• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wolves

Blake

Minnesota
I am going to do a self guided Wolf Hunt in Canada next month. I have experience calling coyotes, but not wolves. Are there any predator callers on here? Things I should do differently?

Are you going to be doind any baiting? I don;t have coyotes where i live but alot of wolves. I have tried a few calls but think i have had best luck with howling. May sound stupid but if they are around they will answer especially if there is more than 1. Hope this helps. Where in Canada are you headed?

The majority of wolves I have called in were during summer at rendevous sights where/when adult wolves leave the pups after they have departed their den sights. I would just cup my hands and howl or you could use a funnel of some sort similar to moose hunting. On most of these ocassions the wolves would be young and curious and not come to the call but show themselves briefly or answer back....I did this while trapping wolves for the USDA...Often times near a kill sight.

When coyote hunting, using an older style Ed Sceery howler which looks like a transmission funnel, I have on 2 ocassions called wolves at a distance but not had them come in within decent range. 200 yds or less... Wolves and coyotes don't mix well and out of curiosity I am sure the wolf was looking for an opportunity but also showing caution...

This you tube video shows an AK wolf being taken with what sounds like a snowshoe hare call. The hunter seems honest in the fact that you need to cover alot of country to call one in. I would venture to say it will be difficult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsYFynnb34g

Hunting over a road kill deer or moose would probably result better but then it really isn't the same thing. Calling in a predator is pretty cool. Especially when their are more than one..

I like the Critter calls and this video is short and to the point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAmCtZ4c7Fg
It would work on wolves that are in the mood to be called.... I have had alot of disinterested predators observed while calling. Some which were spotted at great distance with binoculars and then stalked to calling range. Many do not respond because they are content with full bellies or whatever. Wolves the same.... Have fun.

I second the howling. They respond well to howling and it does not have to be great, however most do not come in so you may have to go to them depending on terrain.

I third the howling....But another way to bring wolves in is, take your hunting dog with you....Let him piss all over the wolves territory...That really seems to set them off. Then the howling just adds to the insult of being in their territory...They will come in looking to kick some ass.....

Bullets plenty of bullets, we don't have wolves yet but the natrualist want them here, my opinion is kill everyone you can and hope someone else get the ones you don't. I just started baiting the coyotes at my place because they have killed most of our deer heard. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the advice on howling fellas. I use howling to locate coyotes in the Dakota's to be a more efficient hunter but have never done wolves. I have a Foxpro Electronic call and I see they sell 3 or 4 wolf downloads on their website. I would love to prebait but I dont know exactly where I am going yet. Somewhere north of Kenora. I am bringing a tracked ARGO and snow shoes to get deep. I should ask my girlfriend if I can borrow her Jack Russel Terrier as a decoy. :p

wolves

Hello are you coming up my way I live in Atikokan , if you need a guide i may be available also have some bait and there are allot of wolves around to many
wolf_kill.jpg

Sounds exciting Blake. You're welcome to drop in for a meal or overnight here on your way through, we're just three miles off hwy 53.

Mark Johnston

Douten said:
Bullets plenty of bullets, we don't have wolves yet but the natrualist want them here, my opinion is kill everyone you can and hope someone else get the ones you don't. I just started baiting the coyotes at my place because they have killed most of our deer heard. Good luck on your hunt.

Do whatever you can to keep them out. And remember whatever the environmentalists and feds tell you about minimum numbers of breeding pairs, quotas and sub quotas etc. will be a lie. And its especially bad if they cherry pick their activist judge like they do in Montana.

wolves

I'd think about taking a good utility snowmobile instead of the Argo. You may need to cover a lot of ground to find a pack, and the Argo will be very slow. Good luck.

For a nominal fee, I will ask Ol Bear Dawg if he is interested in being "Bait."
misc2008005.JPG

I watched a Best of the West episode a few months back and they were calling wolves in somewhere in AK with a predator call set out on a river flat about 5 - 600 yards from their location on the hill, they shot one or two everyday using that predator call..... if I recall it was filmed in the spring .....

Well I made it!

I hunted with my dad and two buds for 5 straight days doing nothing but predator calling. We did 20 stands and had two encounters. One of the most difficult hunts I have ever done (Deep Snow, few roads, -30 temps).

I think next time we will bait them instead as it seems alot easier. Now I want to find a place in Alaska to try and get one.

I am hooked on wolves more than my Cub I think :lol: This kill was at 31 yards.

DSC00043.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

bad wolves

Good for you Blake. Where did you end up hunting? If you are ever looking for another destination, you would be welcome over our way to shoot a few, we have way too many, they are eating all our deer up. Snowshoed our trails this afternoon and one had marked his territory up and down the trail. Ate the neighbors dog last year.

Blake,

Nice to see that you scored on a wolf. I was fortunate to shoot an alpha male artic wolf 15 years ago in the Northwest Territories at 325 yd while on a central barren ground caribou hunt. Boy did he stink! Are your jacket and pants manufactured by Sleeping Indian Designs? I'm in the market for some wool winter camo for coyote hunting and would appreciate your PIREP. Thanks.

Thanks Crash.
I know one of the guys mentioned in the story. He will look you in the eye and lie like dog.

TL-
Good observation!
Yes the outfit is sleeping indian designs. I just got the setup about 3 months ago after hunting out of Carhart for ever. I only wish I made the investment earlier. I broke the bank with the purchase but the fact that you wont sweat and never get cold made it absolutely worth it.

Dino thanks for the note. I would love to come back up this year and am trying to plan aother venture north. I wish I had my cub up there to locate them.

Congrats Blake,
Nice looking wolf, that area around Kenora was loaded with wolves a few years ago, when we were out there deer hunting, they were walking in our tracks everywhere we went , and heard them calling many times while we were there, but never had a sighting............
We did get 7 nice big bucks in our group of 8 hunters , and the guy that didnt connect had 3 great chances at nice buck and just couldnt
Hit them........
Wish i had noticed the post earlier, as have a friend that lives in Kenora that is an avid hunter, knows all that country thru to Dryden........
But looks like you did good anyway................... And your camo looks great!
We had lots of fun messin with wolves in Alaska, and as mentioned above, a common dog is the best lure I know of. As the minute a pack of wolves sees a domestic dog they seam to instantly want to kill it. We had an old lab up at Sheep Camp in the Brooks Range and we had hunters shoot wolves more than once that were trying to put the creep on that old Lab !! We don't have true wolves here in Maine but we have sorta hybrid animal the locals all call Brush Wolves ??? Here is a picture of one [NOT photoshoped] we traped a few years back . Not sure what your wolf weighed but this "coyote" weighted right at 59 1/2 lbs.............
Bigdog.jpg

Attachments

• Bigdog.jpg
    Bigdog.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Back