• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a Javron Cub

Folks

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It has been a heck of a run and it is not over yet. Still a LOT to get done before the 26th. First off I was wrong about the weight. It came in at 1059. So the new winner is Rob McChargue from Palmer Alaska who guessed 1058.5
I did not add the numbers. I was running around the hangar holding this, checking level, taking pictures, etc. Someone called out the numbers and another person was adding them up and obviously Shaker can't add. I just now got in the house and looked at the pictures. Pictures do not lie. We actually weighed the airplane twice on two separate sets of scales. Both sets came up with the exact same number for the total and the tail. There was a little variation left to right but only a couple of pounds and both indicated the left wing to be a couple of pounds heavier than the right.

P1030159.jpg

Right main

P1030160.jpg

Left main

P10301611.jpg

Tail Total 499+503+57 = 1059

P1030166.jpg

I did not take a picture of each part with the second set of scales I just took the total shown here. Amazing that both sets of scales came up with the exact same total.
So I feel pretty confident 1059 is the answer.

P10301621.jpg

In progress (No, SB the chocks were NOT touching the tires)

P1030164.jpg

You can see the second set of scales on the floor in the foreground

P1030158.jpg

P1030167.jpg

The weigh team L-R Shaker, Steve, Jim, and Tom. Chris also helped but he had to bail out before I could get a picture.

But WAIT, ...... theres more....... (order today and we will double......

P10301731.jpg

Turned on the power today. Nothing smoked. Had a couple of glitches but managed to sort them out. I'm sure I will find a couple of more details but it seems to be working as planned.

Thanks again folks. It was a great day. I am very very pleased with the weight. A full up, square wing, 0-360 cub with all the mods, 31's, full electrical, full interior, etc at 1059. I'm happy with that.

Bill

Do I win a prize Bill? Congrats on getting to the punch list phase. All in all it's a very impressive plane especially that small number! When I saw it in the hanger during construction I was impressed, I can't wait to see her fly.

Looks great Bill, Your weight objective has been accomplished. We can all start making airplane noises now. Will the hydraulic pump for the floats fit on those ballast supports which you have in the tail? Unless my math is in error at 12.66", your CG is very far forward .

Awesome job Bill! In a way it seems like that build went really fast. My fuselage is supposed to be finished from the welder this week and I will be referencing your notes for the entire build. Look forward to flying up and seeing you.
Denny

That has to be one of, if not the, lightest "equipped" 180hp super cub in the country! Congratulations Bill, hope I get to see it some day! Keep it out of the Clark's Fork!

Looks great Bill, Your weight objective has been accomplished. We can all start making airplane noises now. Will the hydraulic pump for the floats fit on those ballast supports which you have in the tail? Unless my math is in error at 12.66", your CG is very far forward .

I don't know about floats but that is a pretty good CG on wheels in my opinion from the Super Cubs I have weighed and flown.

I don't know about floats but that is a pretty good CG on wheels in my opinion from the Super Cubs I have weighed and flown.

Congratulations Bill! You're almost finished with just one more hurdle to go to get the Airworthiness Certificate in hand.

Curious about the CG comments I looked up the CG from my PA18 when I owned it. The empty weight was 1131 and the EW CG was 10.0".

The ones I have been around that were between 9-10" EW were nose heavy if you were flying light by yourself. Bill Tracy moved his battery back to stock location and went from a 9.33" to somewhere in the 12s I think. He said it flew a lot better. I guess it all depends on if you are loaded or not as well.

Most guys I know with the under seat battery mod are leaving a 10 pound or so survival pack in the aft part of their extended baggage.... Keeps the empty CG back to around that 12 inch mark that everyone likes...

Brian

Mine is 14.13" on floats and calculated to be 15.5" on wheels. The empty weight is about 170 lbs higher. I try to fly it between 17" and 20" for best overall performance.

Are we sure we aren't using different datums? Sounds like a possibility to me by the numbers some are giving.

