• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Useful Piper Drawings Made Easier to Obtain

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
The Short Wing Piper Club has taken advise from SJ and I and made their drawings available via internet download. The Vagabond Drawings Vol 1 is very useful to anyone restoring any Piper rag and tube airplane or building one from scratch. There are a lot of drawings of the small parts common to all these airplanes and I have found them very useful when working on everything from the J3 all the way to the Pawnee. You pay with a credit card and it downloads the drawings to your computer. Quicker and easier than calling and ordering through the mail.

http://www.shortwing.org/catalog/swpc-cd-collection-digital-downloads

Steve - Which downloads would you recommend for 2814Z? For those not familiar, it's a PA-22/20-150.

If you own a Short Wing Piper I would recommend both sets of drawings. Piper Drawings Volume One has most of the drawings associated with the Vagabond, Clipper, Pacer and Tri-Pacer. There are some detail drawings that apply to Super Cubs etc. especially the wing parts. The Vagabond Drawings were obtained from the estate of a man that had a deal to buy the Vagabond Type Certificate from Piper and includes most every drawing to construct that airplane. The thing I like about Piper is they used the same parts on all these airplanes, especially wings so with the Vag drawings you get the small part drawings for all these things ranging from special washers, bushings, felt parts, drag wires, nipples etc. I use them to see what type of material the parts are made from to see if plating is an option without hydrogen embrittlement as well as figuring out which washer goes where and on and on. I am an information junky and use the Northland drawings as well as these two sets all the time. Kinda funny that I am posting this after they filed a lawsuit against me last year but that should tell you something. ;-)

Kinda funny that I am posting this after they filed a lawsuit against me

You're a man of honor, Steve, and, hey - good info is good info!! Thanks.

Clyde mentioned the Vag drawings to me - having them in a download is that much better - takes the work out of it (you know - licking the stamp, filling out a form :wink:)

We have been telling them that for years. Glad to see it finally happen and i imagine it will help their cause. the proceeds from these drawing downloads go to the Short Wing Piper Clubs scholarships to students wishing to enter an aviation career so not only are you getting some very useful information but you are also helping a kid get into aviation.

It doesn't surprise anyone that Pierce would take the high road and move on. That's really something to admire and a good lesson for me. I've struggled lately with a similar situation and I hope I can learn from Pierce's example.

Back