Thread: Ethanol Free Gas in Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Ethanol Free Gas in Texas

Just FYI for folks in Texas. I found a refinery out of Corpus Christi that sells ethanol free 87 octane gas. You have to buy at least 500 gallons though. I and a few other guys split a 1500 gallon load (delivered to two areas). The price was $3.25 delivered from Corpus up to the San Antonio area.

I know some states have good availability on non-ethanol mogas, but in my area it's very hard to find.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    John, it IS hard to find in Texas. Are you storing it at the Kingsbury aerodrome?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I'm not at the Aerodrome, I'm just a few miles east of KBAZ. I have a roadable 500 gallon tank I keep at my house. If you want to stop by on a weekend I can fill you up, but my strip is only 700 feet long. Jim Hohlt and another guy over at Zuehl took 500 gallons also. I could give you his number if you'd like. I have another 500 gallons at our dealership in Seguin if you want to come by and bring some gas cans. We're not licensed to sell fuel for road use, but as long as it's only for your lawnmower it's okay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,
    Thank you for the kind offer! I actually own a J3 Cub (65hp) and keep it in Stonewall, about a mile West of the LBJ national park. 700ft is good for the J3, but the flight to get there would take eons Do you own a Super Cub? There are a few out here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which refinery is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Skunker, yes I have PA18-150...lots of fun, but not much faster than your J3.

Shotgun, it's called Startex Gas & Oil. They are the distributor but I believe they're owned by the refinery. That's all I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in N. Texas , Corsicana, Tx has, ethanol free gas. There is not enought to go around. Some of the guys drive over with 5gal cans to get it. When I go Flyfishing up on White River ,out of Mountian Home, Ark. The Citco stations have big signs Ethanol free gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it's weird. I tried to find ethanol free gas stations in my area on the internet and they just don't exist. It seems there are plenty of places in Oklahoma and other states. It really puts a damper on the fun for those of us with autofuel stc's.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Citco stations have big signs Ethanol free gas
    And Venezuela sure appreciates the business.

Post Thanks / Like
    pure-gas.org

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shotgun, it's called Startex Gas & Oil. They are the distributor but I believe they're owned by the refinery. That's all I know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I know them but don't know which refinery they are getting it from. Only about 6 to chose from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Luckily we have two locally owned gas stations in Graham that sell ethanol free gas.
    Steve Pierce

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I had never heard of Graham, TX until the other day I was heading up north and happened to glance at the GPS just in time to see Graham. Reminded me of a time many years ago when a couple of buddies and I landed at Possum Kingdom and "borrowed" somebody's pick-up (there was a magnetic key box under the fender) to cruise around the lake. Don't know who's truck it was, but it sure was nice of them to let us use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    180 Marty, 2 years ago , a friend went to Venezula Flyfishing. I asked him if he noticed the price of Diesel, He said .32 or .36 cents a gal. But the most interesting thing was ,all the Mega Yatchs, out in the bay waiting to be fueled up.

Post Thanks / Like
    180 Marty, 2 years ago , a friend went to Venezula Flyfishing. I asked him if he noticed the price of Diesel, He said .32 or .36 cents a gal. But the most interesting thing was ,all the Mega Yatchs, out in the bay waiting to be fueled up.
    Pretty interesting. Sounds like Citgo has to be pretty profitable. Wonder if any of those yachts were really tankers in disquise loading to haul fuel for up here?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sailed long distance races down to VeraCruz, Mexico. I thought about buying diesel and bring it back, if I had the right sailboat. Bruce Roberts design kit built. There diesel is 500parts per millon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    And Venezuela sure appreciates the business.
    I'd rather give my money to Hugo then be forced by Barak to put 15% ethanol in my lawnmower. If it comes down to a vote between Charles Manson and Barak Obama I'll take crazy Charlie because at least I know where he stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has there been any new updates on non-ethanol fuel availability in the San Antonio area? Still looking for some...avgas is clocking around $6 in Fredericksburg...ridiculous. Seriously hampering my enjoyment. I got a 50gallon fuel tank on a trailer that I'm looking to fill up with autogas somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fly to Castroville or Hondo $4.95 and 5.05, just a short hop.

Thats what we do from KERV!

Post Thanks / Like
    agbq81, I got a J3 cub and keep it in stonewall, so it'll be a long flight for me. I came upon a guy on a BMW forum talking about a gas pump in San Antonio that has no ethanol. The post was dated 3/2012. I registered on that BMW forum and waiting to hear back from him.

John Ewald, do you have non-ethanol gas at your Boerne tractor store?

Post Thanks / Like
    Startex Gas & Oil, they are on Facebook, with map, address, phone number, etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Starte...58571520841206
    I fly IFR (I Follow Roads).

Post Thanks / Like
    VP Racing Fuels sells an 87 octane fuel called MR12. They also have about 50 other specialty fuels. http://www.vpracingfuels.com

I'd inquire as to whether a stabilizer is required to prevent the fuel from going stale or varnish accumulation. They also sell C9, which supposedly doesn't go bad and lasts 2 years in the sealed barrel. That's 96 octane.

I've been told Jim (with the DC-6 at Zuehl) buys from them. He also flies a Cub, BE-18, and T-28, so I'm not sure which fuels he's buying from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a tagent, the new "Super Legend" Cub is going to be powered by a Lycoming 0-233 (I think?). My understanding is that this engine will be certified for 100LL and auto-gas with and without ethanol. Does anybody know anything about this engine? Any chance this technology will be applied to the 0-320 and 0-360 series?