Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve. Don't forget to take pictures for us.

StewartB
    You could take a Flat Stanley along for the ride. Share the adventure with your son's school.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, SJ sent me his old Blackberry smart phone and Cathy set it up for me so I plan on starting a Blog here on the website of Tal and my adventure.

Stewart, That is an awesome idea. I will talk to them on Monday. His pre-K teacher would have loved it because she spends part of her summer in Alaska. Great idea, thanks again.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve: Sort of between Billings and GTF is Winifred.... Big hangar, sod strip, heated lounge, cheap gas, and my camp trailer are available. Ralph Rogers
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Clear and cold in the morning, clear and warm in the afternoon...

Coast is the way right now, hope it does not burn itself out before your arrival.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centmont View Post
    Steve: Sort of between Billings and GTF is Winifred.... Big hangar, sod strip, heated lounge, cheap gas, and my camp trailer are available. Ralph Rogers
    Ralph:

I'll second your suggestion of Steve and Tall planning on a fuel stop in Winifred. Your little community sure knows how to "roll out the Red Carpet" or should I say Turf Strip for Cub Drivers. My plans are to fuel at winifred on Tues. or Wed. the 26th or 27th on my way to Alaska. I'll be chasing Steve and Tal. Maybe we'll get an opportunity to firm up plans for the Black Hills Roundup and Winifred flyins. Hope to see you soon.

Ray
    "Those that take risks may not live long, but those that take no risks never live at all"

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, After Ft.Nelson fly direct to Watson Lake instead of following the highway, which is a circuitous route in the mountains. I knew a fellow who took the wrong turn on that route. He is not coming down for breakfast. A direct route is north of the higher elevations and can be flown at 3,000 feet.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Pierce, it sounds like youll have the red carpet rolled out for ya if you have any delays, everywhere except Oklahoma. Just go over the pan handle and you wont have to be there long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now hold on tempdoug, Steve knows he's got the hanger apartment, food, drink, fuel and anything else he needs anytime he stops at OK18.

Also
    I third the suggestion that Steve and Tal stop in Winifred if they are in the area, the nicest people you will ever meet are there and they will take very good care of you.
    Thanks ak49flyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So when does the expedition depart and are you going to complete EM before you go or do I have to listen to it's new owner whine while you're gone...
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    If EM is that Okie's old bird I can say he was working on it earlier this evening. I think he was zip tying some wing ribs back together!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve if Stewart sends you his Spidertracks can you post a link to it like you did the spot? It would be interesting to compare the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm putting all these great stops in my notebook and taking notes on does, don't and short cuts as well. As for EM, I used up all my good rope and bailing wire so I think it will be ready to test fly in the am. Tal's got a new SPOT and I should have the Spider tracks tomorrow so we will have a good comparison. I have been overwhelmed with theses posts, PMs, emails and phone calls. I really appreciate it and can't wait to finish everything up so we can head out. It was 100 degrees here today and Tal is melting and extremely excited about heading home and many flying adventures this summer. Just hope we can convince him to come back next winter. He has been a great asset to the shop and fun to fly and hang out with. Hopefully tomorrow night at this time we will be packed and anxiously awaiting sunrise.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue skies!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=okmike;496579]Now hold on tempdoug, Steve knows he's got the hanger apartment, food, drink, fuel and anything else he needs anytime he stops at OK18.

We offer 'bug dope' for repellant here in AK, are you offering 'Eaton dope' there?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve and Tal,

Have fun, be safe, and by the way I'm jealous! Thanks for letting us explore vicariously through your tracking... Kathy, if you need anything just call and we'll send the militia!

Tal you need to come back next winter!

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Tal and Steve,

Should be a great adventure. Looking forward to reviewing your stops and experiences. Fly safe and enjoy.

