Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting the Most Out of the New Forum Software

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the Most Out of the New Forum Software

INTRODUCTION

GETTING STARTED - HELP MENU AND LOGGING IN

BE SURE TO WATCH THIS ONE ON SEARCHING AND TAGGING!
    Last edited by SJ; 12-04-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, I like it a lot. I have updated my settings, fixed time stamp, changed signature, responded to posts and uploaded a picture. I must say that when others start messing around with the new set up they will like it; much easier to use. Great job SJ and I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. Videos are always nice for us visual learners.
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you Marty. SJ, I had a couple of hang ups but I think I got them ironed out on my own by exploring. I tried to add a picture to my post and it worked. I just did it by trial and error. The only thing I can't seem to fix on my own is the avatars. At work, the avatars are small and clear. At home, the avatars are much larger but they are grainy. the pictures aren't in focus. I've tried to fix them on my own via the "settings" format but no dice. How can I make them clear? Why would they be clear and small at work but large and grainy at home? At work, I have a large monitor(rectangular shape 36"????). At home, I have a smaller monitor(square shape 18"????). I don't think that the monitors would have anything to do with it...would they?

I'm sure I will find some other areas I don't understand but overall, I think it is a good system. I think it will be easier to understand for others as time goes by too. My opinion only. Thanks.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, hit CTRL-0 (zero) when looking at your screen and see if that puts it in perspective. Sounds like your view is zoomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Control 0 does not work. It doesn't do anything....kinda like just pushing the shift key.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, do you know what resolution your monitor is set to? Right click an empty spot on the windows desktop, go to properties, and then the settings tab. See what it is set at. My guess it is 1024 x 768 or less - low res for these days.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

It is 1024x768. Is it too low? Do I need to get a better monitor?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't find my albums in the photo section, guess they weren't worth keeping

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim.....I could be wrong but I think SJ said he has some work to do on the photo gallery. Send him an email though just to make sure he's aware of what you are finding.

cafi

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim - Did you try going to the Photo Gallery, logging in (upper right hand corner) and then clicking the "My Photos" link on the left side at the top? I notice that I don't appear in the "Member Galleries" at the moment either but when I clicked the "My Photos" link at the top of the gallery home page (left side). All my photos came up so they are there - just not showing in the "Member Galleries" list. Worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found them

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job SJ. I have been "working" the new search for my wing build and lovin it! One complaint . Why when working old posts are the picture links (I mean the SC.org picture links) gone so often or re-directed back to the home page? Maybe it's just temporary.. dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

There are going to be unresolvable issues like that, especially links back into the old forum software. It was just impossible to convert them. If they linked to the photo galleries, they should still be there, but if they linked to an old forum post, they might be gone. Give me an example and I will look into it and see what I can do.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm busy today but I'll try to get an example. It's frustrating finding a juicy bit from Wayne M or Jerry Burr and following an important picture/chart etc. and having it gone. I'll try to maybe find a "work-around" when I do this. Maybe if I look in one of their galleries I can find the target and then give a more meaningful symptom to you. Don't take this wrong Steve. The new system is golden to me. Solved all my search "wants".

Post Thanks / Like
    I interface with the forum primarily thru the newest posts list. Previously it was the "posts since last visit" (which I prefer)

Two questions: in previous version I could save that page as a bookmark and it would open straight to the list. New Posts page doesn't seem to support that, I still have to click the link each time to refresh. Also when I reply to a thread it doesn't show for me in the " New Posts" page.

Third question...tried to embed a YouTube link. Didn't work. Don't think I did it wrong either. I just pasted the link in...correct?

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post

Third question...tried to embed a YouTube link. Didn't work. Don't think I did it wrong either. I just pasted the link in...correct?
    it sometimes does it right...

the part it leaves out is in the first "[video" tag make it like [video=youtube;xxxxxxxx then put the close bracket..... replace the xxxxxxx with the stuff from your youtube url... like the =LyviyF-N23A part of [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A[/url] then add the closing bracket.. which I am not doing here or else it will try to interpret all this I am typing....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    I interface with the forum primarily thru the newest posts list. Previously it was the "posts since last visit" (which I prefer)

Two questions: in previous version I could save that page as a bookmark and it would open straight to the list. New Posts page doesn't seem to support that, I still have to click the link each time to refresh. Also when I reply to a thread it doesn't show for me in the " New Posts" page.

There is a little video (film) icon when you select go advanced. Click it and paste in the URL from YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like
    vBulletin Message

Sorry! This forum is not accepting new posts.

Help, Where's the quick link to start a new thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    it sometimes does it right...

the part it leaves out is in the first "[video" tag make it like [video=youtube;xxxxxxxx then put the close bracket..... replace the xxxxxxx with the stuff from your youtube url... like the =LyviyF-N23A part of [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A[/url] then add the closing bracket.. which I am not doing here or else it will try to interpret all this I am typing....

[*video]Put your video link in here(remove stars)[*/video]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortysix12 View Post
    vBulletin Message

Which Forum? Where were you when you hit Post New Topic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Test using new fangled phone the kids are making me learn at gunpoint against my will...

StewartB
    New question. This new software allows us to view who's on-line and what they're looking at. I'm familiar with this function from other websites that utilize the same software. However, this site has a significant lag in update times compared to other sites. Why? Is that an administrator setting that's been selected on purpose? Why not use shorter update intervals?

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    where do you view who is on line and what they are looking at.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found it. Just hadn't looked long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortysix12 View Post
    vBulletin Message

"Which Forum? Where were you when you hit Post New Topic?"

My problem too! Where is this "Post New Topic" button anyway?

StewartB
    Where is this "Post New Topic" button anyway?
    Open the home page. Select "Discussion Forums". Select which forum you want, like Cafe Supercub, etc. Look in the upper left for the "+Post New Thread" button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart, I upped the time a bit because people were complaining about being logged off when their session time expired.

New posts: To make a new post go into the forum category you want to post in, say, "Cafe Supercub" and click the big blue "+ Post New Thread" button.

For example, you can see it here at the top in Cafe Supercub: http://www.supercub.org/forum/forumd...-Cafe-Supercub