• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My Zenair 2200 Amphib Floats Project

Bugs66

Spokane WA
Howdy Folks,
I thought I would start a discussion thread where I can provide updates on my float project. I will be photo documenting the build on my web site (www.supercubproject.com), however will use this thread for chit chat on the subject.

I just received the "basic kit" from Zenair and will be starting soon. I finished my intitial inventory and will begin the jig construction next.

For more information on Zenair Float products, go to www.zenairfloats.com
Here is a sample video from HomeBuiltHelp.com on how they normally go together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHTy30NURsY

Photo of majority of kit components and drawing sample:
IMG_0403.jpgIMG_0405.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 324
Can't wait to follow your project CS. You have been a big help and inspiration to many people. Good luck.

chad

Great to hear you take this project! I know many of us will be following and receiving high level of education! are you bloggin your progress? Seem appropriate, this way any reference to a specific post you place and the leading threads could be easily followed not only while you build, but also long after!

[Edit] OK, I answered my own question, looked at your site and saw your blog:D [/edit]

All the best!

Last edited:
I was just in the factory last Tuesday night for a chapter tour, and had been asked a few months ago by Mathew if I would build all their pre-builts..which I declined for family health issues and the resultant lack of time.

My biggest piece of advise that I can offer on Zenair floats, after looking after (build, modify, repair, maintain) numerous sets for a couple of decades, is to be sure you make access holes somewhere and somehow. Once the bottoms go on you have no access to attend to leaks, check for corrosion etc.

Good luck with the build and look forward to watching it progress.

Attachments

• zenair1.jpg
    zenair1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 182
  • zenair2.jpg
    zenair2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
are you bloggin your progress?
Yes, right here via old fashion discussion thread.

be sure you make access holes somewhere and somehow
Yes, I agree. I will need to be creative. Because the top of the float has a walk way channel and is structural, will probably need to put pump-outs on upper sides. Will put one storage locker with access just below the walk.

Bugs,
Was there a particular reason that you chose the Zenair floats over the Montana or Clamair floats? I have positive experience with the Montana's, one factory built set and the other a kit, but absolutely none with the other two makes. I am just curious since I assume that you checked them all out.

Bugs,
Was there a particular reason that you chose the Zenair floats over the Montana or Clamair floats? I have positive experience with the Montana's, one factory built set and the other a kit, but absolutely none with the other two makes. I am just curious since I assume that you checked them all out.

First I wanted a kit. I don't believe Clamar is a kit. Second is affordability. If you check the numbers on any of these you will understand my choice. The Zenair also has simpler construction methods. There is a combination of pull rivets and hard rivets where required. Third, I feel confident in the customer support of Zenair/Zenith family. I am not knocking any other manufacturer or implying the opposite on them.

No but have flown Edo 2000's. Very similar. I don't know of anyone who has flown the Zenair or Czech 2200's. This is experimental aviation dude!

Yep, and so are Montana floats--as well as well proven performance. "Similar" isn't "the same". But, give us a pirep once they're done. Should be a fun build in any case.

MTV

Bugs,
It would be a good idea while in the construction phase to consider a method to visually see the gear up and down position from the cockpit. Landing with the gear in the wrong position is all too common with amphibious floats and can be disastrous. Do not depend on an electric light. They sometimes give false information. At the very least place a mirror on each float in order to see the opposite landing gear. And/or a hole in the top deck to be able to see the gear position directly.

Bugs, I look forward to following your build. From our earlier discussion I thought you'd be getting your kit about now. I looked at the Zenair site back in February and also stopped at Montana Float when we went to Libby for a HS basketball game this past winter. The Montana Floats look really nice to me so it will be interesting to see what you think of yours as you progress. I'm always either in the middle of a project or looking for a new one to start too.......

will probably need to put pump-outs on upper sides.

Or just put drain holes in the bottom:p:p

(sorry, bit of float, or sink, humor this morning)

But seriously, put mirrors on wings so you can look down and visually see ALL Four tires and confirm their position.

There seems to be about a 10% fatality rate for gear down water landings, and very few people escape unhurt.

Gear up on land is not good on equipment, but should not kill you; gear down in water is a bad deal, even if one piece breaks and is hanging...

Thanks all for advice. I plan on 3 warning mechanisms, 2 mechanical and 1 electronic. Here is my electronic solution: http://www.flyingsafer.com/Products%20Exp.htm

For mechanical, will put barber poles (or similar) on float tips that display gear position. And second, will put mirrors on wing.

Finally, before I take any passengers on my amphibs, will make sure my checklist routine is solid and the floats are well dialed in.

I realize nothing is 100%, but nothing in life is except...d&t.

Last edited:
one outfit here that had amphibs and flew every day used a simple plastic sign on the dash that said "Water- wheels up" on one side, and then it hinged down to say "land- wheels down", Velcro held it up, and they would move it as part of the pre-landing checklist.

They had a great safety record, and it was a good check, and simple.

Back