• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

new fabric

L16abe

ct
what is the cost to recover j3 plus paint from a reputable company, cub is flying now, need price for redo, plus i would think they would have to pull plane apart for complete job

In the lack of further information, I'll assume you are talking about a J3 that has not been apart for 20+ years.

Paying someone else (your "reputable company") you best figure 800 - 1000 manhours at shop rate - maybe you can cut a flat rate deal? Materials for recover are approx $5k. It's all the other stuff that adds up to the additional $25k. :cry:

John Scott

the plane was done back in 2004 it got caught out with bad hail damage so is it 25k added to the 800-1000 hrs at what rate?or is that 25k for total job take apart redo and but back together best quess?

I just had my wings recovered using the Poly-Fiber process. Price was $5K per wing. That price included materials and labor. While the wings were uncovered, we replaced the aileron cables and wingtip bows, which cost a little extra, approximately $400.

the plane was done back in 2004 it got caught out with bad hail damage so is it 25k added to the 800-1000 hrs at what rate?or is that 25k for total job take apart redo and but back together best quess?

Assumption was entire aircraft needed rebuild. Reduce the pricing in my original post significantly for the manhours required assuming just recover. Materials for recover entire plane still approx $5k + labor to strip and recover/paint.

John Scott

Run an ad in the Atlantic Flyer soliciting bids, you may be pleasantly surprised. Jim

Depends if they did the rebuild correctly.

I personally would not go with the lowest bidder on something like a recover job.

Tim

1000 hrs for a recover job? Damn at $60 @ Hr that's $60,000 for a cover job? You have to be kidding? I'd haul it to the dump and buy a Cessna before I'd pay $60,000 for a cover job.
Most mechs here, charge $50-$60 Hr. If the mech is set up properly, time for recover will be "around" 200 Hrs. $12,000
This would be for "cover" only. You pay for supplies. Any repairs would be charged at shop rates.
Take it to Brian down there in oregun. His shop rates are reasonable and he is a good mech.
Shop around. There are lots of small one man shops who will do it for 1/2 the price of a large shop. They will also do a good a job. Ship it to Kenai, I'll do it for $15,000 and grin all the way to the bank. :)

A neighbor who has, among other aircraft, a Pitts (S-2 I think, 300 hp. anyway), is getting it recovered at the the factory in Afton. The first time since he bought it new 20+ yrs ago. He mentioned it was going to cost 34K...., the same guy who did it the first time was doing the work again, price aside, I thought that was pretty cool.

Fabric

Any recommendations for wing covering in western Oregon? Hours to recover two wings without flaps? Thanks

I would check with Rowena at Santa Paula. She only does dope, but she has an excellent reputation. Still in the 15K range if no airframe work needed. I could not do it for that.

The shop we use charges $13,000 for a complete cover job on a cub size airplane. That covers all labor and materials in the Stitts process all the way to silver. any repairs and top- coat paint is extra.

I'm doing my J3 now....just finished the wings and tail feathers. I used envelopes ( I know...why oh why) They worked good. I paid $6K for materials thru Lockhaven Yellow PolyTone....Add if using a shiny Thane....I don't remember how much. If you have the time try it yourself....i've had fun doing mine.

Do these prices include removing the old fabric and prepping for the new fabric? What percentage of the labor does that add up to?

In the lack of further information, I'll assume you are talking about a J3 that has not been apart for 20+ years.

Paying someone else (your "reputable company") you best figure 800 - 1000 manhours at shop rate - maybe you can cut a flat rate deal? Materials for recover are approx $5k. It's all the other stuff that adds up to the additional $25k. :cry:

John Scott

If someone needs 80 full days of hard work to cover a Cub, they should be in another business. 800-1000 hours?

Unless it is a hobby, it makes more sense to sell your airplane and buy another with more recent cover and engine. One local sale involved an L-4. Seller told me he invested $125K, and I sort of believe him. Sold it for $50K.

You can buy excellent J-3s with recent everything for 35K. Not opinion.

This is a question I get a lot. Never have I just recovered an airplane. I guess if someone brought me a 1988 Husky I might get by with it but usually it has been 30 plus years since the airplane was recovered and that is all they did back then so you have 40,50 or 60 years of wear, tear, rust and corrosion to contend with. Like the thread several years ago where Christina said none of us knew what we were talking about because her airplane got restored in a few months. There is IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) and there is a restoration. Restorations can make the airplane better than new. There are different levels of work as well. I can cover something really fast and it will last and be fine but I wouldn't be proud to say I covered it. The details take time. It all depends on your time and pocket book.

And sooooo many things can change/(shift $ to parts$ from hours) the amount of "hours" depending on if you farm stuff out or do it yourself...

I happily farm out all the steel blasting and powder coating, I hated blasting and painting all that, that also reduces/shifts the cost from MY hours to just an expense for the project

Or if you buy a new part compared to rebuilding/stripping old one, like a crunched bottom cowl...but most all the aluminum parts I make new, it takes me less hours compared to striping them(what the heck was the paint piper used in the 70's that so darn hard to strip!?)

or if you buy a completed boot cowl and just install it, compared to just buying a firewall & building the rest yourself and making it fancy and removable sides/top etc..

(many lowest bidder shops give ridicules lowball estimates to get your job, but still charge you the hours it actually took and then you fight as the project blows by that $)

like Steve said, when I am done it IS better than new

I remember an interview I saw years ago with Dan at Dan's Aircraft. He quoted two guys for one month on a complete rebuild of a Super Cub. That's 320 hours. I charge $80 per hour most shops are higher. $25,000 to $30,000 for a complete rebuild of a Super Cub (labor only) seems fair.

If anyone in western oregon needs any fabric or full restoration done Dave Adams is a couple weeks away from finishing his work on my PA-12.

Anyone can stop by my hangar in CVO to check his work on my 12 or my friends j-5 that is just about to fly.

Dave works out of his shop in Elmira. He does nice work.

Contact me for his number.

Recover Wings PA-12 in Florida

Does anyone know who can recover wings and/or preferably in Florida.
I have heard of Harry Wellbridge, but can get hold of him.

Sean.

If anyone in western oregon needs any fabric or full restoration done Dave Adams is a couple weeks away from finishing his work on my PA-12.

Anyone can stop by my hangar in CVO to check his work on my 12 or my friends j-5 that is just about to fly.

Dave works out of his shop in Elmira. He does nice work.

Contact me for his number.

You can try John Snead, he's retired but you may be able to talk him into it. If you can get him to do it you'll be a happy man.
386 467 3004

OK Harry is covering my plane. I will keep you all posted.

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

Back