MartyC

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys be careful. Have fun! Wish we could tag along.
    Last edited by jaypratt; 04-19-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Jay Pratt
    Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve: Somewhere between here and Texas the weather really changes. Montana got ca. 4 in. of snow last night. If you have room, bring some of that heat with you. Call if you head this way, we'll make sure we are around. 406 462 5487. Ralph (Winifred)
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve if MT is to cold swing this way blue skys and mid 60s. by the time you get here we'll probably be leaving anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the Spidertracks link and my Spot link

Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...R5F5ZcWodnNCU0

Spidertracks https://app.spidertracks.com/home.mv...wlhYQqRF38lscl

Thanks everyone for all your tips, we really appreciate all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Work is as done as it is gonna be and we are almost pack and ready for a break of dawn departure. Thanks to Stewart for the use of his Spider Tracks, SJ for the Crackberry and all the tips, well wishes and offers of places to stay from everyone. Got lots of phone numbers and will see where we end up. We will update with pictures etc. Can't wait to be on the way.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve, this is going to be fun for us also. We will be checking out your trail and storys. Have fun

Bill Ingerson

Post Thanks / Like
    And they are off......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-04-20_07-15-04_796.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	943.6 KB 
ID:	2021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-04-20_07-19-32_362.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	734.3 KB 
ID:	2022

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve, this is going to be fun for us also.
    I agree. Whenever I made any long trips, I was like a little kid saying "are we there yet".

StewartB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal Erickson View Post
    Here is the Spidertracks link and my Spot link

Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...R5F5ZcWodnNCU0

Spidertracks https://app.spidertracks.com/home.mv...wlhYQqRF38lscl

Thanks everyone for all your tips, we really appreciate all the help.
    For anyone who wants to view the track on Spidertracks, open the link, click on Latest Tracks on the yellow box at the upper right, and select the track you'd like to see. The current or most recent will be at the top of the list. If you look right now the boys are crossing into Oklahoma. You can convert the view to satellite and change the scale to get an idea of what they're seeing out their window. If you click on any bubble in the track you'll get flight data for that report including time and position (similar to SPOT reporting) but also will see ground speed, altitude, and heading. Ground speeds should be fun to watch as they encounter winds both favorable and unfavorable. We may see them hunting for altitudes to ride the winds as well. Fun stuff.

Tal's using the cigarette lighter to power the Spider. Since his power socket is connected to the master he can leave the Spider plugged in and not do anything more with it over the entire trip. Each time the plane is powered up the Spider will begin a new track and will continue that track until powered down. As long as it's plugged in there's no further input required by the pilot, it'll just work.

Stewart
    Last edited by StewartB; 04-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart, it must take someone smarter than me to open a Spidertracks webpage. Nothing I click on opens anything. Spot seems much simpler and foolproof to me.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

StewartB
    You're entitled to your opinion. I have no trouble viewing the Spidertracks page through the link. Familiarity is an advantage. That's why I tried to provide some instructions of how to see the current track.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart

The Spider tracks appears to work really well, with this system you buy block time on a monthly basis and it is use it or lose it correct?

I can see some advantage over my spot with the frequency of reporting.

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart, there seems to be a login. Maybe you've got a saved cookie that is letting you in? I get nothing useful from the link.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with my unpopular Linux that works great I can see they are just south of Texola.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Spider is very cool. Seems to send out a new location every 2 minutes versus 10 minutes for the Spot. This is fun watching. I'll check the winds and see how much they're being slowed down. Thanks Stewart !

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool---now they are NW of Texola. I can't type fast enough to keep up with that rocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    It works fine for me....3500' at 62 kts outside of Amarillo...

StewartB
    A perhaps not-so-objective observation? I can see with the Spidertracks that the boys have stopped at Wheeler Municipal Airport. With the SPOT? I can't tell that they stopped or where they stopped.

In respect for the spirit of the thread, this is about Tal and Steve's grand adventure. I'll re-ignite the Spidertracks thread to answer Dale's questions and any others. Let's enjoy the boys' journey, even if only vicariously.

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like
    So much for avoiding Oklahoma... need to check to see if they paid the toll, but then again they were west of Altus (a true garden apot... NOT)!
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB View Post
    A perhaps not-so-objective observation? I can see with the Spidertracks that the boys have stopped at Wheeler Municipal Airport. With the SPOT? I can't tell that they stopped or where they stopped.

In respect for the spirit of the thread, this is about Tal and Steve's grand adventure. I'll re-ignite the Spidertracks thread to answer Dale's questions and any others. Let's enjoy the boys' journey, even if only vicariously.

Stewart
    Stewart, click on the "Hybred" button top right of the spot screen and you can see a map/sat image combination with place names... pretty easy to tell where they stop.

StewartB
    You can interpret the reports that way I guess. The boys are moving again. The Spider has initiated a new flight leg beginning at Wheeler. The original leg will remain viewable as well.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    came right up and works fine, great to watch, I have the Spot but maybe Ill take a look at the Spider, I like that 2min. report.

DW