turn method, and were really good at it.

A little late to this thread, but since it's been "re-warmed" and we are currently sliding into another ski season......pun intended...

A number of years ago, I wrote two articles for Pilot Getaways Magazine on ski flying. More recently, Zane Jacobsen of BackCountryPilot.org posted a slightly edited version of those articles on his website.

So, for those interested in a primer on ski flying, take a look at this link: https://www.backcountrypilot.org/knowledge-base/pilots/ski-flying

There is lots to learn in ski flying. There is also a LOT of fun to be had, and the potential landing sites are almost limitless.

MTV

A little late to this thread, but since it's been "re-warmed" and we are currently sliding into another ski season......pun intended...

A number of years ago, I wrote two articles for Pilot Getaways Magazine on ski flying. More recently, Zane Jacobsen of BackCountryPilot.org posted a slightly edited version of those articles on his website.

So, for those interested in a primer on ski flying, take a look at this link: https://www.backcountrypilot.org/knowledge-base/pilots/ski-flying

There is lots to learn in ski flying. There is also a LOT of fun to be had, and the potential landing sites are almost limitless.

MTV

i read this article this morning and found it to be a great refresher before getting back on skis. Hopefully the NW will have some real winter this year. Last year was a big disappointment. And maybe why I've held off on putting the skis on.

In in reading the section about turns reminded me of my inability to not throw in aileron in a turn when on powdery snow. It is probably when I feel that outside wing start to dip. And I'm usually making this turn with some speed if the is much powder. Does everyone else do this too?

Anyway, a good article with a lot of good pictures too.

I stole this picture from the banner photos at the forum top. I love this picture, it should be posted everytime a new ski thread comes up.

Some days the fun meter is pointing south :lol:

Glenn

i stole this picture from the banner photos at the forum top. I love this picture, it should be posted everytime a new ski thread comes up.

Some days the fun meter is pointing south :lol:

glenn

Rene that you down there its me up here. Hold on ill keep giving her throttle.

Back