• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a Javron Cub

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I appreciate the encouragement.

Bryan - The fabric is #661420 Marathon: Grey Heather 54"wide and I got 5 yards total cost around 75 dollars

It came from - Active Foam Products 6210 W. Douglas Ave Milwaukee, WI 53218 414-462-9220 I also got my seat cloth/material from them but the foam I used came from

Hi-Tech Foams 3710 Airpark Rd Lincoln, NE 68524 402-470-2346
I used....... 1 CF42 Soft/Pink - 1x18x48,
................1 CF47 Firm/Green - 1x18x48 ....... total cost at 152.00 but WORTH it.

Hope this helps

Bill

[Hi-Tech Foams 3710 Airpark Rd Lincoln, NE 68524 402-470-2346
I used....... 1 CF42 Soft/Pink - 1x18x48,
................1 CF47 Firm/Green - 1x18x48 ....... total cost at 152.00 but WORTH it.

Hope this helps

Bill[/QUOTE]

I thing this is Jim Fix of Fix Prop Shop.

He is a fix pitch prop guru.

Bill

We also went with fabric covered panels on our cub when we restored it a few years back..... This is the only pic I could find of the panels installed...

6336_133300712032_1332054_n.jpg

One thing we did on our panels is add a few "pockets" sewn onto the material before we glued to the metal. The cub never has enough storage for "stuff" when flying. The corners of the pockets have a couple of #6 screws with finish washers to keep them from tearing. Works wonderfully. Have the ones pictured and a couple more on the right side also.

Brian.

Attachments

• 6336_133300712032_1332054_n.jpg
    6336_133300712032_1332054_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 610
Brian - Good idea on the pockets. I will use that idea on the forward panels. Could also pre-sew in the airworthiness/registration pocket.

Folks

So back to the boot cowl panels. I went to a friends and used his rollers to get the forward curve started, but here is another technique that may help...

P1000967.jpg

Get one of these handy roller support jobs, you may already have one if you have a table saw. You can use it as a roller. Using your hand and....by rolling back and forth you can put a nice curve in a piece of sheet metal. I use it to finesse and finalize my bends.

P1000965.jpg

One BIG gotcha. Don't press near the edge of the roller or you will put a crease in the sheet. The above photo is showing BAD technique.

P1000966.jpg

Better. Keep your hand away from the edges. Don't ask me how I know this.........:cry:

OK that will do the larger radius front curve but the rear edge is pretty much just wrapped around the longeron so it is a much tighter radius.

P1000968.jpg

Clamp a couple of 2x4's together with a 1.5 inch spacer like this....

P1000969.jpg

Make sure you know where the bend needs to be and at what angle, then use a tube (like the horizontal stab through tube) and press it on the aluminum and down into the slot of the 2x4's and you will get a nice smooth tight bend.

P1000970.jpg

It will come out like this (the third or fourth time you do it :lol: ). Actually both panels came out for me on the first try so it really can't be that hard. Trust me, if I can do it a cave man can do it.

P1000971.jpg

From the inside.

Hope this helps

Bill

Make sure you bend against the grain. If not, the aluminum will most likely crack.

Whatever. I just like to make bends against the grain. Take it for what it is worth.

I'm curious....how can you tell which way the grain runs in a piece of metal?
You can see it. Sometimes it is difficult. Also, the lettering runs with the grain. Some alloys do not have the lettering, generally it is the soft aluminum which doesn't or just some commercial grades.

Whatever. I just like to make bends against the grain. Take it for what it is worth.

It's not possible to make EVERY bend always bend across the grain, depending on the complexity of the part being formed............which is why bend radii criteria were developed for different aluminum sheet thicknesses.

Bill, the fabric looks really nice. What does the fabric and cement add to your weight? :)

Stringerless??? I know of an amateur Cub build-up that forgot the stringers...............it's very obvious in flight....the fabric lays on every diagonal.......

Being a fabric rookie, I never tought about the fabric banging on all the tube... Just wanted to save some work-weight with my idea... Sorry for the dumb question.

Bill, your project looks really nice. You are an inspiration for a beginner builder like me. Thanks for sharing.

It's not possible to make EVERY bend always bend across the grain, depending on the complexity of the part being formed............which is why bend radii criteria were developed for different aluminum sheet thicknesses.

Bill, the fabric looks really nice. What does the fabric and cement add to your weight? :)

Stringerless??? I know of an amateur Cub build-up that forgot the stringers...............it's very obvious in flight....the fabric lays on every diagonal.......

Whilst you are talking stringers and fabric,I am taping my newly covered Javron cub,and am not sure what stringers to fabric over.Any help please.THANKS

Bottom longerons, top longerons (mid fuselage side) and top center stringer. DO NOT fall for the "they sent me 4 rolls of 2" tape so I must need to use that much" camp.

John Scott

I tape all the stringers and longerons. Piper didn't and Cub Crafters doesn't. Fixed too many airplanes prematurely because the top longerons or a side stringer wore through the fabric.

You would not tape the longerons where you are glueing to them, right? Tape anything the fabric touches and is not glued to, right?
DRL

Tape anything the fabric touches. ........and anything the fabric "might" touch also!

Piper didn't, and CC doesn't......for reasons of production ease I am certain.....but.........

I've fixed too many airplanes prematurely because the top longerons or a side stringer wore through the fabric.

Steve's aircraft Brian.....nice pockets!!!! Along with that idea..........Zippered "cash deposit" bags make a nice addition to a Cub interior....I have found very inexpensive small "organizing" or "tool bags" at the home improvement stores that I have pop riveted, snapped, velcroed, or sheet metal screwed to the interior panels like Brian did. I've also snapped and screwed them to the front of a Cub seat frame...It works great for extra storage of pretty much any item you'd want at hand while driving a Cub.

Bill,
How's the project coming ?
Where can I get interior side panels ?
What are doing to the interior on yours ?
Thanks

Couple more interior photos

P1000976.jpg

It is easy to see that the top of the panel is tucked under the door base, but it is also tucked under a lip at the front edge of the door and the aft edge. This was done that way on purpose. Nick Smith did it on his kits and I asked Jay to do that for me as well. He may be doing it on all his kits, I'm not sure. The front and rear lips are kinda small only about an 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch. If you go this route you might want to ask Jay to give you a little more room say 3/8 inch lip would be better. The nice thing about this is it is a clean installation and it also protects the panel from getting torn up getting in and out of the door.

P1000977.jpg

P1000978.jpg

This shows the panel to close off the extended baggage when not in use. Removable with 4 screws. The top part will be closed off by the headliner.

As far as taping the fuselage, I agree with Steve Pierce, longerons and stringers, but also under the door there is no stringer so the fabric also hits the diagonals and this is area gets pounded by the prop blast pretty hard so it might be a good idea to tape ALL the tubes in this area. Just my opinion and that's not worth much.

Bill

Little drift. You don't need a cup holder. I got this for Christmas, it doesn't leak even up side down. You have to push the spring loaded button to drink and it all comes apart to clean.

018-8.jpg

Glenn

I have a bicycle bottle holder clamped to the left front seat support. Really easy to grab your drink bottle and put it back. Very light and out of the way. Don

You would not tape the longerons where you are glueing to them, right? Tape anything the fabric touches and is not glued to, right?
DRL

I think you are talking about taping over protrusions prior to fabric installation. I am talking about reinforcing tapes over the installed fabric.

You are right, that is what I was thinking about. Great, after all my lurking and my first post shows everyone I don't know what is being discussed.:oops:

Thanks
DRL

You will never no if you don't ask. We all read things differently and it is hard to describe things in words sometimes.

Back