That 200" is at the tailpost I believe. I always drop a plumb Bob and measure come up over 200", I will have to look but different fuselage and maybe gear combinations come out to different lengths.

Congratulations,Bill! And a great big thank you for all of the information that you have been so willing to share in this thread! Our hats are off to you!

Congratulations,Bill! And a great big thank you for all of the information that you have been so willing to share in this thread! Our hats are off to you!
Amen to that!

Well, I guess it's about time to sweep the floor, push everything back against the walls, and get ready for the next one.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. Yes, I weighed on the tailwheel. I do not use Piper datum numbers. I level the Cub and drop a plumb and use my own numbers (though I will admit they are usually within about an inch of the TCDS). I like having a little more detail as far as knowing where things likely are. I divide the lower baggage into 4 areas, have separate numbers for the upper baggage etc. I also prefer to use the prop face as the datum. Just my opinion. As long as you are really clear on what system you are using all is well. Use whatever floats your boat.
Actually, I am pleased that the CG appears (I have not had time to run the numbers yet) to be forward. Much easier to add weight to the tail, (remember I am set up for that) than to stick a Pawnee prop on so I can go camping. But Pete is thinking amphib floats, and yes, I will probably be out of the forward limit on the Wip 2100A's and I will have to add a little tail stinger with lead in it to compensate. I was a little concerned that I would be light on the nose and that is great if you always fly empty but can be trouble when loaded for Alaska.
Adam - Thank you for that link

P1030175.jpg

Ordered some camlocs today. They come in two styles, slotted head and phillips head. I recommend you get the phillips. The slotted ones look nice but it is REALLY easy for the screw driver to slip out and you will put a magnificent scratch right across your cowl. The phillips head is much better at retaining the screw driver. Just a suggestion.

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill,

You are going to be the focus of all the fly ins this summer. Beautiful plane and a super empty weight! Congratulations!

MTV

Outstanding!!!

Now that it's finished and you've proven, again, you're an excellent craftsman, you are welcome to volunteer the next year of your life to finish building mine. I'll even watch!

But seriously, I hope you can spend the rest of your life doing everything you hope to do with your Cub. You've earned it.

Congratulations!!!

P1030177.jpg

I have been seriously pushing this thing hoping for a Johnson Creek debut. My friends have really helped speed up the progress and, as in my last build, this has been the best part. Having a bunch of top class individuals hanging together, doing lunch, and working together is the best fun of the building process. Here Tom and Steve are helping with getting the datums. Because Jay at Javron builds the kit right to Piper plans the Piper Datums in the TCDS were spot on. Amazing really. My worst case scenario is me in the seat and no fuel, (perhaps I just ran out) 8 quarts of oil (not likely but possible) and in that configuration I am 1/2" behind the forward CG limit. This is good because in the opposite case I can load the heck out of the baggage compartment for camping, hunting etc and not go out the aft CG limit. I will need to use the ballast when local to bring the CG into a better "feel" point and plan to do so.

P1030180.jpg

Jim and I worked the baffling yesterday. Just a little to go. Jim has a Legend Cub and I have been privileged to fly it. Flies GREAT. Jim, Buck, Mark, Cal, Tom all have put me in great debt with their help and time.

P1030179.jpg

Buck doing the "I don't get it" thing. We could not seem to get the engine information system to talk to the Main display. Checked all the programming stuff, chased wires and discovered/confirmed they were correct and working, then back to programming stuff. Sure enough, Buck found it, buried in there was a default setting set to channel two instead of channel 1. Problem solved (several hours later) and now everything is playing together as it should. Whew. Thank heavens for smart friends.

Back to work, more "problems to solve"

Bill

Bill;
Fantastic empty weight. Thanks for sharing your build, it is one of the high points on the web site as far as I am concerned. How about that trip to Alaska now?
Cheers;
LiteCub

Back