• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric: how old is old?

jait0

Spokane
Looking at a '69 SC that has been well-hangared but hasn't flown in 17 years. Only 1600 hrs TT, very clean. But after 42 years and 17 years static in the hangar, can the fabric still be in good shape? I haven't punch-tested yet. Obviously, along with engine replacement, rubber, etc, the health of the fabric is a big component of the offer price. Just assume recovering or is there life left in the fabric? First-time SC shopper so recommendations appreciated.

1970 was when Piper started using Ceconite fabric so if it is original I would imagine it has cotton. I think you would be in for a restoration project for sure.Plan on spending more $ restoring than you would just buying a nice Super Cub. Sounds like it would make an awesome project but will take lots of time and money in my opinion.

My dad bought his J-3 in 1971 and recovered in '72 with cotton. Always hangared but flown regularly through the years, the fabric finally degraded to a point about five years (2006) ago my brother put a finger through the top of the wing fabric just aft of spar while climbing up on the tire. So he got 34 years out of it, undersides are all still good and punch fine, its the tops of the surfaces that have degraded over time due to sun exposure while it was out flying. Just data for comparison... I'm guessing you're looking at a recover soon, if anything so that you can look at all of the structure thats underneath and inspect for corrosion...etc. Lower longerons, tail post, interior of wings...places like that.

Steve Pierce hit it on the head about the time/money issue. Personally, I would like to inspect the detailed structural aspects of the plane after 42 years - regardless of the official "punch test" of the fabric.

My J3 was covered in 1974 and when it was blown into a tree while parked in 2006 the fabric (ceconite) was still in great shape. However, the false spars has eroded to next to nothing due to mouse piss.

Pat

Yeah. Time to pull the fabric off and have a look, especially at lower longerons. Piper was not known for sealing the steel all that well - they shot a coat of black lacquer or something on there, then covered it. Wings should be perfect, but still time to look.

Back