• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Catto 86" prop

mongo

I just ordered a new prop from Craig Catto, it is a 86/38 and he thinks it will have close to the same static thrust as his 90" but it will still have some cruse speed.
I will post some result once I receive it in a few weeks.

:):):):):):):):)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Mongo,
That sounds So SWEEEEET !! What you runnin for an engine with that Prop ? I am seriously considering one of Craigs Props for My project, I have an O320 with a little of Bart at Aero sports magic installed, about 175 HPs..... can I run a prop like that on an o320 B2B ??

Rick

Mongo,
That sounds So SWEEEEET !! What you runnin for an engine with that Prop ? I am seriously considering one of Craigs Props for My project, I have an O320 with a little of Bart at Aero sports magic installed, about 175 HPs..... can I run a prop like that on an o320 B2B ??

Rick

Talk to Craig Catto. He's getting a real good feel for which prop will turn with what engine.

I have a stock O360
Turn an 84/42 2450

I'm more pumped about taking 20lbs or so off the nose than anything.
I would buy one soon as he said the price is going up next year.

Cool. I have been thinking about getting one. Do you have any thrust numbers so you can compare before and after? I have the Pawnee prop (84/43) right now also. 20 lbs off nose would be nice.

I can not stop smiling, they started on my prop today....
Stay tuned results to come

Looking forward to seeing your results! I had a three blade Catto on my RV, and LOVED it. Craig is a true craftsman, and KNOWS what he is doing. 8)

I also had a three blade Catto on a RV6..turbine smooth!!

The weight savings and smoothness would be great. Craig must be cranking out props alot faster than he used to!! How long from ordering to projected delivery?

Results

I have had a lot of experience with the Catto 90" props and they are really, really awesome. They pull great and they cruise faster than the metal 90" props. Although, I do have a few questions about the 90 inchers that I hope the results of the 86" will answer.

I have always wondered if the supersonic air over the tips of the prop is detrimental to performance. With an 0-375 it is easy to make the prop bark when the plane is sitting still with the brakes locked, although 'still' is a relative term because the brakes are not powerful enough to hold the plane still at full-power on anything but asphalt.

I am hoping that the air accelerating over the tips will not be supersonic on the 86" prop because then it will give an accurate comparison of whether or not the supersonic air is detrimental to the performance of the tips of the prop. It is pretty clear that longer props give a higher thrust and a lower cruise so the best prop will be the one that is the most efficient at the longest length.

Maybe the 86" Catto is the answer... Can't wait!

Mongo,

What's thre Word on the 86" Catto? did you Get it yet? I am anxious to hear your results................

Rick

Last edited:
I received the prop today and it is a piece of art.....
Having mag troubles though so won't get to test it for a bit.

Rush fixing your mags!! I'm waiting your result to see if I should order one. I have a McCauley 1A200-FA8242 (2500rpm) and looking to spin something better (for short takeoff) and have a second prop to switch bettween floats and wheels...

In speaking with Craig Catto which if your interested you should,they tested this prop against a Boer 84-42 on a 0-375 and it was far better.
Shorter takeoff, tail came up quicker and easier, and improved climb
Along with 20lb weight reduction.
Cruise was slower as you would imagine but only about 6-7mph I think he said 92mph @2400rpm

My calculations show the following using an stock O-360 for power
82-42 = 640 Thrust@2500
84-42 = 677 Thrust@2450
86-38 = 749 Thrust@2450
90-32 = 857 Thrust@2400

Mongo,

So, there is an honest 20 pound weight reduction between a McCauley 82 inch prop and this prop???? Or are you talking the difference between this prop and a Pawnee prop? I have a hard time believing this propeller could be 20 pounds lighter than a "Borer" propeller.

But, maybe....

MTV

Mike I had the 90" Mac. and now have the 84" Catto the weight savings is 23lbs

Mongo,
this sounds like what i need for my newbuild Cub. my mission is 'Bush', does your new prop have a nickel leading edge? i want to lose that weight off the nose to balance the O375 better.
cheers,
Phil

They all come standard with the nickel leading edge now.

The Pawnee props still seem to produce more static thrust for a given diameter than the Catto (about 2%), but the Catto are a few MPH faster and half the weight. And sexy

Ok so I got it on but the weather is crap so I haven't flown it yet, but I have messed around on the ground.
It is as smooth,and a bit quiter than my 84/42
It definitely pulls harder and revs up much quicker
I think I may have missed the pitch by an inch 86/38 maybe should have got a 86/37 ,but its is still very early.

Waiting on good weather is such a pain. Tell you what, put that back in the box ship it out to me. I'll be happy to call you with the results of extensive testing. :wink:

Back