• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Crashes his Supercub in the forest and walks away

djipibi

If this has been posted elsewhere, please delete.

An experienced pilot crashed his Supercub in a pine tree forest.
C-FVKD was a super machine

C-FVKD Piper PA-18-150 Super Cub @ St-Mathias CSP5 DSC_7891 par djipibi, sur Flickr

other pics : http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=c-fvkd

Story about how it crashed isn't out yet (pilot hasn't released details, Transport Canada inquiry not completed)

11.jpg

But this video will show you how the plane looked at the moment of retrieval from the forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTMfj2cYNQ

Picture of the pilot after his crash at 1:13

Pilot walked away from the crash and was recuperated by a pilot friend.

It is said they had dinner together that night at a restaurant.

Incredible machine, great airmanship, a "bit of luck" and a Supercub.

They say a Supercub protects his pilot.
Can't be more true!

And here a tidbit filmed by the pilot as he was walking his way through the forest.
(Sorry the audio is in French) but I guess you will admit this must have be quite handy after living through a crash like that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4oz42uGUpQ

That's all I have for now

J-P

Wow! We had a member and his son do that a number of years ago and walked away too!

sj

A very very lucky man! To find a toilet after that.

More importantly---what the hell is an electric toilet doing in the middle of the woods in Quebec? Having worked with the 22nd Canadian Regiment in Northern Quebec many years ago, I am familiar with the fact that the Canadians have a thing about heated outhouses. It is a double edged sword. You aren't getting frostbite taking a sitdown in the woods when it is minus 50 (and that doesn't include the windchill), but the stench is beyond belief. Minus fifty or not, I refused to use the outhouse.

Pretty remarkable crash BTW!

Those dang trees....they're WAITIN' for ya, all the time!

Glad you weren't hurt....

JPRussell:
Since you have intimate knowlege of the French Canadian language, could you roughly traslate what the pilot is saying? He cant be singing heading to an outhouse after he piled his cub into the trees?

JIm

JPRussell:
Since you have intimate knowlege of the French Canadian language, could you roughly traslate what the pilot is saying? He cant be singing heading to an outhouse after he piled his cub into the trees?

JIm

He ben maudit, maudit, maudit, qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ce sentier là.
Well, well, well, what the hell is this? What's this path here?

Mais où ça mène ces traces de pas? Où c'est qu'on s'en va?
Oh where are those foot prints leading? Where are we going?

Des traces de pas. Mon Dieu c'est quoi? Qu'est-ce que c'est ça?
Foot prints. My God what's that? What is this?

Ça ne se peut pas!!!
This can't be!!!!

Ben oui! Une toilette panoramique, une toilette électrique.
Oh yes! A panoramic toilet, an electric toilet

Eh ben. On est bien la-dedans. On voit tout le bois.
Well. We're confortable in those. One can see the forest.

Ça c'est inspirant!. Une toilette électrique qui brûle la marde pour qui reste rien.
That's inspiring! An electric toilet that burn **** so there's nothing left.

My apologies to the author (specially since I didn't write the words are they are said exactly).

Now, one asks if it is possible that he sang as he was walking through the forest... I don't know Louis that much but I can say it is highly possible and plausible.

J-P ;-)

Okay-so here's a question that has something to do with this thread.

So watching a Vietnam era Holywood film, it shows the troops (in this case Charlie Sheen) incinerating the sh*t from the latrine, and I notice that the Electric Toilet also incinerates the sh*t.

Now, I'm the first guy to admit that I don't know sh*t about sh*t, but why do you burn sh*t?:confused:

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but.....

The FAA used to have Incinolets in remote VORs so the technicians could answer nature's call while at the site. There were a few downsides. If the unit decided to fire whilst you were still reading, things got interesting in a hurry. You wanted to wait to close the lid until you were ready to leave the site for the day. The air intake for the facility was usually downwind from the Incinolet exhaust. If the thing decided to malfunction after you left, you might not have a VOR to return to. Some sites converted to composting toilets in the 80's for a whole new set of problems.

I liked the pano view from the outhouse in the woods .... in the boundary waters the view is not impeded by the plexiglass.

Amazing crash survival & recovery too. Thanks for posting.

Wayne

I can't wait until Canada decides if it wants to be French or English.

We are waiting for Goliath to decide if he wants to be English or Spanish...

I guess that would be a great translation JP, my French is non existent. He sure sounds happy though, I guess I would be too if I found a heated crapper in the bush. Blue rockets in February are not much fun.

Another testament to the greatness of the Supercub, survivability. I hope he gets back to flying again soon.

VVV

Now, I'm the first guy to admit that I don't know sh*t about sh*t, but why do you burn sh*t?:confused:

High water table, shallow bedrock, or sensitive zoning means you can't dig a hole for an outhouse. Incinerating toilets are usually intended to be used several times before burning. The burn cycle takes quite a long time so it's usually timed for the middle of the night. Masking foam is used to cover the accumulation in the burn bowl. Composting toilets don't work well in the frozen north. Sometimes turd burners are the best alternative.

SB

Louis knows the details.. but if we keep poking fun we may never hear it. I'm sure he's waiting to do his TC interview before disclosing anything. Maybe he was circling that glass outhouse and trying to figure out what it was, or where he was going to put his cottage in relation to it... I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later as he's always been a wealth of information here in the Helio threads.

Home.jpg

BURNING SH*TTERS

Eagle pilot---

You asked for it.

There were strategically placed in and around the working and sleeping areas, mostly two and three holers. Beneath each hole was a fifty five gallon drum cut 1/3 of the distance of the length of the drum. The drum was filled halfway full with JP or diesel fuel and placed beneath the hole. Each day a sh*t truck arrived at the two holer and emptied the drum and refreshed the JP/diesel and at some appointed place, poured the contents into a larger vessel and set it alight and it burned for hours. Whenever you see a picture of a base in Vietnam and black smoke on the perimeter---it is burning sh*tters. The military personnel assigned to the sh*t truck often took exception to their present assignment and to get payback, they would drop the various rolls of TP into the JP and place them inside the two holer. When you get inside the two holer sans your own private stash of TP, which everyone with any sense carried, you were forced to use the JP impregnated roll. It was not uncommon for some dimmer Marines to be regulars at sick bay as their azz was raw and irritated due to JP-4 induced dermatitis.

Last edited:
Back