• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bill Rusk - Down but OK!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Bill Rusk lost his plane today in a reservoir in Montana en-route to Alaska. He had to swim 200 yards to shore and was treated for hypothermia. They have not found the plane yet. I spoke with him this evening and he is doing well.

We are all very happy that he is OK. Planes, even ones you pour your heart and soul into can be replaced, but people can't.

I'm sure Bill will update us with more info soon. Meanwhile, Bugs66 (Christian Sturm) is taking good care of him.

sj

Bill, sorry about losing your beautiful airplane, but sure glad to hear you're okay!

Anne.

Bill, so sorry for your loss. 200 yards in cold water sounds no fun. We're glad you are safe.

Oh, MAN!!! That is NOT great news, but I'm glad he managed the swim to shore. That water's gotta be COLD this time of year. Hopefully he'll recover shortly. Sorry to hear of the loss of that beautiful airplane.

MTV

What a shame. It was such a nice looking plane that you worked so hard on. I'm definitely glad you are OK but real sorry to see you loose your plane and all the stuff that went down with it. Hang in there Bill.

Jerry

Last edited:
Bill, If you want I will come get your plane when the time comes and keep it in my hanger if you need that kind of help. Glad your okay Please call me and let me know what I can do to help.

Bill Ingerson

Bill, I am so sorry for you. I am also SOOO glad to be able to tell you that. That airplane can be fixed.

Bill, you are one tough cookie!!! Thanking God for whoever taught you how to swim!!

You are safe and the rest of the story can now unfold however it is supposed to.

The lump in my throat is just starting to go down.....so I'm going to go have a beer now.

All my best to you,
bk

Bill,

As said in the other thread: The Highwater Chicken is here, ready and available with 31" bushwheels, GPS with fishing holes listed. Return with some fuel.

I will join you when I can, but you will be on your own some also.

George

Jeez, sorry to hear this. Bill, I just commented on one of your pics, so dont take it the wrong way as I did not know of your "adventure". You have lots of friends and you will get it back. Maybe a new moniker though "Beaver" and I say this in jest as I too have swam in the cold water. Dont even know you, but by the looks of your bird I can tell where your heart is. Take care. If you get to FAI look me up.

jk

I'm just ill to read this Bill. Thank God you're OK! Sorry for the loss, but as SJ said, replaceable. I hope to see you soon. You have lots of friends here and support when you need it.

Bill
so soory to hear about loosing your cub, Glad to hear your ok. Best wishes
itsgpk

Bill:

Glad you are ok, but I suspect you have a heavy heart this morning. I really enjoyed your long thread when you built the cub, and learned a lot from you, and your determination.
While most of the rest of the world is content to sit on a couch with a six pack and TV remote, you were gone chasing a dream. There's not a lot of risk involved on a couch. I am in awe of your spirit, and know we will watch you rebuild the cub bigger and better. I wish I was in MT this morning to help you.

Jim Crane

Bill, what Jim Crane said goes for me, too, bigtime. My plane is yours to use, too (but no 31" tires :-( ). Your spirit is so admirable. Really glad that you are OK.

Randy

It made me sick to see the title of this thread an happy at the same time to find that you were alright! Good luck with whatever comes next (hopefully a successful recovery of your plane) Great news to hear that you are ok!!

Hey Bill, real sorry to hear of your unplanned adventure...........looks like you can write a book now!!!!!!!! you have quite a support network here......and I'm sure in no time you will have that bird as good as new. Were you on floats? Wheels? What a bummer that something had to give right over a lake.
Denny

Bill, glad you're ok. That's what matters most.

I too enjoyed your thread and lived a bit vicariously through your pride and joy. Hope it can be fixed.

Bill - I just couldn't be sorrier to hear of your misfortune. Really really glad that you made it out okay. I can't imagine your feelings with the loss of this aircraft that you put so much effort and heart into. Hang in there buddy - the airplane can be replaced - but you and your contribution to this community are invaluable and we are all so grateful that you made it though this in one piece. If there is anything I can do to help all you have to do is ask.

Bill is okay, I talked with Bugs "66" last night and he is taking care of Bill. Alot of people are standing by to help him when he needs it. Seal Team 6 could learn a few tricks from Bill

Bill Ingerson

possible salvage assistance

Bill I own a commercial diving business in western PA. I would be glad to assist you with loaner tools such as lift bags etc. to assist in your salvage effort. possibly could physically assist if scheduling could be worked out. sorry for your troubles, very happy you are ok. Rich Riley 412-551-4817

Bill we also have side scan sonar and other tools to assist in the effort if that would help you find her.

Back