• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

911 from Eddie Doyle

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I just spoke with Charlotte Doyle and she has received a "911" signal from Eddie's Spot Locator. Apparently he went out to some island, and the signal is being sent from that island. Charlotte said a C130 is being dispatched as I write this note to search for him.

She cannot answer the phone for fear the rescue people will be unable to reach her, and she is quite upset. I just notified SJ, and he will phone her now, and will keep us updated.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Eddie right now.

Randy

I just spoke with Charlotte. She is waiting to hear from S&R what the status is. It should not take long for a C-130 to get to Kayak Island. I will post more when I know more. Hopefully everyone is OK just stranded.

sj

I have a lot of faith in Ed. If he punched the button he will b ok. Say your prayers for our good friend. Ive got his spot,,, zoomed in and looks like some sort of beach on the south west end of Kayak island.

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I Hope Ed is OK. Can somone post his spot link? It looks like he's on a gravel bar?
I pray for his safety this evening.
We all know he's a damn good pilot, so I hope for the best. Keep him in your prayers.

Both Eddie and Dan are fine. They are being taken to Cordova by helicopter. I'm waiting for a call from Eddie to see what happened. They are fine...not even a scratch. The Alaska search and rescue folks were absolutely great.
Charlotte

That is great news Charlotte!

sj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Folks,,, that just scared the hell out of me.... I'm gonna slap the crap out of him for scarin me like that.....

First post on this site but a long time reader. I have to so i am so impressed with the way this forum is so in tune with all the member that it feels like one big family...

Good on you guys and I hope everything is fine for Ed

FLanman

Everyone should have a Spot at a minimum! For the little money it is, it really can be a lifesaver. Glad they are safe and sound.

Holy Crap....I just tuned in to the site and see THIS..!!!.....

Sure am glad Ed is OK.....

And I agree....the SPOT and SpiderTracks are better than any ELT for these situations......

Brian.

I just talked to Eddie...engine sputtered, quit so he set it down in a marshy area. No damage to the plane except for one landing gear. Landing gear problems seem to be common with Cuzoom! He is hoping that Steve Pierce is still in Valdez!!! and Mike Stitzell (from Valdez who helped replace a landing gear on Friday!!) was planning to come out to Kayak Island tomorrow anyway! We have been married almost 47 years and, I must admit, I don't like these situations! But I know Eddie loves to fly, Cuzoom is a great airplane, and all will be ok tomorrow. Thank all of you for your concern. You are all the best of friends!
Charlotte

Thank goodness Ed and Dan are OK! I join others on the ability to call for help on Spot or Spidertracks. I got a new Spot Connect at the Aviation show. Coming and going to Valdez, sent a text across the Spot, wife and back up buddies knew I was in the air. Sent another text when landed. They could do the flight following if worried where I was in between. And BTW, buy the extra service for the $100k of helicopter support, it is like only $20/year to add on. Worldwide. In this case, our good boy Coasties were close and could go get um.

Sure glad everybody is OK. Planes can be fixed, and I expect with all the expertise not too far away it will be in short order.

Glad to hear Ed's OK and no injuries. Looking forward to a good story around the campfire.

Well Sounds like Steve P. is going to be busy again. Don't go anywhere without your "American Express Card" or Steve Pierce.

Bill

:eek::eek::pirate::splat::onfire:Just got in from dinner....

And holly CUZOOM!!!

Kayak is not that far from Cordova... and needing rescue....

Wow!

Thank you Charlotte for the info. The good news is if we hit a button on spot, we are responsive, if only an Elt it can be bad...

I have tomorrow afternoon and days after off, and can be at Kayak by five tomorrow if you need another set of hands, about five hours flying from here...

If you patch it together and limp to Juneau, I have an overhead hoist, welders, hanger, Milling machine and other stuff to help fix stuff... Let me know if I can help. my phone: (907) 723-0435

Also, Bob Miller at yakutat, has the BIG hanger and FLY SHOP on the main ramp, loves airplanes and I bet could help get going if you get that far...

Email: outback@alaska.net

Standing by here if you need stuff... I also have a set of cub gear legs in the hanger if that helps...

Wow, I was shocked by this thread but glad him and Dan are OK. We were all leaving right at the same time and it looked like weather was moving in. Glad it's just a blip in the engine and another great landing from Eddie. I wonder if the hair on the top of his hat stood up when the engine sputtered.

Jerry

Charlotte, THANK YOU so much for the update and info! Ed is clearly smooth under pressure and I'm sure we'll end up hearing about his best performance yet. I do wonder about the 911 vs. the HELP call with no reported injuries. Maybe Dan and Eddie didn't want to spend the night with the Big Brown bears on Kayak Is. as opposed to something we aren't hearing. Is the old lighthouse out there on the SW side of the island? I've never flown around it as I've always seemed to hit weather around Controller Bay. Through the weather it always looked ominous out there off shore as you head up the coast. "not that far from Cordova" doesn't sum up the environment if you're not familiar with the area. Just REALLY happy to hear about the good outcome!
I'm hoping the reports of your maintained health and the minimal damage to Cuzoom are accurate. Here's hoping the rest of your trip home is less eventful.

Last edited:
I am so happy that they are ok!!! (and glad I was already asleep when this unfolded) Charlotte I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that! Can't imagine your worry!!!

Thanks SPOT people and Search and Rescue People!!!

cafi

PS Flanman We ARE one big family! Welcome!

That Ed ,What a card now he is landing on 30 x 30 marsh tops.
Good News Charlotte
John

Good news for what began as a very scarey thread. I zipped to the last post in hopes eveyone was ok, and thank God they were. Thanks for letting us know, Charlotte. I'm sure with all the emotions you had going on, it would have been easy to stay away fron the computer to update us here.

Sounds like there is a lot of help out there for Dan, Eddie and Cuzoom!

Back