• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Fuel Tank

utb 44E

SPONSOR
Largo,Fl
Annual in progress now and found my Right tank leaking around the welded fitting for the fuel gauge. So... looking for a right tank and also someone who can repair this tank.
I looked in to going with the Dakota tank but it requires removing the fabric and reworking the fuel bays because its a larger (23 gallon )tank.

http://www.fadodge.com/ can repair yours...

my customer had a set he removed to go to the dakota ones, not sure if he has them any more or if they sold already.. you might PM him think his handle on here is pa12drvr see if they are still available

didn't wag aero have some aluminum ones same shape as original? were they legal??

Thanks for the help Mike. Wag-Aero does have an approved RH and LH tank.
Anyone have any experience with these tanks?

have seen them in one -14, he was happy...

I always make sure tank fits flat in its bay without rocking or low spots, with wing properly rigged... just like you do with an atlee tanks so there is no stress on the seams....

utb 44E- I just removed a set from my PA-12 to install the Dakota tanks. Both were in good shape as removed. One was a "tern plate" and one was aluminum (I think). If interested, PM me and we can get details.

Mike

We used the Wag-Aero aluminum tanks in my son's 12 and they were legal and worked well. Just my thoughts, I would no way go through the hassle of changing out a tank just to reinstall an original steel 12 tank. They are prone to both cracking and trapping water because of their design. My $.02.

gpepperd said:
They are prone to both cracking and trapping water because of their design. My $.02.

Agreed! I have pulled them to repair, and had them leak in another spot only a few flight-hours later.

Soldered galvanized sheet metal...yuck!

I sure as heck wouldn't send them from Florida to Alaska and pay someone to re-solder a leaky joint!

My 12 came with 1 stock Ternplate Tank and the other had been replaced with an "Air Energy" Aluminum, no longer around I don't think.

Both leaked within the first year or two and I fixed each one a couple of times. Later replaced both with the Wag-Aero tanks.

Within months, one of them started leaking. Called Wag-Aero, and they basically "Sorry, we only sell them for the manufacturer, there's nothing we can do".

Unfortunately, it's a poor design and they all seem to leak at some time or another.

Still have my old tanks and they're available for the price of shipping, but I can't imagine that they are a viable option to put back in a 12 (although they are in relatively good shape for original tanks).

If you've got the wings open...much better to put something new and shiny in. :p

Those are Clarance Witt's Air Energy tanks. They are the best drop in tank in my opinion. Tried to buy the STC from the last two owners but they didn't want to sell. Hope they get them approved, I think they are good tanks.

Tim, Looks like rain for a couple of days, I'm up for a ride early next week. Jim

I put in a Wag Aero RH tank three years ago as well as the Cub Crafters STC for the fuel select valve. The Wag Aero tank hasn't leaked yet. You may have to do some new plumbing on the tank and installation of new fittings.

Put in the Wag-Aero tanks and forget about the problem. You will lose 25lbs +/- in the exchange as well. Have the new tanks modified for site gages and cross vent them with a drain front and rear on the right tank, change or drill the fuel selector to provide for "both".

I am sure there is an approved valve. CC uses one. You might be able to even get rid of your header tank with the replumb as I discribed. I did all that and it worked great, but that was a few years ago.

Header tank removed before I had the plane. I'll check Cubcrafters website. Thanks for the help.
Dave

utb 44E said:
Is there an approved/certified fuel selector for the PA-12?? Dakota Cub ?

As Mike pointed out, yup! DC11383 8) I don't have the official price list in front of me, but I think the one I have is still correct at $325.

I don't have it up on dakotacub.wordpress.com yet, but I have pictures on my computer I can send you or there is the info sheet here: http://www.dakotacub.com/images/fuel selector - new products.pdf

Good luck!

I have a pair of Wag Aero tanks and a left/right/both fuel valve for my 12. I am also going to go with wing root sight gauges and get rid of the underwing ones.

N5126H said:
Put in the Wag-Aero tanks and forget about the problem. You will lose 25lbs +/- in the exchange as well. Have the new tanks modified for site gages and cross vent them with a drain front and rear on the right tank, change or drill the fuel selector to provide for "both".

Why add a front drain on the right tank?
(Sometimes I feel like I was born dumb and have been losing ground since then)

Skip said:

so the engine don't get quiet on long steep decent.....(with some gas in the tank, but unable to get to an outlet)

I had a PA-12 tern plate tank out for a leak repair once. I don't recall it being all that heavy. Exactly where does the 25 lb weight savings come from when going to the Wag tanks? Thanks, Jim

mike mcs repair said:
Skip said:

so the engine don't get quiet on long steep decent.....(with some gas in the tank, but unable to get to an outlet)

my misunderstanding I thought they were takling about a quick drain to check for water

Steve Pierce is spot on. Dakota Cub's valve is very nice. If you just want to replace your valve, it is a sure thing to go with Dakota Cub.

However, if you want the insurance of not unporting your fuel lines at altitude in a descent when low on fuel, go with Cubcrafters fuel system. Their fuel system incorporates the forward pick ups in their STC. It will be easier to go that route than trying to get a 337 Field Approval on your own for that mod.

Kevin

cruiser said:
I had a PA-12 tern plate tank out for a leak repair once. I don't recall it being all that heavy. Exactly where does the 25 lb weight savings come from when going to the Wag tanks? Thanks, Jim

You won't, actually you can't, it's not possible. The Wag Aero tanks may be a pound or two lighter than the "stock" tanks, tops.

Been down this road several times. He also used to claim "30 lbs lighter!".

Here's one of them, notice the date. :lol:

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3500&highlight=tanks

However, if you want the insurance of not unporting your fuel lines at altitude in a descent when low on fuel, go with Cubcrafters fuel system. Their fuel system incorporates the forward pick ups in their STC. It will be easier to go that route than trying to get a 337 Field Approval on your own for that mod.

Money well spent. I had two scares/engine quit re unporting at very low altitude. I put in the CC STC a few years back. Peace of mind amongst other benefits.

Back